Joyce Carol Vincent: Interesting article about her death

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by algonquin, Apr 23, 2012.

1. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

2. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Wow. That's very sad. Especially that she was only 38, how could no one miss her? Did she not have a job? If she received some type of public assistance payment, no one noticed she stopped cashing the checks? How was her rent paid (I don't know what a bedsit is)? How about her 4 sisters and father? When you see stories like this and the person was elderly with no family, its still very sad that they died alone and no one noticed, but you can understand how that happened.

3. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

A bedsit is similar to a studio apartment except you usually share a bathroom with other units. Sometimes a kitchen also but that doesn't appear to be the case here. Very curious all round.

4. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Do bedsits have landlords?

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Very, very sad.
    Whatever the article/film reveals seems only the "tip of the iceberg".
    I wonder whether the new publicity will cause other people who knew her to come forward with more information.

No one should die alone, and forgotten,

6. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

On another message board that I frequent, there was a poster who also died alone and it was not noticed for quite some time. Her dog died, too, of starvation, after she died. It was all quite sad all around.

7. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to know for whom she was preparing Christmas presents. Hard to believe that someone close enough to you to give you a gift could simply disappear completely from your life with nary a notice.

8. BaileyCatts

That's probably how I am going to end up one day if I am elderly and no longer working so don't have someplace I have to be every day. And if I have a little kitty at the time, the poor thing will starve. That makes it even sadder. The poor little pet doesn't understand why mommy isn't feeding him anymore. :(

9. BaileyCatts

I was wondering that also. Who were those presents for that they didn't miss her, unless maybe she was buying them for a charity or something? She was a young, beautiful girl who, from the stories, was a vivacious, outgoing, bubbly, friendly person. Its so strange that no one would be in contact with her and simply think she was off 'living a better life'. So sad.

10. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Joyce Vincent lived in public housing.

Apparently, the local housing authority noticed at some point that something was wrong. I'm not sure if she wasn't paying her portion of the rent or her utilities bills or what, but her remains were found after workers from the authority entered her unit to investigate.

It also appears that she hadn't been in close contact with her family for some time before she died. It seems that she had escaped an abusive relationship with a man not long before she died; perhaps she wanted privacy while she tried to get her life together. Also, she had moved about once a year for several years, so, what with not keeping her friends and family posted about her movements, it was not that hard for her to fall between the cracks.

A few links, including something by the woman who made the recent film about her and the website for the film itself:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/oct/09/joyce-vincent-death-mystery-documentary (linked within the article linked in the first post)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...ife-interview-with-director-Carol-Morley.html
    http://dreamsofalife.com/

The movie has not received especially favorable reviews, but the story is so compelling I might go to see it if it plays around here.