Julia Lipnitskaia's arms/hands/wrists

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Mar 11, 2013.

1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

2. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Now this is a little creepy. It sounds as though we are dismembering skaters.

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Why not start a thread that addresses flaws of various skaters instead of a separate thread to criticize every young Russian skater? I am wondering who will be the next victim?

Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.
  4. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Perhaps it is like the beginning of the "Plushenko is not artistic" opinion...

5. Nours

Nours Active Member

Perhaps we can have our own opinions and disagree with you.

6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

A lot of skaters wear gloves. What's the deal with asking about gloves. I don't understand why so many are so intolerant of the wearing of gloves. The other stuff is just - don't care

7. Vash01

Umm....I am afraid it may be a lot worse than this.

8. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

It's not about agreeing or not agreeing with the point the OP is trying to make - it's about the necessity or not of opening a new thread for every skater's body part(s) we think needs improvement

Personally, I vote for not. Necessary. At all

9. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Im fine with Julia wearing gloves in every competition
    its sort of her trademark now

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I don't like the gloves but my problem is I don't know why I don't like them. I should simply see them as part of the costume; but I don't.

11. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Is it particular gloves you don't like, or any gloves worn by any skaters?

12. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

She's so often getting herself into and out of contortionist positions that who even notices her hands?

13. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

All gloves, any skater...

14. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Then Julia shouldn't take it personally. :)

I pretty much always wear gloves when I skate, so it seems normal to me. Rough ice can damage bare skin sliding on it.

15. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

The ice can really tear the skin on the hands to shreds, I'm surprised they all don't wear gloves.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

16. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

IronLady.......Thanks for the discussion. It is the break at the wrist that I find distracting and unattractive. It is accentuated because of the gloves (if there were also a color break from costume to hand, it would not be as noticeable.

I noticed the same thing this weekend with Mirai when I watched her performance at Nationals. That break in the line, to my eye, is really unappealing. If you watch someone with fabulous arms and hands, like Joannie or Sasha Cohen you can see that they use their arms all the way to their fingertips................there is nothing flailing around at the end of their arm.

17. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Now that I think about it, what bothers me are gloves with long sleeves. It can make for a original look, but my opinions is it can look bulky and unnatural. Axel Annie, thanks for pinpointing the lack of color break issue.

I think for me it is particular gloves. I liked Vanessa Lam's gloves from a few years back. It helped her look for Danse Macabre. She only wore them for that FS. Sometimes it gives the skater a distinctive look, and other times gloves are an essential feature on the costume like Chouinard's 1994 American in Paris. What I wonder is why for every costume Julia chooses gloves, and why some ladies seem glove-happy as well. Stotnikova looks better without gloves in my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  18. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Do you wear them during performances? I guess I think the hands very expressive or else I wouldn't mind the gloves. As far as practice goes--protect your hands!

19. apple123

apple123 Banned Member

What's wrong with you, theironlady? Why do you feel the need to belittle and attack these skaters? First the Chinese and now the Russian. Are North American skaters so much better, or do you simply have an agenda to spread your coldwar mindset? Even dare I say you are just a closet racist and bad at hide your prejudice?

20. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

i never wear gloves. my hands get too hot!

21. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Wait until I get around to to the problems of up and coming North Americans and Europeans. It's coming, and you think this thread is tough.

This is intended in a joking spirit, but I can tell your sense of humor is different, so I will point out that fact. I have no agenda against skaters of any nation. I have never been motivated by jingoism. I love skating, and I enjoy discussing its trends. I am not against USA, Russia, China, Canada, Japan or any country. By your logic I am secretly against everyone except Japan, for it is the only country whose ladies I consistently cheer for. Of course I have my biases--and I have legitimate opinions too, but I respect all the skaters and nations, including Russia, USA, France, Korea, etc.

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

I liked her old blue gloves with last seasons long program costume.

But in general this year she is a mess.....

I personally never wear gloves when I skate

23. apple123

apple123 Banned Member

You are mistaking targeted bashing as so-called joking around. Either you do it intentionally, well that makes you exactly what I said, or you do it even without realizing it, then I pity the people around you putting up with such a mean person. Have fun trolling btw.

24. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

You totally just made it ok for me to arbitrarily not like them. Gedevanishvili comes to mind... ( cut it out Elena)

25. Vash01

I did not see anything funny in your opening post.

26. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

The comparison with Surya Bonaly was meant to be funny, but I was not referring to that.

27. Vash01

I found the comparison with Bonaly insulting to a young skater who is still growing, and actually using edges in her skating. I did like Bonaly, however, for other reasons. She was an exciting pro skater.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  28. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

i dont mind the gloves, as long as they suit the dress (so obviously a long sleaved dress is required), however, I don't mind the tacky dramatic Russian packaging.

29. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I also like the Russian packaging, but some of the style trends do not compliment individual skaters. I think Lipnitskaia will probably evolve quite a bit in style over the many years to come.

30. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Totally. They look so applied and meaningless. There were times when it looked like she thought she was skating to Swan Lake rather than Nutcracker.

Still, I blame the choreographer. I think the long sleeves and gloves that are bugging some folks are designed for a purpose - to draw attention to her wrists and hands, which suggests these movements were planned by the choreographer. Apparently somebody's notion of musical interpretation involves ballet arms, only this skater does not do them very well yet, so the whole effect reads as exaggerated and clueless. I think it's generally better for a skater this young to avoid overly ambitious flourishes. I was going to add "until she matures enough to understand and feel them" but honestly, I don't think that would look good on anybody.

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.