Judge throws out 3 of 51 counts against Sandusky

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Fan123, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I read either Friday or Saturday night that both of his lawyers tried to quit at the last moment before the start of the trial, but the judge knew about it and said no no no.

2. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

I did see that and couldn't believe the unprofessionalism. The word "smarmy" comes to mind, but what do I know. I have heard in several reports that he is THE man to go to if you need to get things done in Central PA. (Although that didn't ring true in this case, thankfully!)

Most of the experts that were interviewed on CNN that night were practically hysterical with laughter that Amendola thinks he can be granted an appeal.

3. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...k-floyd-lyrics-by-prison-inmates-report-says/

And apparently Sandusky's lawyer is still talking:
    With an advocate like that, who needs a prosecutor?

4. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I guess he will be very popular in prison. :yikes:

5. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if he was left in the general population given his notoriety.

Does Pennsylvania have special units to jail the elderly?

6. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Yes they do.

7. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

They don't segregate young men from hardened criminals who rape them or prey on them in other ways. Why should a child rapist be given special privileges? Let him sink or swim just like everyone else in prison.

8. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/joe-paterno-p...use-avoid-122654613--abc-news-topstories.html

9. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

10. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I wish JoePa had lived to see his legacy ruined. He deserved to be publicly disgraced.

galaxygirl and (deleted member) like this.
  11. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I was feeling a small bit sorry for him and his legacy when the whole thing broke and he was still alive, but definitely not now.

12. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

IMO, anyone who is complicit in the cover-up is just as guilty as the child-rapist.

13. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

This is a prime example of how covering up makes EVERYTHING worse. Sure, had they dropped the hammer on Sandusky in 1998 there would have been some bad press for PSU and Paterno. But in the long run, they would have been seen as doing the right thing.

Now they look like criminals (as they are) and they have caused innocent children incredible harm. And the bad press they are getting now, plus the likely 100million lawsuit(s) that they will have to pay out have cause far more damage than had they merely done the right thing.

PSU is going to deserve every penalty that is going to come there way.

14. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

So are some others besides Sanduskey going to fry in court?

And are any of these Penn State people still employed by the university? I think they fired the President, but what about the Athletic Director, others?

I hope no one settles easily, the victims deserve big bucks and to see them all fired.

15. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

This is absolutely damning. I hope all those PSU fans who were dumb enough to riot when JoPa was fired and who acted like his legacy being tarnished made him a victim, recognize how stupid they were. But I'v already seen comments that make it clearl that they do not.

I've seen a lot of people comment that the NCAA should seriously be considering giving PSU the death penalty. I would bet money that they don't. Penn State makes the NCAA a boatload of money. The NCAA isn't really about costing themselves money when they dole out penalties.

16. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

What this men did is absolutely vile. Are any of them facing prison time?

Those poor boys :(

17. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

BTW, Paterno's son Jay was just on ESPN defending his Dad. Except, he didn't call him Dad, or Pop, or Father, he called him Joe. Very strange IMO. He also went on and on about the report being "not sworn testimony", and alluding to details that have yet to come out or things that wont be confirmed in a trial.

It's just sad that the Paterno family is so strident in their defense of Joe. I think they should just say that they are sorry this all happened and that they hoped that the public would remember the man that was beloved for over 60 years.

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Twizzler

This is what I don't get. People (JoPa and accomplices) say they were trying to avoid bad press. If you know someone on your staff is continuously doing things this vile, how can it be anything but good press to alert authorities and do whatever it takes to bring down the perpetrator? I would think way more highly of an institution that did that instead of the way PSU handled it.

19. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

IIRC, two or three are facing perjury charges for "covering up" under oath. It seems that there was no legal requirement to report the abuse, so they can't get nailed for failing to do so. Hope that the victims are able to hold their feet to the fire in a civil suit, since I don't think the criminal law system will be able to do much more. Paterno is the only one I'm not worried about ... he's facing justice (IMO).

20. Theatregirl1122

I don't believe that is true. As a University, shouldn't both the institution and the individuals be able to be prosecuted under the Clery Act?

21. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Agreed.

22. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Graham Spanier was President of PSU, I believe since fired.

Gary Schultz was VP in charge of Athletics and Police. He voluntarily went back into retirement.

Tim Curley was Athletic Director. He was put on administrative leave.

The latter two are going to be up for Perjury in the State of Pa. court system.

I don't know if all 3 Penn State executives can be held liable for other charges. Spanier apparently didn't lie, but was part of the coverup. It would seem that others than Sanduskey should also be held responsible.

I hope none of the victims settle for cheaper than they are due: the moon.

Don't know if the estate of Joe Paterno can be charged for some kind of financial compensation to the victims.

Don't know if the individuals or the state can go after Sanduskey's savings. Do know that he will be allowed to collect his retirement while in jail, GAH, for presumably the rest of his life, I guess it will be given to his wife.

There may be charges additional to the Clery state ones, in federal court.

But the other 3, if not charged and/or convicted in either state or federal systems, should pay for the rest of their lives, if only financially.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  23. attyfan

I'm not sure if there are criminal penalties for violating the Clery Act. It is over 25K per violation for the institution, but I haven't found anything showing that prison time can be imposed for failing to report.

24. Theatregirl1122

Good point. And I don't know what the mandated reporting laws are in PA so I don't know if they fall under that.

25. jeffisjeff

http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/...ries (TIME: Top Stories)&utm_content=My Yahoo

26. attyfan

27. Theatregirl1122

I seriously don't get people repeating that "this is not a football scandal" crap. (Not you, attyfan, obviously you were quoting) Of course this is a football scandal! This would never have happened if this weren't for football. He would never have been protected, his victims would never have been swept under the rug, if the people who could have stopped this hadn't prioritized football over the lives and safety of children.

28. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

There was a Washington Post story the day after the conviction in which at least one neighbor said that there had been rumors about him for years. I heard a sports reporter from Altoona, PA, yesterday say that more than one student and campus worker said to him when the story broke that jokes about Sandusky and little boys had been common in Happy Valley for many years prior to the story breaking.

If your neighbor "creepy Jerry" who worked at that one office downtown and you didn't really know what he did had a thing for little boys...well, suspicious behavior by him likely would have been reported long ago. But when "creepy Jerry" is Penn State Assistant Football Coach Jerry instead...that's a whole different thing in a place that (per Louis Freeh) reveres the football program over everything else.

That makes this a football scandal no matter what Paterno made himself and his family believe.

29. jeffisjeff

I wish they'd actually pursue those types of charges.

30. Twizzler

I saw a news report with Paterno's entire letter. Call me cynical, but I don't believe FOR ONE SECOND that it was written by him before his death. If it was, why wait until the night before the results of the investigation were revealed. It should have been released way earlier.

To me, it reads like a calculated statement prepared by lawyers to shift any blame away from Paterno and protect his legacy.

It really annoys me that the Paterno's are so focused on protecting Joe's name and are not including any statements about their sorrow for the victims. At least make it look good by including SOMETHING about their thoughts and prayers being with the victims and their families.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, it was revealed that Joe Paterno had put his assets in his wife's name, essentially giving everything to her. The timeline is very suspect because the transfers occurred only a few months before the Sandusky news broke. At that time, JoPa was still the head coach, presumably healthy, and PUBLICLY not being investigated for anything. Why turn over assets? Bottom line is he had to know what was about to come and he was trying to keep somethings (house, etc.) from being taken away from his family. JMHO