JR WORLDS ONLINE STREAMING

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by euterpe, Feb 21, 2011.

1. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

The main competition starts a week from Tuesday, on March 1st.

Is there any chance the Russian websites will show the events live? Russia has medal contenders in every discipline, with a possiblity of a podium sweep in Ladies and Ice Dance.

2. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

No coverage is listed yet for Russian TV; however, it is probably too early for the March 1 + listings to be out yet.

I have seen that some twitter users have been trying to contact universal sports on twitter (@unisports_skate, @universalsports) to ask about Jr. Worlds coverage. I am doubtful this will result in anything because they were unable to get anything together for Four Continents. :(

I really wish they would just pass the USA streaming rights onto icenetwork so that fans could get to watch these events.

3. HisWeirness

Update: Russian TV (NTV, Russia 2, etc.) has updated their schedule through March 6 and no Jr. Worlds coverage is listed at this point.

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  4. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

ARGGH.
    Thank you, HisWeirness, for keeping us updated.

5. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

:wuzrobbed

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed

I was hoping post-Olympic fatigue had to do with the lack of streaming last season. :(

7. HisWeirness

Hopefully some of our Korean posters could check through the Korean TV listings for Jr. Worlds coverage in Korea. I've been trying to look through the listings but haven't seen anything yet.

I really hope that someone shows the competition (live?). Last year we at first got some videos from the official website and then some other videos eventually came out. No live streaming at all.

The ISU really needs to reconsider how they assign TV/online rights for Jr. Worlds and whether it would be better if they just contract with a single, world-wide provider for live streaming coverage. Having these competitions take place in the "dark" does not benefit the sport.

8. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

On Russian FSO site there is information that Korean SBS channel will stream all Junior Worlds. The link that is given- http://www.sbs.co.kr/
    Could somebody who speaks Korean verify and provide instructions? Much appreciated!!!

9. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

If this is true then I'm relieved!

10. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  11. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

The first link explains about the world junior championships and the SBS plan of covering all the competition, including the qualifying rounds

You have to register on their service (second link) fill some information and in order for them to secure your information is right it says that you must send them a pic of your ID or even sending them by Fax

On the third link is the download page of the program that will allow you to watch the stream and other services, but for doing it you have to run the program and log in with the user name and password you registered (in the second link)

12. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks for the info.

13. Elka

Elka Active Member

I have no problem with the registration (and it can be done in English), but why do they want to "secure the information"? The idea of sending my passport copy to someone I do not know over the internet does not sound good. Or am I just over-paranoid and this is not a security problem?

14. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

That also made me concern and I have not registered yet, will probably wait until worlds start and in case some other stream promps on justintv like 4CC last week

Also it could probably be geoblocked, so I will wait and not risk my information on that

15. Elka

Elka Active Member

Registration allowes "foreigner in overseas" so geoblocking after that is unlikely. I am more concerned about identity theft. Especially if they decide to charge a small non significant fee, so you have to give your credit card information.

E.g. I paid for the feed for junior GP in England. Did not have to send any ID information. Just paid. So what's the deal with the ID here?

16. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

:( I do not feel comfortable sending any personal information to this company.

17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Same here!

18. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Makes me leery of a scam.

19. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

I think one of the reasons they request your ID is to check if you are underage or not. The other (and more prominent) reasons fall into the area of social and political commentaries, which are rather complicated to explain here.

Several years ago, I registered an account at a certain Korean internet site using a copy of my driver's license. (I did not use my passport.) I decided not to send my ID information there any more, after several incidents of large scale hacking attacks. The Korean government is trying alternative ways to check IDs. But these methods do not help people living outside Korea. SBS is a major broadcasting company, so I would not worry about scam. However, Korean companies do have troubled history of security breaches.

< DELETED TEXT WAS HERE >

I agree with Braulio. The real concern is geoblocking. I tried a simpler version of SBS Gorealra web player without registration. Some channels are geoblocked.

Allowed channles: TV01, TV02, TV04, TV05, RA01, RA02, EV01, EV02, EV03
    Geoblocked: TV03, TV06

For example,
    http://gorealra.sbs.co.kr/g3/silverlight/Gorealra3Scrap.jsp?pChannelID=EV01

TV03 and TV06 are ESPN and Golf, respectively. TV04 and TV05 are CNBC and E!. RA01 and RA02 are radios.

ETA: Some contents may not be free. In such a case, you need to login to pay for those programs.

20. Elka

Elka Active Member

Exactly.

21. RD

RD Well-Known Member

So are you trying to say that as long as the program is installed (no registration), and it is aired on some of the non-geoblocked channels, we're good?

22. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Well, I just realized that some contents may not be free. In such a case, you need registration. (Sigh.)

I apologize that I forgot to consider that part of the system.

23. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Sigh. I give up. I'll just stick to YT and basic results, which is good enough for me.

24. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Good! SBS is showing the preliminary round via EV01 channel now. I'm hoping they would show the rest of the game free without geoblocking.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  25. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

wrong thread :rofl:

26. icemusings

icemusings Member

Seabm7--did you have to do anything to get it to work or did you just download the software?

27. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

There are two ways to watch the stream. Either case you have to download some software set.

When I tried the lighter version,

http://gorealra.sbs.co.kr/g3/silverlight/Gorealra3Scrap.jsp?pChannelID=EV01

IE asked me to download an active X program. I already had MS silverlight installed on my computer. I'm not sure what will happen to the people who do not have silverlight.

I also tried Gorealra itself. I downloaded and installed the program. When I click the "gorilla' icon, it creates several panels full of options. You have to choose the TV option, which is the topmost button on the left panel. It will show you 9 channels/small screens. Junior World is shown on the Event 1 channel, which is located at the left bottom corner. I do not need the other pannels, so I close/hide them.

The quality of the streaming is not so good, with frequent buffering problems.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  28. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  29. HisWeirness

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.