Judge throws out 3 of 51 counts against Sandusky

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Fan123, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I don't agree with heckles at all. I think there would be just as much outrage if this had been little girls. It's not like male rape victims don't face similar issues in this country.

However, there was some pretty massive fail in the coverage of the gang rape of an 11 year old girl in texas last year.

2. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

A lot of students I've spoken to, who might not normally get into Penn State, have been wondering if Penn State's recent troubles might not create opportunity for them. I have been advising them that it may, and that they should apply if they like the school. When other schools have faced significant bad press/major issues in the past, the year afterwards often sees a dip in applicants, so students whose academics might not have normally gotten them in, can sometimes get in. But often, in the years that follow, things normalize re: stats again.

In effect, I've basically been seeing more interest in Penn State this year, for this reason. We'll have to see how it all falls out re: applications and yield.

3. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

:lol: force? Hystrionic much. Accredidation agencies rank a schools merits so students can decide to attend or not. If a school promotes an unsafe environment where the administration organizes a long range intentional protection of a person in power to abuse an underling, then the accredidation board should just look the other way and only advise on academics? Wow. So you really want to send your kid to schools where the ptb have carte blanch to do whatever they want, just so they wont have to bother going to one of the thousands of other schools offering similar education? Amazing.

4. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a pretty detailed sentence of things you decided I agreed with just because I thought what you wrote was idiotic. Histrionic indeed.

And if the school loses its accreditation, the degrees the students obtain from it would be pretty much useless. Ergo, force, unless they don't really care if they use their degree they spent 3-5+ years working on.

5. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I thought the use of the word "force" was kind of strange in that context. Regional accredidation agencies do their job based on facts...what students do afterwards is their own decision. If a university loses its accredidation of course students won't go there if they want a degree. But no one forces them to do anything.

6. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Sentenced:

No Less than 30, No more than 60

This was part of his statement released to Penn State Radio:

7. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

What a vile, vile man.

8. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

His heart wasn't the body part that got him into this mess.

9. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

10. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

The person known as "Victim 1" is doing an interview tonight on 20/20 at 10:00EST on ABC.

11. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

12. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

^^^^
    My heart goes out to the Todds.
    It is distressing to read the number of bullied teens who have committed suicide due to the inability to cope with bullying, physically or virtually. Unfortunately, social media has created a monster – virtual bullying behind computer screens. Instead of using it to reach out to connect for the better, some has used it to hurt others. How easy It is to throw judgement, insults and tear the other person into pieces out of anger, rage, bitterness and self-importance in virtual space. We are faceless hence no one can associate such acts with our physical being nor will we ever be called to account for our actions.
    I am for tougher actions against virtual bullying. It is time to send the message that we have to be responsible for our actions in person and in virtual space.
    (Sorry, this is out of place in this thread but I feel strongly for Amanda and the tragic kids who have suffered or committed suicide due to bullying.)

13. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Well, actually, our British posters can comment on this. There's a similar situation going on right now in the UK....just replace "Jerry Sandusky" with "Jimmy Saville", replace "Penn State and Paterno looked the other way, but a lot of people knew" with "the BBC looked the other way, but a lot of people knew", replace "Second Mile charity used to find victims" with " 'Jim'll fix it' charity used to find victims" and replace "young boys" with "young girls".

One major difference is Sandusky was busted before he died.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19887019

14. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:eek: :eek: :eek: I haven't read the article yet but I remember that show and him very well from when I lived in England. This is the first I've heard of this. :eek: :eek: :eek:

15. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

CNN currently has the following breaking news headline:

"Former Penn State President Graham Spanier charged with perjury and other counts in the university child rape scandal."

Wow, it'll be interesting to hear what these other charges are.

ETA:

http://news.yahoo.com/ex-penn-st-president-charged-sandusky-case-154801968--spt.html

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  16. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Hopefully, there will also be two more other people, one was something like VP of Athletics, I need to go back in thread to look up. The president of PS and perhaps others will get due process, but sounds like a very intricately detailed charge and they will hopefully be held accountable. The coach with red hair was right, they all seem to have known and covered up.

17. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Quoting myself from 7/12/12:

I might have been wrong saying that Spanier didn't lie, the charge seems viable. Schultz and Curley have not yet been charged, stay tuned. At least Spanier, and probably all three, will have due process, the the DA seemed very sure of the Spanier charges, went through examples of why he was charged on each offense, for instance billing someone for a 1.5 hour telephone conversation on this subject, so he must have known. The red haired Coach McQueary (sp?) was probably correct, they knew.

18. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I was wrong, charges have already been filed against Schultz and Curley, more were filed yesterday. And the woman running the press conference about former PS president Spanier was the Attorney General of Pennsylvania, so I guess these are state charges. I think this scandal might have lost its national news importance, but we still get headlines about it here in Philly. This latter stuff is important for all ethics classes, what would you have done, since it seems their errors are in the coverup and as well in the omission of not pursuing this when the first incidence of victim #1 was revealed because there wouldn't have been more victims if they had followed up on instead of covering up the first. Oh, and as a PS, no one knows if Joe Paterno would have been charged had he not died, I imagine his estate is still filing against the university for firing him, but the State couldn't go further because he passed.