Johnny Weir's Withdrawal at 03 Nationals

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, Dec 7, 2010.

1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Did Johnny Weir have a real injury from hitting the boards at 2003 Nationals? Does he still claim this today? Or does he admit he withdrew because his performance went so abysmally and he was so mentally rattled?

2. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

Did you see the horrible fall on the triple axel? How could you skate after pretty mych falling from the speed of the jump into the splits on the ice? :confused: Did you see the way the leg was twisted?

3. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Does it really matter?

4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that this is "Skating with the Stars"-related.

5. psycho

psycho New Member

The injury was real. Any more questions?

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

How can you know from the video whether he was really hurt or not? That's impossible so it is unfair to assume he was faking it. I was in Dallas and I remember thinking it looked like he was really hurt.

7. PUNKPRINCESS

PUNKPRINCESS New Member

8. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

It looked to me like he was mentally disoriented by the board crash and completely lost his confidence. He was only 18, and I think he wasn't a mature competitor yet. I don't pretend to know at all. I just wondered if anyone knew what Johnny says today. What did he say about it in Pop Star on Ice/BGJW?

9. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I'm sure he broke his leg in 2 or 3 places, otherwise he'd definitely have been back out there. You have to skate through anything! Illness and injury are no excuse! I don't care if you are puking during crossovers, you get out there and skate! No excuses! Johnny is not a skater who ever makes excuses for himself or his results.

10. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Johnny just put himself back in play for the Disaster in Dallas. His IDIOTIC remarks on his "show" last night. According to him there's NO EXCUSE and you should perform no MATTER WHAT! So he has NO excuse for Dallas!!! LOL!

According to Weir you skate against medical advice so... what's his excuse?

So yes, now it "matters" but it's HIS fault that it's back on this board.

11. doubleflutz

doubleflutz New Member

Hitting the boards is not why he withdrew. He restarted the program after crashing into the boards and went through it just fine in full attack mode, landed a few jumps, then pretty much ripped himself apart on his solo triple axel. "LOLOLOLOL he crashed into the boards and then withdrew with a fake injury because he was too scared to keep skating, what a loser" is not what happened at all.

12. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, Johnny said in PSOI that he felt humiliated and is now sorry he didn't attempt to finish the program even with the knee injury.

13. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

del.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  14. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Well, let's just put this into context. Johnny was 18 years old at the time and is now quite a bit wiser. In fact, based on what I saw at NHK last year with his sinus infection, as a trained medical professional, I didn't think that it was smart for him to compete. He was running a temp of at least 102 before the SP and was so congested, his face was swollen and I'm sure his equilibrium was significantly affected. But, compete he did.

15. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Well, I don't care. COnsidering the awful fall he had, I don't have any problem with his withdrawal.

16. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with Johnny's withdrawal at Nationals either, but he did open himself to accusations of hypocrisy by saying Brandon should have skated last night even though he was sick. This is not Evan at the Olympics with the stomach flu, or Elvis skating through a groin injury, we're talking about someone with very little experience skating on a good day, and zero experience skating through illness, so I can't blame Brandon for not skating last night. But anyway, I think Johnny said it to generate a little bit of buzz, so it doesn't really bother me.

17. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I just watched the video (again, before I got involved), and that looked pretty bad. I'm amazed he went back in after he hit the boards. I have no clue what he said last night, but I assume it was along the lines of, today in this position, he would have stayed in? I don't know that that's a very good idea. :/

18. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Wait, are you saying you don't watch the critically acclaimed Skating with the Stars? :p

19. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Wiser?? Last night he sounded "snarkier" but "wiser" I don't think advising folks to ignore medical advice is the sign of "wisdom".

Sadly, his actions since the Olympics make me question his "wisdom" and that of those providing him advice!

20. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

Haha, well, I have yet to see the episodes. :)

Ontopic, I've heard he left Dallas with crutches after the injury.

21. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Too bad he withdrew. I really liked his Cirque Du Soleil short and his Dr Zhivago free skate.

22. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Yes, I preferred early Johnny too from the 2006 Olympic cycle! He didn't seem himself in the 2010 Olympic cycle and his programs were not as strong as early on in his career. JMO.

23. psycho

psycho New Member

24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

If this was true then why the public hasn't heard about it until now? I mean if an athlete was "carried by four Korean doctors to the middle of the ice", don't you think the picture and story would be all over the news the next day since it was the Olympic ?

25. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

IMO, these comments are cruel and unwarranted. Brandon is ill now ... I wonder if Johnny would have liked it if someone made the same comments about him right when he was in pain after 2003 Nats (as opposed to a more theoretical comment made at a later date). Also, skating is not the main job of the show celebs, so to hold them to the same standard given to professional skaters is simply unrealistic, if not stupid.

26. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

That latter statement about 4 Korean doctors did not concern his 2006 Olympic experience. it was about his December performance in Korea about 2 years ago, when he got so sick he needed IV fluids to combat dehydration. About mononucleosis during the Olympics; that is also true. Johnny was feeling tired all the time prior to the Olympics, but a definitive diagnosis did not occur until he got home to the US. By that time, it was water under the bridge.

27. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Not to mention, question of hypocrisy aside, Brandon's not only not a "real" skater, he's a very beginner skater who would have been expected to LIFT A GIRL while not feeling well. We're talking putting not just Brandon's health and safety at risk but Keauna's. Maybe some of the "pro" guys are strong enough skaters they could have the flu and not risk dropping their partner, but is that a chance Brandon or the show wanted to take?

cynthiabc and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

This is the first time I've heard of it myself. I know his foot was messed up at Worlds in Moscow, but when was he this sick?

29. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

About the Korean doctors, here is a pic that was featured on Ice Network when that issue happened. And one from his Cyworld.

2008 December, at Kim Yeona's Angels on Ice show, shortly before 2009 Nationals (where he skated disastrous due to loosing training time of the sickness).

30. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Agreed. You articulated it way better than I ever could have. Thanks.