Jonathan Cassar: "spread eagles to die for"

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Feb 9, 2011.

1. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

Thanks for posting the article and the videos - I loved watching Jonathan's LP again.

It was touching to read how Joe Inman reacted to Schindler's List - I thought I was the only one who was choked up.

I hope Jonathan gets his Triple Axel - I'm sure that will be a career high point for him and it would be great for him to medal and get more exposure to the general public - not just us diehards who watch live streams and YouTube videos.

I look forward to seeing him in Ice Theatre type shows in the future - a show that celebrates the marriage of dance and skating would be a great fit for him.
  2. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Weird question: Anyone know how far back his Maltese heritage goes? (Curiosity stems from the fact that I spent a summer in Malta 20 years ago and LOVED it. LOVED it.)
  3. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Great article.
    Once again I think Inman has excellent artistic understanding; wish there were more judges with his background and passion for expression ( that sounds a bit funny... but that's what it is:))
    Of course I hope that Jonathan gets 3A and 3+3; but even if he does not, it's great that he is continuing. He already has a great reputation, and it will only build from here if he keeps that level of sophistication in his programs. That would help him in the future if he considers choreographing, doing shows etc.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

5. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

6. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

Jonathan and Frank seem to have a good rapport. The potential he sees in Jonathan may be more on a professional level (choreographer, coach etc...) rather than as a competitor.
    Frank will be an excellent mentor for him regardless of what he decides to do professionally.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  7. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Even if he doesn't, his kind of skating would keep me going to Nationals just to see the unseens. But if he could get it, I would love to see him place high enough to get on the GP.
  8. dots

dots Well-Known Member

that's the spirit Jonathan ! :kickass: He's a young 24 and has a whole Olympic cycle to master that darn jump and add more power. :smokin:
  9. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Bumping up this thread post-2013 Nationals to re-post the following from the U.S. Men's thread in GSD:

Jonathan Cassar ‏@Jonnaye05 tweeted yesterday:
    https://twitter.com/Jonnaye05/status/297205243064750080
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  10. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

I hope he skates professionally - would be a shame not to see him perform again. He is a pure skater - who loves the art and sport and it shows in every program he skates.
  11. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

:( I remember seeing him skate Schindler's List at the 2011 Nationals practice session. A hush fell in the rink during his run through, and I was not the only one with tears in my eyes. If he leaves, the loss to US men's skating is larger than you think. I feel extremely privileged to have seen him skating live, for it is spellbinding like no one else can do.
  12. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

My first experience with Jonathan was taking a workshop on transitions from him. I had never heard of him. I went home and realized I learned transitions from the right guy!

Oh, he did the spread eagles for us- WOW.
  13. Sylvia

14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

aw, I'm sorry he's hanging up his skates, but :cheer2: for making the NBC broadcast and being so :kickass:!

CASSAR! :swoon:
  15. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

NBC showed Jonathan's LP. The spread eagles drew OOOh's and AAAAh's from the audience.
  16. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Ummmmmmm, I seem to remember an ex oly gold dude who did about two minutes of boring spread eagles for
    'artistry' and frankly OlyGoldBoi's spread eages can't even hold a candle to this young man. You have to see them live I guess to believe them, they are rather Ilia Klimkin in impossibility.

Love the thread, and if you are the best in the world at something I think you should be recognized. Watch the videos. He is probably the best I've seen.
  17. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sylvia for the contact info. I will miss him SO much! Such an elegant skater!
  18. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Oh that makes me sad. I'd hoped to see him live one more time next year.
  19. jlai

jlai Title-less

Cassar is 26, and has pretty much achieved the stuff he can achieve, minus getting a 3A and competing internationally. I'm glad he gets to have these lasting memories of nationals, whatever he decides to do next. It must feel good to leave the competitive side of sports knowing you've done well at your last nationals.
  20. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Joining the many who will miss Jonathan's very special gift on the ice.
    We were most fortunate to see this "skating artist" at work for so many years.
    Whatever his future holds, he deserves the best.
  21. shan

shan Well-Known Member

22. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Wow, the angle on that spread eagle is even more incredible-looking in this photo than it is during the live-action broadcast.

I too echo my well wishes to Jonathan! He will be greatly missed at U.S. Nationals, and I sincerely hope that he will be able to do some professional skating and ice shows. He's a natural performer!
  23. shan

shan Well-Known Member

24. apatinar

apatinar New Member

I guess I am another one who is not all that impressed with his presentation. I don't know whether it is the 1970's bell bottom pants that distracted me from the skating or the fact that he is not anywhere near the league of someone like a Jason Brown or Joshua Farris or even Wesley Campbell..In fact, when I rewatch the mens LP, he is one of those performances that I fast forward through....zzzzzzzzzz. Are people just saying he is so great because Sandra and Scott and telling them how fabulous he is?
  25. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i'm so sad, he's been my highlight of the season for such a long time

if i win the lottery i might ask him to skate for me every day. fingers crossed.
  26. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I'm a big Cassar fan, and I don't think this year's FS was his best program. Go watch his SP from this year, or his "Schindler's List" FS from 2011 (?). Those programs give me goosebumps.

He's a wonderful skater, even if he was never a great jumper, definitely a "skater's skater". I wish him luck in whatever he decides to do next.
  27. apatinar

apatinar New Member

....still don't see it - besides the spread eagle which lasts a few seconds, I don't see the edge quality, quality of spins or jumps....I really think it has more to do with music selection than anything else.. The music of Schindler's List brings out emotions just because of what the movie was all about and Bring him home is such a beautiful piece of music, it wouldn't matter if even Max Aaron was skating to it....
  28. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

if you think anyone here is swayed by anything scott and sandra say, you really arent paying attention
  29. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I noticed Jonathan at 2009 Nationals. I think he skated to "We Insist" by Zoe Keating in his SP and "Cinema Paradiso" in the LP. He's a captivating skater even beyond the amazing spread eagles. I have seen many "Schindler's List" programs, but his movement on the ice is very moving and one of my favorite interpretations. I'm a sucker for skaters/teams that are fully committed to their choreography and bring music to life. For me, Jonathan is one of those skaters.
  30. apatinar

apatinar New Member

LOL I must be in a different universe!
  31. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Maybe you are...

But I don't think everyone has to like the same skaters. There are plenty of skaters that are extremely popular that I find meh. And no matter how many times I watch their programs, they just seem boring...
  32. Sylvia

Jonathan has announced his retirement from competitive skating in Sarah and Drew's latest blog -- scroll down: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130213&content_id=41596906&vkey=ice_news
  33. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Jonathan will be missed in competition.
    However, I'm sure that he will be much "in demand" as a coach/choreographer.
    If only he can channel his passion and artistry into the next generation of skaters.
  34. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

35. Sylvia

Bumping up this thread to share this new interview with Jonathan Cassar in which he talks about his skating career, working with Frank Carroll and David Wilson, etc.: http://everythingfigureskating.com/members/blog/2013/07/21/interview-with-jonathan-cassar/
    Excerpt:
    Here's his performance from linked from the "An Evening on Ice" benefit show thread in GSD that took place in El Segundo, Calif. this past Saturday afternoon (thanks to TanithandBenFan): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9gQW_CSRdU

Cassar has choreographed Courtney Hicks' "Evita" FS that she likely will debut at the Glacier Falls club competition next weekend: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130703&content_id=52567666&vkey=ice_news
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013