Julia Soldatova, what happened? (2004)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Jarrett, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Anyone know what happened to Julia? I know she switched to representing Belarus but I didn't know in 2004 she skated at Russian Nationals and actually won the free skate and placed 2nd overall. Why didn't see see her at Worlds that year?

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Injuries.

After switching to Belarus, Soldatova decided to switch back but had to sit out international competition for two years due to a rule instituted after she switched the first time. (I believe she was also dealing with injuries during that time as well.)

According to this, she's now working as a coach in Moscow.

3. Jarrett

So she was named to the team in 2004 and withdrew?

4. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

I don't know if she was ever named to the team, but one thing I noticed in the Wikipedia entry for 2004 Russian Nationals is that she won the free skate but finished sixth in the short. Also, Tatiana Basova (the third-ranked skater at Nationals to be sent to Euros that season) finished in fifth at 2003 Cup of China and within 5.64 points of the podium, so I could imagine Soldatova being passed over altogether.

ETA: I should've read up on this before posting. It was all a bit complicated. A search of the archives says that there was a paperwork issue with Belarusian federation and that she couldn't switch back to competing for Russia in time for the 2004 World Championships. She was named to the team at first, but that was conditional on a green light from the ISU. Sokolova, Slutskaya, and Volchkova went to Worlds.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  5. Jarrett

Interesting. Thanks for the information. I just randomly looked her up after watching some programs from 1999. She really was a powerhouse in her SP that year.

6. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

She was great. I loved her short programes at the 2001 Euro's & World's.
    Shame about her coz she was a real talent.

7. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Really? I feel she was a very, very average talent at best, who only medalled at Euros and Worlds because she got tremendous political support from Russia as a result of Slute not being at Euros and Worlds that year.

I mean, her basics were just OK, her jump and spin technique was so-so (just reasonable spring, lip and pre-rotated sal, occasional cheated jumps, slow spins), she wasn't flexible, musical or charismatic. :shuffle:

The seasons she skated for Belarus, her marks dropped like a rock even when she was clean.

8. PashaFan

I liked her. She's not the only one to cheat her jumps. But she did have talent.
    And she was not the only one to have got political support.
    It's a pity she's gone.

9. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I mainly remember her for the way she'd pull her shoulders around on her backward crossovers. She looked very awkward.

10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I dont think it was really that political. She medalled since it was a super weak field. It is not like there is any skater you can say deserved the medal more that year, unless you think Malinina was robbed to not be placed above Kwan in one of the SP or LP which is the only way she could have passed Soldatova overall. If she skated for Russia I expect her marks would have still been very low in later years once the field built up again and she was passed by a slew of better skaters, if there was any chance she was even good enough to make the Russian womens team any year after 2000 that is. The fact a surprise 1 time World Champion like Butyrskaya could win Worlds so very easily by such a HUGE margin already gives you some insight into the field that year. Not to mention that Tatiana Malinina was actually that years GP final Champion, and was one of the favorites for Worlds that year. It was a transition year with everyone that mattered except for Kwan, Butyrskaya, and Gusmeroli either retired (Lipinski, Chen, Bobek, Bonaly), at a career crossroads (Slutskaya, Hubert), or not on the scene or far too new/young at that point (Cohen, Hughes, Nam, Volchkova). The field as it was mostly skated well for them, but it just wasnt a field stacked with elite.

She made the Russian team only since Slutskaya was in a major slump and Slutskaya and Sokolova were both out of favor with the federation for whatever reason around then. She only medaled at Worlds since Malinina made a crucial mistake in the short program, even though she beat her easily in the long program. It was a classic right place, right time scenario.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  11. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I thought her style and overall skating improved a lot in the few clips I've seen of her skating post 1998, but her jumps started going AWOL at exactly the same time.

12. PashaFan

Malinina was robbed. She never got the marks she should have.
    She was a real favourite of mine. She also seemed like a really nice lady.

13. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I loved Malinina, but that kitsch Alladin program wasn't worthy of an 11 year old novice, let alone a 26 year old senior skater.

14. PashaFan

I loved her 2000/2001 free skate. Her free at the 2000 Nations Cup & NHK Trophy were lovely.

15. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

:lol: Yes, that was very difficult to watch.

16. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

True, but Soldatova's programs weren't exactly masterpieces either.

Here is how I would call it:

1999 Worlds:

Ladies sp:

1. Bute
    2. Gusmeroli
    3. Rechnio
    4. Kwan
    5. Malinina
    6. Liashenko
    7. Soldatova

Ladies lp:

1. Bute
    2. Kwan
    3. Malinina
    4. Gusmeroli
    5. Rechnio
    6. Liashenko
    7. Soldatova

17. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Ouch! You really weren't a fan of Soldatova.

18. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

The Russian world team only once (1999).

She was sent to Europeans in 1998, having beaten both Slutskaya and Sokolova at Russian Nationals that year, but since both of those skaters had qualified for the Champions Series Final (and Slutskaya medaled at Euros), they ended up being sent to Olympics and Worlds and Soldatova ended her season at Euros (having won Jr. Worlds in December).

19. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

IIRC, going into the Olympic season Butyrskaya and Slutskaya were already pretty much sure-ins given their Worlds placements in 1996 and 1997. Butyrskaya's Nationals and Euros win that season sealed it for her. Slutskaya bombed (for her) at Nationals but medalled at Euros and GPF and so also got the green light.

For that last spot, Soldatova beat Sokolova at Russian Nationals, but Sokolova beat Soldatova in the free skate. Soldatova won JGPF that season but Euros was her only senior international competition, which she only placed 7th. Sokolova on the other hand was in her second senior GP season and actually made the GPF. Ultimately, I think the Rus Fed made a conscious decision that since neither was going to be a threat for an Olympic medal anyway, might as well go with the prettier one. :D

20. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

LOL, 7th is a bit harsh, but at least, I agree that I suspect political support to win that bronze medal. IMO, Vanessa Gusmeroli was better in the SP and in the LP.
    What bothers me the most, is that she had marks between 5.5 and 5.8 for artistic impression in 1999, then between 4.3 and 5.0 in Salt Lake City (2002).
    IMO, her overall skating was the same in 1999 and 2002, she was just less consistent in the jump department, and from Belarus.
    For the same mistake, Irina Slutskaya (also former bronze medal at Worlds) had between 5.2 and 5.7 in Nagano.
    I don't know.

21. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

IMO those skaters whom I placed ahead of her were just better, all things considered. She was just mediocre all the way through, kind of like an earlier version of a recent US skater who shall not be named. :shuffle:

22. judgejudy27

Gusmeroli did not deserve a medal at the 1999 Worlds. Her jumps were weak, especialy in the long program.

Kwan was also majorly held up in the SP at the 1999 Worlds and deserved 7th or 8th in that phase.

The podium after Butyrskaya probably should have been some combination of Rechnio, Malinina, and Soldatova.

23. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

A fall on a single element was .3 to .5 deduction. MK received marks between 5.1 and 5.5 for technical merit in the SP : that was marked fairly.

24. Jarrett

I dunno, I'm a fan of Michelle and even I think she was overmarked in the SP. :shuffle: She completely went splat on the axel, the landing of the lutz was questionable, she did the easiest solo triple, spins were slower than usual. The performance (like the her entire competition) was a little off and I am not sure she deserved the 5.8 5.8 5.9 5.9 5.8 5.8 5.6 5.9 5.9 presentation marks for Fate of Carmen. That said I don't remember the other skaters so I don't know if any should have placed ahead of her.

25. David21

David21 Well-Known Member

How can a 5.5 be fair when she fell on the double axel, had a shaky lutz combo and did only a triple toe as solo jump? That's mathematically not possible. :p

I was rewatching Worlds 99 the other day and I found Kwan's skating very lacklustre in that whole competition. Malinina, Rechnio and Gusmeroli (not to mention Butyrskaya of course) were all better than her IMO. Soldatova only in the SP, though.

26. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Malinina likely lost a medal in the short program where I thought she deserved to beat Kwan in that segment.

27. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Well to make note, Michelle had been sick with a bad cold/respiratory issues right before Worlds and was still suffering from the effects of that. So none of her skates really had that extra spark..

28. judgejudy27

A fall was a minimum .4 deduction. Kwan also barely held onto a shaky triple lutz combo, did only a triple toe, had a weak and ugly layback. A first mark of 5.4 or heaven forbid 5.5 was a total joke. The fall was disrupting to the program so the numerous 5.9s for presentation were also wrong.

Others like Rechnio, Liashenko, Poth were undermarked.

Even U.S reporters all agreed at the time Kwan was held up in the short program.

29. Jarrett

I agree that was the problem. Although by the exhibition she looked a bit better and did a great the red violin program.

30. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Under the rules in effect in 1999, the deduction for a fall on a solo jump was exactly 0.4. Not minimum and maximum -- that was the deduction.

Now, of course, the judges were free to set the base mark for the program as a whole wherever they wanted to, up to 6.0. So the maximum score for required elements would be 5.6 if there was a fall on a solo jump and no other mandatory deductions.

Within those parameters, there's room for disagreement.