Jonathan Cassar: "spread eagles to die for"

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Feb 9, 2011.

1. geod2

geod2 New Member

What does that phrase mean, in the way you're using it?
    If you saw/heard something that suggests he is quitting skating, then tell us plainly what is was...what am I missing?
    :confused:

2. Auntie

Auntie New Member

Thanks for that link. I couldn't hear all the converation in the KnC but I did enjoy seeing again how perfectly gracious Jonathan is.

3. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I thought he meant it was his last performance of his Schindler's List LP, since this is at least his 2nd year using it. I'm glad I was able to see it live before he retires it.

I loved that the audience was able to appreciate him, even though he didn't have clean programs. It's hard to tell from video of the SP but there was a lot of whooping during his midline and I thought the atmosphere in the stadium was electric. And then for the LP, I think everyone understood what he was trying to convey - hence the applauding for his beautifully quiet program.

4. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

"giving up the ghost" is a slang term that really means to die, or stop working, but its use has kind of morphed into "giving up".

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/155500.html

5. geod2

geod2 New Member

Hmmmmm. I kinda thought so....that it was something like that.

There was a steady stream of beautiful comments, observations, and stories (especially yours) regarding Jonathan's skills, persona, and awesome performances on this thread....it was fun and inspiring to read...

...So I was really taken aback by the sudden "giving up the ghost" comment.
    I didn't perceive even the slightest hint of that as his meaning or intention.
    ...but what do I know??

...anyway, the thread's been fun and my appeciation goes out to all who shared.
    :)

6. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

That is my understanding, as well. Last time for " Schindler's List", so Jonathan says he wanted it to be special, and Frank agrees that it is the last time for the program and continues with " Very moving".
    Looking forward to seeing what programs he chooses for next year.

7. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Speaking of Finlandia Trophy, even Grant was complimentary of Jonathan's "Schindler's List" FS :) -- here's what he wrote in his blog from the competition back in October 2010:

8. Sylvia

9. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

If Jonathan could get a consistent 3A he would be among the top three in the US easily. I wish him much success, he is so talented. :)

10. Angela-Fan

Angela-Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that. :) I really hope he gets those jumps. I finally have a favorite among the men skaters! :) I haven't had a favorite since like, johnny weir

11. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

Thanks for posting the article and the videos - I loved watching Jonathan's LP again.

It was touching to read how Joe Inman reacted to Schindler's List - I thought I was the only one who was choked up.

I hope Jonathan gets his Triple Axel - I'm sure that will be a career high point for him and it would be great for him to medal and get more exposure to the general public - not just us diehards who watch live streams and YouTube videos.

I look forward to seeing him in Ice Theatre type shows in the future - a show that celebrates the marriage of dance and skating would be a great fit for him.

12. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Weird question: Anyone know how far back his Maltese heritage goes? (Curiosity stems from the fact that I spent a summer in Malta 20 years ago and LOVED it. LOVED it.)

13. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Great article.
    Once again I think Inman has excellent artistic understanding; wish there were more judges with his background and passion for expression ( that sounds a bit funny... but that's what it is:))
    Of course I hope that Jonathan gets 3A and 3+3; but even if he does not, it's great that he is continuing. He already has a great reputation, and it will only build from here if he keeps that level of sophistication in his programs. That would help him in the future if he considers choreographing, doing shows etc.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  14. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

15. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

16. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

Jonathan and Frank seem to have a good rapport. The potential he sees in Jonathan may be more on a professional level (choreographer, coach etc...) rather than as a competitor.
    Frank will be an excellent mentor for him regardless of what he decides to do professionally.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  17. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Even if he doesn't, his kind of skating would keep me going to Nationals just to see the unseens. But if he could get it, I would love to see him place high enough to get on the GP.

18. dots

dots Well-Known Member

that's the spirit Jonathan ! :kickass: He's a young 24 and has a whole Olympic cycle to master that darn jump and add more power. :smokin:

19. Sylvia

Bumping up this thread post-2013 Nationals to re-post the following from the U.S. Men's thread in GSD:

Jonathan Cassar ‏@Jonnaye05 tweeted yesterday:
    https://twitter.com/Jonnaye05/status/297205243064750080

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  20. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

I hope he skates professionally - would be a shame not to see him perform again. He is a pure skater - who loves the art and sport and it shows in every program he skates.

21. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

:( I remember seeing him skate Schindler's List at the 2011 Nationals practice session. A hush fell in the rink during his run through, and I was not the only one with tears in my eyes. If he leaves, the loss to US men's skating is larger than you think. I feel extremely privileged to have seen him skating live, for it is spellbinding like no one else can do.

22. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

My first experience with Jonathan was taking a workshop on transitions from him. I had never heard of him. I went home and realized I learned transitions from the right guy!

Oh, he did the spread eagles for us- WOW.

23. Sylvia

24. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

aw, I'm sorry he's hanging up his skates, but :cheer2: for making the NBC broadcast and being so :kickass:!

CASSAR! :swoon:

25. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

NBC showed Jonathan's LP. The spread eagles drew OOOh's and AAAAh's from the audience.

26. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Ummmmmmm, I seem to remember an ex oly gold dude who did about two minutes of boring spread eagles for
    'artistry' and frankly OlyGoldBoi's spread eages can't even hold a candle to this young man. You have to see them live I guess to believe them, they are rather Ilia Klimkin in impossibility.

Love the thread, and if you are the best in the world at something I think you should be recognized. Watch the videos. He is probably the best I've seen.

27. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sylvia for the contact info. I will miss him SO much! Such an elegant skater!

28. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Oh that makes me sad. I'd hoped to see him live one more time next year.

29. jlai

jlai Title-less

Cassar is 26, and has pretty much achieved the stuff he can achieve, minus getting a 3A and competing internationally. I'm glad he gets to have these lasting memories of nationals, whatever he decides to do next. It must feel good to leave the competitive side of sports knowing you've done well at your last nationals.

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Joining the many who will miss Jonathan's very special gift on the ice.
    We were most fortunate to see this "skating artist" at work for so many years.
    Whatever his future holds, he deserves the best.