Joubert & Abbott to Try Flamenco

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Jun 8, 2010.

1. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Well-Known Member

:lol:

I hope it´ll be Soleá for Abbot, so he can :drama: Bulerias for Joubert :smokin:, I´m just :swoon: and :rofl: with all the potential posing, posing and more posing :cheer2:
  2. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

You're playing into my fantasies. :) As long as their dance involves a lot of kisses and hand holds. ;) *daydreams* :swoon::cheer2::encore:
  3. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

I'm hoping for something by Manuel de Falla - maybe Ritual Fire Dance............
    Abbot should be able to interpret something like that.

REally looking forward to both Joubert's and Abbott's programs!
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  4. The Observer

The Observer New Member

I want to see Brian win Worlds next year, or at least beat Patrick Chan.

Go Brian!
    skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  5. nalgene

nalgene New Member

I think we're going to see two very different interpretations of Flamenco, each suited to the strengths of the skater. I can't wait!
    jtpc and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Artifice

Artifice Guest

I believe it could be a good idea for Joubert to try Flamenco. But I'm not sure he will do justice to this style. I think he will be ok, not worst than his previous interpretations, maybe even sligthly better because flamenco can be played the stiff way, with manly gesture and Joubert likes it. But I don't see him having the feeling, the dancing quality to push the interpretation to something really deep or strong like Lambiel did, not even close.
  7. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

If we only think about what skaters did beautifully in the past, we would do nothing today.
    I hope Joubert won't try to skate like Stephane. It would be laughable !
  8. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Ok, even though I've said myself that I don't actually see Joubert in a flamenco program, I think you people start being a bit too harsh on him (or just mean, take it as you wish). I mean, the guy obviously is trying to bring on something new and challenging, perhaps even take his interpretation to the next level, so this is what everyone has been expecting him to do right? I mean, yeah, we can be sceptical, I am myself, but not because I think Joubert is a robot who can't do anything but jump, but because it's kind of not his style (meaning might not suit his personality too well). And as long as I'm worried if it'll work, I will not laugh at it or mock it until I actually see it.

Same for Abbott actually - just give him a chance, perhaps he does have the fire within?
  9. Mamouna38

Mamouna38 New Member

I find that it is although Brian changes music style that it is flamenco, the tango etc.. I am impatient to see this programme.
    It would be "idiot"( je ne trouve pas d'autre mot pour le moment donc ne prenez pas mal mon propos:p) to compare both programmes of Abbott and of Brian, both skaters very differ and Najarro has talent to cook interesting programmes up..
  10. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

But who said it was going to be flamenco ? :lol:
    It could be any other dance Navajo likes... Like a TANGO ;)
  11. viv

viv New Member

:lol: My first thought also was: "Together???"

Well, no flamenco ever could be as good as Stephanes. I agree that a Flamenco doesn't seem to suit Jeremy that well - I just don't see him as that kind of personality, but maybe I am wrong.

As to Brian, I am afraid that he will use the same moves he did on the rythm-orientated techno for the last couple of years to a rythm-orientated flamenco, and we will have to watch it for the next couple of years. :rolleyes:
  12. briancoogaert

Or something spanish like Gordeeva and Grinkov 1994 SP. Not really Flamenco, nor Tango. ;)
  13. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

Exactly ! ;)
  14. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

I believe Jeremy will do Flamenco justice and I am sure it will worth the ticket prices to see him next season, Brian on the other hand only brings one thing to mind when it comes to Flamenco....:rofl:
  15. key65man

key65man New Member

I understand Joubert has an engagement in Korea in July. Would it be possible that he showcases the new program, whatever it is, there? Love to see the program asap....
  16. calica

calica Active Member

I doubt it.
    He always presents his new programs in the French master....in September
  17. reut

reut Active Member

I think comparison to Stéphane's Flamenco won't do justice to neither of the two. So probably we shouldn't compare (well, actually as for now we have nothing to compare :D). And also, probably, both Brian and Jeremy will be smart enough not to take Flamenco at all. ;)
  18. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

And thank goodness for that. :grope:
    sweetsparky and (deleted member) like this.
  19. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

Once for all : who said it was gonna be a flamenco for both ? :lol:
  20. sweetsparky

Let me keep my flamenco dream :drama:

... even if I´ll accept Spanish generic program :shuffle:
  21. calica

calica Active Member

22. sigrid

sigrid New Member

It says that Najarro has made an intense artistic work with Brian getting a program full of intensity and with an artistic and gestural dynamics completely innovative for Joubert
  23. Genia

Genia New Member

Hmm... I hope Antonio Najarro had permission to reveal Brian's music on his website. If not, that's very unprofessional!!
  24. plushenkofan

plushenkofan New Member

I think Jeremy Abbott has a better chance of pulling off a flamenco than Joubert because of the artistry.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Malaguena = Spanish generic program and also overused :) Dunno that he's gonna need Najarro for that. . . :scream:
  26. briancoogaert

So, ready and happy to hear Malaguena once again ? :p

There are many Malaguenas. Does anyone know if it's the overused one by Lecuona ? And which version ?
    sweetsparky and (deleted member) like this.
  27. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

I hope so too! I think this kind of music suits to Brian. He has much more temperament and passion in his eyes than Abbott.
  28. shine

shine Well-Known Member

One thing that I have faith in is Abbott's musicality and versatility. He has intensity and drama in his skating and you could see it particularly in his Masquerade Waltz LP from 2 years ago. I have always wanted him to skate to a program that's just purely about the dancing (rather than theme-based) because I think that's what he is. I'm so excited I can't wait!
  29. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Joubert is a showman- look forward to his program.

Abbott has grown so much in presentation over the last year. Not sure what will come of this, but Abbott/Sato have shown the ability to ditch a program at the last minute if it's not working. So if it's not good, it'll be gone.
  30. Artifice

Artifice Guest

That's not what I said. Joubert just seems to lack dancing qualities to do justice to a flamenco piece. But he can do the "macho man".
  31. sweetsparky

You´re heartless :p

:lol: There are never enough Malagueñas in skating world :cheer: :D

See. Some hope still for me ;) cause why should a spanish site as Najarro´s write "malaguena". Oh, it can be something shocking and original :saint:

(We need a what malagueña/malaguena Joubert will skate vbookie :p )
  32. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Is that the only excuse he found to wear a sexy toreador:shuffle: outfit?
  33. jlai

jlai Title-less

I thought Abbott was going to do Flamenco last season because he's already done tango the prior season and Waltz the one before. Of course, the question should be, "after Flamenco then what?":)
  34. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I remember when Malequena was the considered the Carmen of skating before Carmen was the Carmen of skating.
    kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  35. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Methinks one of these skaters will have more success with that kind of program than the other...
  36. briancoogaert

Paso Doble ? Quickstep ? Folk Dance ? :p
  37. key65man

key65man New Member

At first, I thought you were just stating the obvious. Then, the more I think about, the more profound it gets. Now, it will bother me till I figure out who will do better. Thanks, Kasey. ;) For now, I will go with Joubert for pure shock value. Kiddin' of course...
  38. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Well it has been a while since Malaguena was used by a top skater. Besides, maybe Brian will use some new-age French version of it :p.
  39. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Are there any photos of Brian practicing his new programs?
  40. Mamouna38

Mamouna38 New Member

There was that a photo together with Roman Haguenauer (it seems to me that it is on this forum but or knows more:p, lol).