Jonathan Cassar announces coaching change to Frank Carroll

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by FSOWebmaster, May 6, 2010.

1. FSOWebmaster

FSOWebmaster New Member

2. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

Wow, surprised. From a selfish fan POV I can't believe after all these years I won't get to see him @ DSC exhibitions, etc. anymore. :fragile: :wuzrobbed: But if he thinks this can help him zoom up the rankings I wish him the best.

3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

wheeee! Jonathan Cassar is my favorite non-elite skater, I hope he is able to shine with Frank Carroll :cheer2:

4. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

I love the possibilities that I am envisioning! Obviously Evan, Mirai and Jonathan are completely different but if Frank could instill some of the technical aspects of Evan and recently Mirai into Jonathan, holy crap! I'm pumped. He's got all the grace one would ever need! He just needs to improve technically IMO. He's fantastic. I hope this works out for him. Not to sidetrack, but who does Berlin still coach now that Czisny and Cassar are out?

5. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

The bio on his website now says his choreo will be done by David Wilson (or did he do Jonathan's choreo before?).

I guess Jonathan has finished college, or is he taking a leave of absence?

I'm looking forward to seeing how he can progress under Frank. I hope he can at least crack the top 10 in Greensboro.

6. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Very intriguing news. If Frank can expand Cassar's jump arsenal, he'll be a force.

7. jlai

jlai Title-less

Intriguing...

will Cassar do C*rmen now? ;)

8. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

This is even more intriguing from the perspective that Frank Carroll does not appear to be winding down his coaching practice. He is continuing to take on young skaters who will hopefully be at the next Olympics.

9. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Beautiful picture too.

10. genevieve

That was my thought too.

11. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

What an exciting combination! I hope coach and skater have great success working together. I love Cassar's skating. :kickass:

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I just love his trademark DEEP inside edge spread eagle! :swoon:

Cassar's only previous international assignment was 2008 Coupe de Nice in France (he placed 7th in senior) under USFS' collegiate international program, and I'm hoping he will be considered for a Senior B international this fall after his 12th place finish at Nationals.

Jonathan has been collaborating with David Wilson for several years now (I think going back to 2006?).

He was enrolled at Oakland University near Detroit -- not sure if he has graduated?

I know Julie Berlin always has had many skaters at the the Junior and lower levels -- most coaches can't make a living just coaching "elite" international students.

13. Retry

Retry New Member

Has Czisny announced a new coach yet?

14. Sylvia

15. Sk8 Bug

Sk8 Bug New Member

So very exciting for Jonathan and I know he will soar! He is my fav for sure. The SE Michigan skating community will miss him tremendously. He is the kindest person and a friend to everyone. Holding out hope he will stay home club with DSC and remain in the Midwest section??? Sectionals are in Ann Arbor :)

16. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

17. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Except I don't really think of Frank as one of the "jump doctor" coaches. Even some of Frank's best skaters (like Michelle and Evan) have gone to work with Raphael Artunian when they wanted some help tweaking their jump technique.

That aside, Frank is know for his very disciplined style and building up his skater's stamina, and I think that could benefit Cassar as well.

18. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

I'm so happy to hear this news. Jonathan's beautiful skating needs to be seen by a wider audience and I'm confident that Frank can help him move higher in the standings!

19. genevieve

I know "El Tango de Roxanne" is overused by now, but I'm excited to see his new SP to it. Quite frankly, even if he does end up saddled with C*rmen at some point he could make it interesting not that I'm suggesting it for him. :saint:

20. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

It would be great if Cassar could add the triple axel, but even if that's not possible, getting more consistent with the jumps he does have could allow respectable national and international results.

21. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I have been SO impressed by what I have seen of Cassar's skating on YouTube.

Frank Carroll doesn't strike me as the kind of coach who makes skaters fit into his own rigid style OR ELSE (except maybe in lame overused music choices :lol:), but Cassar looks like a pretty individualistic skater with a lot of creativity and a strong idea of what works for him. I hope that Carroll will respect that and help him continue that way, rather than be a "my way or the highway" dictator-type coach.

22. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

he could make Baby Got Back work, I'm not worried about the music

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  23. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I'm happy about this, hope it goes well. Cassar is a beautiful skater, I hope Frank can get his TES up.

24. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Is Jonathan considered a young skater. I think he's 23. I hope he is able to add technical difficulty and really make a splash this season!

me too!! :cheer2:

Off to watch Jonathan Cassar vids on youtube!!

25. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Heh, maybe Frank Carroll just wants to drool over Jonathan's spread eagle every day, in person. :)

26. Sylvia

For those who haven't watched Cassar's "Schindler's List" FS from this past season (or just want to rewatch it), there are 2009 Liberty and Skate Detroit youtube links posted in an earlier gush thread about this program :): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69029

27. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Love it! I hope Frank can help Jonathan find more consistancy with his jumps and I look forward to seeing his skating this year. :cheer:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  28. geod2

geod2 New Member

RA would seem like a good potential full-time coach for Alissa, but the geography is impossible for that to work. Can't imagine her leaving the comfort zone of where she lives now. Then again, she parted with J Berlin and many were surprised.

29. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Alissa has been working with Yuka Sato recently, so I assume that is who her new coach will be. I have heard she only thinks she will continue competing for one more season so making a major move to California for one season seems a bit silly.

30. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

I agree you really need that jump to play with the BIG boys, yes I know Quads help but the 3 axel is the jump preferred by judges.

I like this move, Frank has the ability to create champions and Jonathan can be a champion, his age does concern me a bit but given hard work and some luck and consistancy he could do well!