Julia Lipnitskaya Wins! - JGP Milan 2011 - Results & Videos

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Another superb performance from Julia Lipnitskaya! An absolutely incredible score of 183.05. For a junior, that is amazing and it beats last years top junior score of 178.97 by Adelina Sotnikova. Remember, juniors skate for a shorter period and have 1 less element compared to seniors (i.e. in the free program, there is 1 less element - junior girls do not have to do a spiral sequence. Furthermore, a junior free program only last 3 minutes 30 seconds, whereas a senior ladies free program last 4 minutes). Hence, juniors have less opportunity to score points compared with seniors.

Result & videos from the ladies event at the JGP Milan 2011:-

1st Julia Lipnitskaya - RUS - 183.05

Short Program

Free Skate

2nd Anna Shershak - RUS - 150.21

Short Program

Free Skate

3rd Hannah Miller - USA - 146.74

Short Program

Free Skate

4th So-Youn Park - KOR - 144.71

Short Program

Free Skate

5th Satoko Miyahara - JPN - 143.24

Short Program

Free Skate

Leading Points Scorers After 6 Events

1. Julia Lipnitskaya - RUS - 183.05 (JGP Milan)

2. Julia Lipnitskaya - RUS - 172.51 (Baltic Cup)

3. Satoko Miyahara - JPN - 162.20

4. Polina Shelepen - RUS - 157.61 (Brasov Cup)

5. Vanessa Lam - USA - 156.58

6. Zijun Li - CHN - 156.40

7. Samantha Cesario - USA - 153.84

8. Polina Shelepen - RUS - 153.40 (Volvo Cup)

9. Courtney Hicks - USA - 151.91

Comparisons With The 2010/11 Season (Top Scores For Each Skater Only)

1. Julia Lipnitskaya - 183.05 - RUS

2. Adelina Sotnikova - 178.97 - RUS

3. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - 172.78 - RUS

4. Christina Gao - 167.14 - USA

5. Satoko Miyahara - 162.20 - JPN

Courtney Hicks withdrew prior to the Free Skate.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. miki88

miki88 New Member

Congrats to her! Does she have the highest total score ever in Juniors now?

3. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Wow, two semi triple-triples and PCS that would easily belong to top senior level?! I've got no words:)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  4. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Why did Courtney withdraw?

5. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

According to Sylvia, she may have injured in the warm up for her free skate

6. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

Julia beat world junior record 183.05 (former 179.24 - Мао Аsada'2005)

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. koatcue

koatcue New Member

It seems these judges are in love with her or smth)) She is great, but...I like Sotnikova more than her :p

8. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Absolutely amazing!

9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

This is the first time I watch her. She is amazing : good basics, good jumping technique, good spins, flexible...and she looks solid. WOW

10. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Is anybody alarmed by the fact that they see a lot of Sasha Cohen influence is her? I mean she skated to Dark Eyes in the SP and to Romeo and Juliet in the LP... That definitely can't be simply a coinicidence... On top of that, the music cuts are somewhat similar...

11. millipied

millipied New Member

Why anyone has to be alarmed by that?
    Besides, that's been already discussed to death here.

12. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

She reminds me of Sasha Cohen. She is even using the music Sasha used for her SP in 2005 & 2006 (Dark eyes) and Romeo & Juliet (2006). I don't have a problem with that at all.

For a 13 year old she is VERY good, but I am concerned about the lack of height on her jumps. She seems to rush them a bit, but that can improve. I am not sure the height can be improved upon. If at all anything, as she grows up, she may have more difficulty rotating that fast while in the air and it could pose problems with her jumps. However, I hope I am wrong about it, and I hope she develops into something really special.

13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

:watch:awaiting someone to pick Lipnitskaya's layback apart (how dare she receive such high GOE with such ugly feet on that spin :lol:) :watch:

14. Louise

Louise Banned Member

Her leg position could be improved upon, but her speed and centering are so good it makes up for it, IMO.

15. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Nice to see Julia deliver two strong programs. I don't know that I completely agree with her scores...they seem a tad inflated to me.:slinkaway I definitely agree that she was the clear winner for the event, but methinks the judges are pretty big fans b/c her PCS were like 5 points higher than her last event. 7.5s and 7.75s are evidence of the judges being a little overzealous! :lol: She was good, but I don't think she deserved anything over a 6.75.

Still, I loved her 2a-3ts. The 2a just skims the ice, losing no speed so she has no problem launching into the 3t. Very nice. I really like her spins; even the bent leg in her layback doesn't irk me b/c she has great speed, good centering and a good back position. OTOH, her programs are largely empty IMO. There's a very big disconnect b/w the choreography and the music. Of course with Morosov as her choreographer, I can't say that I'm surprised. :rolleyes: I really hope she branches out to another choreographer, and soon. But these are things that will (or should) improve, so I'm not too worried yet. She's the clear favorite going into the JGPF.

Anna Shershak was a pleasant surprise. It just doesn't seem fair that Russia has so many amazing ladies right now, but you can add her to the list. She has a lovely presence on the ice and her overall presentation is very nice as well. I think her programs were about ten times better than Lipnitskaia's...Anna has much better attention to the music and the choreography than Julia. Her coming in 2nd here makes next week's competition exciting. She and Risa Shoji will be battling for a spot in the final. Both have 13 JGP points; so whoever wins that gold is assured a place in the final...silver or less, they'll end up in a tie breaker situation with about four other skaters. It should be good!

I really thought Hicks and Miyahara would be battling for the silver, but neither of them got close. Courtney withdrew? What happened? Her SP was a catastrophe but I was excited to see how she was going to handle coming from behind. Oh well.

I think Miyahara redeemed herself but her jumps are just too freakin' tiny. Still, I can't wait to see her when she gets older! My goodness, the transitions into her jumps are insane. These are really difficult moves leading into this flip: edge steps into a wally, no touching down of the foot into a three-turn, right into a 3F...I'm still baffled as to why her SS and TR were so low. :confused: It's gotta be frustrating to add the difficult transitions and not be rewarded for it.:(

I thought So-Youn Park was wonderful! She has lovely jumps, good speed and nice spins as well. Another one to keep an eye on for Korea...

This was a really good competition. Just one more left for the junior ladies...then it's time for the senior ladies!!:D

16. t.mann

t.mann New Member

hmm. I am not yet impressed by Julia.
    It is a program's problem? too rushing...

17. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

That argument didn't work for Kim it's not going to work for her either. :p

I am of course kidding - I agree with the high GOE for her layback. :lol:

18. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

She rushes her moves, but she is still young. With some maturity and rfinement, she can be a beautiful skater.

19. sk8mom1970

sk8mom1970 New Member

She starts her layback off with a difficult entrance - automatic +1
    She maintains good speed and centering - +2
    She has a variety of positions that are unique and show outstanding flexibility - +3

Under CoP, it's pretty understandable.

20. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

As others have noted, it doesn't matter in COP. That said, her layback position is poor. I long to see a classic layback like we used to see under 6.0 (most recently, by Sasha Cohen), with no pull-up into a Biellmann or catch-foot.

21. bek

bek Guest

On the Julia train now, she's cleaned up a lot that bothered me with her performances last JGP. Absolutely gorgeous posture....