Jonathan Cassar: "spread eagles to die for"

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Feb 9, 2011.

1. shan

shan Well-Known Member

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Wow, the angle on that spread eagle is even more incredible-looking in this photo than it is during the live-action broadcast.

I too echo my well wishes to Jonathan! He will be greatly missed at U.S. Nationals, and I sincerely hope that he will be able to do some professional skating and ice shows. He's a natural performer!

3. shan

shan Well-Known Member

4. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

I guess I am another one who is not all that impressed with his presentation. I don't know whether it is the 1970's bell bottom pants that distracted me from the skating or the fact that he is not anywhere near the league of someone like a Jason Brown or Joshua Farris or even Wesley Campbell..In fact, when I rewatch the mens LP, he is one of those performances that I fast forward through....zzzzzzzzzz. Are people just saying he is so great because Sandra and Scott and telling them how fabulous he is?

5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i'm so sad, he's been my highlight of the season for such a long time

if i win the lottery i might ask him to skate for me every day. fingers crossed.

6. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I'm a big Cassar fan, and I don't think this year's FS was his best program. Go watch his SP from this year, or his "Schindler's List" FS from 2011 (?). Those programs give me goosebumps.

He's a wonderful skater, even if he was never a great jumper, definitely a "skater's skater". I wish him luck in whatever he decides to do next.

7. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

....still don't see it - besides the spread eagle which lasts a few seconds, I don't see the edge quality, quality of spins or jumps....I really think it has more to do with music selection than anything else.. The music of Schindler's List brings out emotions just because of what the movie was all about and Bring him home is such a beautiful piece of music, it wouldn't matter if even Max Aaron was skating to it....

8. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

if you think anyone here is swayed by anything scott and sandra say, you really arent paying attention

9. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I noticed Jonathan at 2009 Nationals. I think he skated to "We Insist" by Zoe Keating in his SP and "Cinema Paradiso" in the LP. He's a captivating skater even beyond the amazing spread eagles. I have seen many "Schindler's List" programs, but his movement on the ice is very moving and one of my favorite interpretations. I'm a sucker for skaters/teams that are fully committed to their choreography and bring music to life. For me, Jonathan is one of those skaters.

10. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

LOL I must be in a different universe!

11. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Maybe you are...

But I don't think everyone has to like the same skaters. There are plenty of skaters that are extremely popular that I find meh. And no matter how many times I watch their programs, they just seem boring...

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Jonathan has announced his retirement from competitive skating in Sarah and Drew's latest blog -- scroll down: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130213&content_id=41596906&vkey=ice_news

13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Jonathan will be missed in competition.
    However, I'm sure that he will be much "in demand" as a coach/choreographer.
    If only he can channel his passion and artistry into the next generation of skaters.

14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Bumping up this thread to share this new interview with Jonathan Cassar in which he talks about his skating career, working with Frank Carroll and David Wilson, etc.: http://everythingfigureskating.com/members/blog/2013/07/21/interview-with-jonathan-cassar/
    Excerpt:
    Here's his performance from linked from the "An Evening on Ice" benefit show thread in GSD that took place in El Segundo, Calif. this past Saturday afternoon (thanks to TanithandBenFan): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9gQW_CSRdU

Cassar has choreographed Courtney Hicks' "Evita" FS that she likely will debut at the Glacier Falls club competition next weekend: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130703&content_id=52567666&vkey=ice_news

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013