Judge throws out 3 of 51 counts against Sandusky

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Fan123, Jun 21, 2012.

1. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

That's what I would have done. If I saw something with my own eyes and the law enforcement did nothing about it, and it was about a celebrity whom I was fairly certain they were protecting (a logical conclusion in this case, I think), I would have gone to the papers. Anything to get this to stop in some way.

2. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

No, he was not an employee at that time. He was, however, told by university officials not to bring kids to the facility anymore. That was the extent of how PSU handled it. I believe the school officials had the audacity to refer to the abused children as Sandusky's "friends".

It was common knowledge, according to reports, that everyone from Paterno to the university president knew that he continued to bring kids to "work out". How can those people not be held accountable in some way when they continued to allow him to utilize campus facilities with children??

I look at it this way: Suppose I leave home for the weekend. My kids decide to throw a party and one of their underage friends gets drunk with alcohol from my liquor cabinet, drives, gets into a car accident and kills some one. Guess who is held liable?? ME. My house, my liquor, my responsibility to make sure my kids and their friends can't access it.

All of the people at Penn State who knew and did nothing need to be held accountable for their NONaction.

By the way, it's "Sandusky" and "McQuery"

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  3. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Great, so essentially Sandusky was told he could keep raping kids, but somewhere else.

4. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Yes.

5. Twizzler

Exactly. As long as it wasn't on their campus, they didn't care. :mad:

6. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Which is why I think they wouldn't have done much to a prof in the Economics dept. who was doing something similar. While football may be king there, it seems like they have a culture of looking the other way and I doubt it stops once you leave the football departments.

7. heckles

Every college has notoriously pervy profs. Tenure keeps them around.

8. MacMadame

Yeah, I'm not happy more didn't happen to him. (Er, more bad stuff that is.)

9. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Barbk's example was of a specific tenured econ prof who was terminated based on his behavior.

I've seen it happen to other tenured profs too. But IMO it's been hit or miss. It's taken much more seriously now than it was before, so it's more common for even senior profs to face serious consequences for such behavior.

10. MacMadame

I think you quoted the wrong person since I was specifically talking about how I would expect Penn State to handle the situation and someone else brought tenure into it, not me.

11. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

12. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Ouch. I doubt they'll lose accreditation but if they do, it'll hurt them worse than any of the NCAA sanctions.

13. GarrAarghHrumph

I also don't think they'll lose it, but if they did, it'd be major. Massive.

14. Twizzler

Could you explain what being accredited means?

15. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Regional accreditation basically means that you are recognized as a legitimate educational institution. Losing it is HUGE. It would basically ruin them. Most grad schools, for example, require an undergrad degree from a regionally accredited college or university. There is also national accreditation but it's nearly as prestigious. Often a college gets it when they can't get regional accreditation.

Eta: if they do lose accreditation, they will be able to reapply for it but I'm not sure how long they'd have to wait.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_accreditation

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  16. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

So, punish every single PSU student b/c of what Administration failed to do? How is that right? Fire the administrators and start over.

17. GarrAarghHrumph

In addition, if they lose their regional accreditation, their students also lose their eligibility for most types of financial aid, until the school either applies and gets specific other types of accreditation, or gets their regional accreditation back.

But again, in reality, this is just a way for the accreditor to raise their very strong concerns and demand a response. I do not think that Penn State will actually lose their regional accreditation.

18. heckles

It means that some academics have to look busy for a few weeks. They can resume their siestas in September.

19. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I was fine with them completely dismantling the Penn State football program and/or not letting them play at all for a few years, but if they lose accreditation, all the students are f*cked. There is no other way to put it.

I too do not think Penn State will lose accreditation. But it's certainly sending a message.

20. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Well, it's certainly a life lesson. Schools lose accreditation all the time and they also close down entire programs. How is any of that fair to the students? That's life.

I can't imagine how enrollment isn't going to be damaged. Why would anyone choose to go to such a school where this is not only allowed to happen, but encouraged to happen. Who would willingly associate their name with such a school?

21. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

As long as they have accreditation, students who live nearby who can't afford to go off to college will still go there. And anyone getting a scholarship to Penn State & nowhere else will go. But you're right, students who went there for the name will choose somewhere else.

I imagine the warning status was just so Penn State could be monitored. Everyone who should lose his/her job probably hasn't yet...they still have some rotten apples to get rid of, including everyone who thinks anything goes as long as it glorifies football.

22. wickedwitch

wickedwitch Well-Known Member

And while life is unfair, we should try to make it less so. Removing accreditation doesn't help.

Punish the people who deserve to be punished, not the students that had nothing to do with this.

23. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

The accreditation warning is a tool used to assure that the university addresses issues in governance that the Sandusky case shows were weak or non-existent. It is not expected to result in loss of accreditation as PSU will have a two year process to ensure that they are complying and administrators have been cooperating in the beginning of that process.

Link:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/2...nn_State_s_accreditation.html?cmpid=125459048

24. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

This warning is in aide of students. How is it fair to attend a university that allows rape for fear that they might lose a ball game if they don't? Penn state has been f-ing their students over for years. Schools lose their accredidations when they fail to provide a quality education. How is allowing a school to continue accepting money and profit from students they fail to protect fair on the students? If there are no other schools to attend in pa, then all the more reason to abolish this monopoly. I live in the smallest state in the union and we have multiple state universities to choose from.

25. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

:huh: So, it's the job of the regional accrediting agencies to possibly force students to attend a different university because the school failed to protect children from a criminal?

I mean, what happened at Penn State is awful, and I can understand, to a certain extent, why they would risk losing accreditation over it, but the above argument makes no sense to me.

26. heckles

Eh, somehow I don't think people would have cared about this half as much if the victims had been young girls.

27. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Really? I think it would have engendered even more outrage.

28. heckles

Nah, there would have been slut-shaming all over the internet, naming the girls and intimating they provoked it. That's if it even made the news at all.

29. CDANN1013

CDANN1013 Active Member

As a student at Penn State, I can say, without a doubt, the education that I am receiving at Penn State is excellent. The quality is there. Oh, by the way, I am an adult learner at Penn State. The professors expect their students to do the very best they can.

Carol

30. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Girls as young as some of the boys who were raped? 10? How could you slut-shame a 10-year-old?