Joyous Jason Brown becomes an overnight Paris sensation & other articles/interviews

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Jason Brown, 18-going-on-19, won his first Senior Grand Prix medal (bronze) and set all 3 new ISU personal best scores (including 243.09 total) at TEB in Paris.

"A Question of U" SP (84.77): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x178kmb_jason-brown-teb-2013-sp_sport
    Riverdance FS (158.32): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_X_F8zJ8k8
    British Eurosport version of his FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY0WJ8PZD94 (added)
    Medal ceremony: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-tHv_xTpP4

New interview with Jason Brown and his longtime coach, Kori Ade, by Jean-Christophe Berlot, published before the FS at TEB: Joyous Brown becomes an overnight Paris sensation

An article from Figure Skaters Online, published before the start of TEB: Jason Brown: Ready for the challenge! (includes some fun facts at the end)

Absolute Skating's interview (published Nov. 14) with Jason Brown at Nebelhorn Trophy in late September: Jason Brown: "I was not flexible at all as a kid"

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    genevieve, pollyanna, Kasey and 3 others like this.
  2. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

His skating is awesome and he seems like such a genuinely wonderful person, so it's great to see him having success and earning new fans around the world. :)

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Saw the program from TEB and wow! Amazing job! Eurosport commentators (especially Joanne Conway) raved about him. I still think his presentation is underscored but hopefully he will continue to deliver and the judges will be forced to give him the marks. An Olympic team of Brown and Farris hitting clean would be a dream come true!! Ahhhh!

4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Jason's TEB FS was fantastic. Loved it.

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Congratulations, Jason! :cheer2: What a fabulous young talent. Best of luck!

6. sequins

sequins New Member

I enjoyed his skating a lot and joyous is the perfect word to describe him. I hope he never loses that. LOL at the medal ceremony when Speedy was giving Chan his medal, obviously complimenting him you can see Jason horn in saying 'he's amazing' pointing at Chan and then indicating he had tears during Chan's skate. That was very sweet. I look forward to seeing him in the years to come.

7. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Congrats to Jason for his first GP medal. Delightful to watch and a creative skater.

8. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

I just got back from Bompard, and I gotta say, I wasn't sold on this guy, But i realized how much the crowd loves him, the energy completely turned up during his skate even despite an early mistake,
    I guess it's his projected happiness and ease, and his different "Kimmie meissner" type look from the others ;),
    He seemed lovely at the hotel the morning before the FS.

I do believe his are the best scores by an American so far this season, right ?

9. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I loved Jason Brown last year at the junior level, but then Joshua Farris won Junior Worlds. What we saw Jason do this year so far, in his two GPs, was magical. He brought sensitivity to the glass sport of ice skating. He truly felt the music and was able to use his entire body to present a story. I know he is going to be fine for the rest of this skating season and his career on ice.

10. fscric

fscric Active Member

That's what he said? I was wondering about what did he say.

Congratulations to Jason for such a great debut season!

11. sequins

sequins New Member

Obviously I don't know for certain but that was my impression and what my lip reading skills:)D) indicated.

12. Subway

Subway New Member

He's wonderful. I love that his skating leaves the impression that he's being true to himself, that his skating is organic and he's unafraid to be himself out there, so there's no performance tension of the wrong kind, and nothing forced. His basic skating has such power and flow and he's got a beautifully calm and expressive upper body. I love when skaters have so much flow at blade level but everything above the blade can take its time.

13. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I really like this guy. While Joshua may have won the junior world's last year, I preferred Jason guy because of his personality and charisma. He's interesing to watch and it's great he's having some success on the senior circuit.

14. Sylvia

Jean-Christophe Berlot covers TEB for Icenetwork (see his interview linked in post #1 that inspired the title of this thread) and he mentioned Jason Brown a few times in his daily notes columns from Paris -- for example, Day 2: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/11/15/63958486/parisian-ratatouille-day-two-at-troph233e-bompard
    From Day 4:
    ETA British Eurosport version of his TEB exhibition performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2SW0_ESEtM

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    Doggygirl and (deleted member) like this.
  15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sylvia.
    My feelings about Jason are well known on the board.
    I look forward to watching him this season, and for years to come.

16. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

I am so thrilled with Jason's success this weekend. Ever since I first saw him skate his first year as a senior at US Nats, I've thought he was a very special skater. He seems like he has a great head on his shoulders too. And I love how he has such a warm relationship with his coach, Kori.

17. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

WOW WOW WOW
    Fantastic SP, fantastic LP, fantastic Ex !
    Special guy :)

18. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I just watched his "Can't touch this" exhibition. He does the best split jumps since Sasha Cohen.

19. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever see Berlot gush the way he has for Jason. Has Jason competed in Japan yet? Based on the way the French are reacting to him, I feel like he'll have to take out restraining orders :) when those fans get to know him!

20. ComplimentsFrom

ComplimentsFrom Banned Member

He needs more fluidity. And more confidence with his triple axel.

Other than that, very enjoyable skater to watch.

21. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

He was very good in TEB. his loving attitude wins lots of fans for him. He is not in the same level than Chan or Hanuy, of course, but he is working to be there. :watch:

22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I love seeing how happy Jason is on the ice. He reminds me of Kimmie Meissner in that regard. I like various skaters for different reasons, but it's great to see skaters who really do exude happiness on the ice.

23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

He actually looks a bit like Kimmie.

24. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Jason is just awesome. A tremendously talented skater and artist and an extremely adorable and nice person.
    I'm definitely an uber now and can't wait to see him progress further. He really was the crowd's favorite in Paris and deservedly so.

25. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Yup, First thing i thought when i saw him ;)

Probably the hair...

And the cheeks...

And the eyes ...

26. DreamSkates

DreamSkates New Member

For being so new to senior level, I think Jason's doing great. So enjoyed watching him skate at the GP in France (via IN + tv) and hope he keeps his attitude, skills, coach, etc. for the long term. Whatever he's doing, it's working, and he might have a good future ahead in skating. I say "might" because so many talented up and comers seem to disappear into the woodwork for whatever reasons. Anyway, I wish him well and hope he is one of the 2 representing the US at the Olympics because he is holding up so well skating on the international level.

27. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Jason is a natural star. I hope that SOI and other shows are paying attention.

I would not compare him at all to Kimmie Meissner. While she had early promise, she is not a naturally charismatic skater whose personality reaches to the highest rung in the rafters. I'd compare Jason more to Oksana Bayul...loads of natural personality, with just-good-enough teknik. Imagine what Jason will be like when he acquires a quad. Mamma Mia. Whatever he does - do NOT let him go to Morozov. Don't taint/grease/spoil our dear Jason!

28. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Jason has said in an interview that Kori was his first coach and will be his last coach.

Now if only I could remember which adorable, charming interview that was...

29. Sylvia

It was this one - article from Figure Skaters Online, published before the start of TEB: Jason Brown: Ready for the challenge! (includes some fun facts at the end)

30. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I am such a Jason Brown fangirl!! Have been for a few years now and was so lucky to see him live at Nebelhorn this year.

I really hope that he continues to improve and I will keep seeing him in competitions now that it has become harder (since he switched to Seniors). Without a quad it will be hard to make the Olympic and Worlds team this season (he has an outside shot) but maybe in a couple of years...

I couldn't care less if he ever wins a Worlds medal but I selfishly want him to get good enough to make many teams so that I can watch him! :)

gingercat and (deleted member) like this.