Johnny Weir's next role: Hidden dragon (USA Today article)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

2. just tuned in

just tuned in Active Member

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

What happened to the fashion line he was supposed to have created? I thought the NY Times did a piece on some dresses he designed, hoping to get a famous celeb to wear them or something....?

4. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Didn't go anywhere.

5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Thanks Sylvia.

I think the Dripping in Gold outfit, and the red-fringed get up are interesting, and I like the skin-tight black pants with black and white top and leather-looking oddly cut jacket, but as for the rest, meh.

Oh well, Johnny and Victor as always look so handsome and sweet posing together.

^^ Yeah. :D Possibly tho’ Johnny and Victor have better things to do with their time, and more amusing things to laugh about (so should I, btw :shuffle:).

Hey, danceronice, re your #88 post, it seems like you have an interest in, or at least have a fairly good knowledge about the horsey world. In terms of interest, me too!

Anyways my earlier reference to Johnny as an equestrian was just an example I used from his book re the fact he had to make an important choice in life at a young age (which happens to a lot of young kids involved in a variety of activities). My gosh, Johnny was indeed very young when he started riding, and despite being fairly accomplished and successful at the level he competed, he may have eventually grown out of an interest in the horsey world anyway. It’s hard to determine what he would have done in terms of equestrian pursuits, since he gave up riding in favor of figure skating at around 11 or 12 years of age. One thing is for sure, his experience as an equestrian truly benefited his posture and carriage over the ice as a figure skater. :)

Anita18, in your #85 post you seem genuinely confused, disappointed and frustrated about Johnny. Might it help for you to accept that none of us can live Johnny’s life for him.

Your perceptions are not invalid per how you see things, but personally, I don’t think the comparisons/ contrasts that you are making re Anna Kournikova, The Kardashians, and Johnny Weir are necessarily apt or apropos, in the way you are making them.

Really? Can you name those number of other things[/]? Maybe you should be Johnny’s agent/ advisor.

And, maybe it’s time to bring back Sylvia’s earlier link which seems to have been overlooked by many of us.

http://www.epgn.com/pages/editional...t=push&section=Top Stories&section_class=blue

But yes, I know, it’s just a positive piece on Johnny in a gay publication. No fun that. We all know what we know about Johnny and furthermore we all know what’s good for him, that good for nuthin’ fame w**re. ;)

Well, if true, Japanfan, Johnny has indeed changed from the young skater who once spoke about his desire to some day design outfits that made people feel beautiful, and who was surprised he had so many fans interested in him and his skating.

I would say that most of us lead with our egos, whether or not we happen to be famous/ wannabes. As for me, I think I shall continue to defer from overly critical behavioral judgment on one, Johnny Weir-Voronov, until perchance I might have the honor or displeasure of meeting him in person.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Cross-posting from the Weir news thread in the Trash Can - his TV appearance is tonight:
    Direct link: http://espn.go.com/espnw/blog/post/3531/why-not-competing-year

7. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

Usually I consider JW to be a better writer than the sample he's offered here. This article seems like it could use a little more show, not tell, in the content.

8. aftershocks

IMO, Johnny sounds sincere and he certainly seems to be working hard from what he has detailed. As far as his writing, it's fairly straightforward, and nothing out of the ordinary from any of his writing. In any case, I would expect Johnny to do most of his showing on the ice, come next season.

Unless you were anticipating seeing photos of Johnny in training accompanying the text, I'm not sure what else you're looking for at this point.

9. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

According to Celebrity Networth, Johnny is worth 10 Million, so why would he need a sponsor to help with his training expenses?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  10. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Don't know why Johnny saw the need to boast about his chances to earn a spot on the World Championship team. Maybe Johnny did not realize that to earn a spot on the World team he would have had to earn the minimum TES scores....something that he failed to do in the two competitions that he competed in this season. :slinkaway However, he could have competed after Nationals to earn the required TES scores.... but it would have interfered with his vacation plans. :rofl:

11. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

He has got to be kidding, right? I've never read a more delusional sentence in all my life. He'd have struggled to make the top six, let alone qualify for Worlds. Max and Ross skated out of their skins, Jeremy was ordinary, true, but er, was he not watching Joshua, or Alexander, or Jason, or Adam, or even Ricky? His time is gone. He blew it, squandered his chance, and now he's done.

Man is he ever in for a big shock at Nationals next year...assuming he deigns to show up, of course.

12. aftershocks

^^ Your opinion, naturally, re your characterization of Johnny's skating career. Even if Johnny does not succeed with his desired comeback attempt, his accomplishments in skating, although not as good as his talent might have dictated in terms of international podium placements, is certainly nothing to sneeze at, or to speak about in a derogatory way. But yes, par for the course in every Johnny thread.

13. misskarne

Certainly three National championships and a Worlds bronze, scattered with some other international success, is nothing to sneer at.

But between his book and his Twitter account I have no respect left for him, and I fail to see how this is anything but a totally delusional statement.

14. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Johnny's quote was about this year's US Nationals, not his entire skating career. And if I read misskarne's post correctly, she was referring - as Johnny was - to how well he could have placed at that particular competition.

15. aftershocks

I read misskarne's original comments, "He blew it, squandered his chance, and now he's done," to be a derogatory reference to Johnny's skating career. Certainly, misskarne is not addressing in that particular sentence, Johnny's aborted comeback attempt this season, due to injury.

I see misskarne your additional comment that between Johnny's book and his Twitter account you have "no respect left for him," indeed if you ever had any in the first place. ;) Each fan likes who he/ she likes and dislikes who he/ she perceives deserves to be dissed, I suppose. I recall you previously stated in this thread that you did not enjoy Johnny's book:

Too bad you didn't just go ahead and throw the book across the room the first time the desire came to you, and then given it a couple of kicks for good measure and been done with it. Clearly, and perhaps fortunately in cases such as yours, no one is required to get through Johnny's book nor read any of his tweets.

16. misskarne

Please understand one thing, aftershocks.

When I first became aware of figure skating, Johnny was one of my favourite skaters. I liked him very much. But as time ticked by, I started to become aware that he was certainly not all sweetness and light as YOU seem to believe. Some of his tweets began to make me downright uncomfortable. What right did he have, I asked myself, to talk about a lack of money, when he was wearing designer labels and carrying bags worth more than my car?

I read the book because that is what I do - if I start a book, I have to finish it. I did not throw the book because I do not mistreat books, no matter how rubbish. And between his faking illness and injury, the chip on his shoulder, the constant whining and complaining about how the whole world was against him - no, I can't respect a skater like that. I can't respect a human being like that. His tweet begging his fans to give him money (while in the same breath bragging about his Birkin bags) was the last straw.

Were my original comments aimed at Johnny's career as a whole? Perhaps they were. What would he have been able to achieve had he applied himself, fixed his attitude problem, eliminated his sense of entitlement? What would he have been able to achieve without the histronics over costumes, the faking of illness and injury, the slacking off at training? We will, unfortunately, never know.

What I do know is that I don't believe for one second he was injured this season. I don't believe he was hurt at CoR - or maybe his ego was. I believe he pulled out of Nationals because he was going to be embarrassed. And I don't believe he's going to show up next season when he realises that US skating has moved on. There are new stars, new champions, skaters with better technique and better quality of movement, a group of lovely, amiable young men without histronics or drama and yet firmly in possession of their own characters and personalities.

17. aftershocks

I'm a Johnny fan, and I still enjoy watching his skating and reading about what he's doing. That said, I don't follow all of his tweets. The ones I have read on occasion, I've found entertaining and innocuous. If his tweets make you uncomfortable, why bother continuing to read them? It is what it is re the fact he didn't accomplish more earlier in his career.

As far as must finish reading books you started, that's a personal thing. But honestly, why torture yourself?

Re any athletes' reported injuries, I personally would steer clear of questioning that sort of thing. But I suppose Johnny and everything about him and associated with him is always fair game.

Re the "new stars, new champions ... group of lovely, amiable young men": Love who you love, enjoy whoever makes your heart go pitter-patter. I'm sure some among the new group of "lovely, amiable young men," including Max Aaron, Jason Brown and Yuzuru Hanyu would be happy to admit that they respect and admire Johnny Weir.

18. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:eek: He's a millionaire!

Donno. He doesn't need a sponsor. He's a celebrity and millionaire. I am sure he can find a lot of sponsors?

19. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

I think in general, most people will give an athlete the benefit of doubt regarding reported injuries. However, Johnny wrote a book, and ADMITTED that he LIED about an injury in order to withdraw from a competition. From that point on, Johnny's credibility was damaged. As a result, many people will no longer give him the benefit of doubt about a reported injury.

20. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

:D He is not a millionaire, otherwise he wouldn't need to beg money from fans on Twitter. Those Celebrity Networths are calculated totally randomly.

21. aftershocks

I doubt certain people have ever given Johnny the benefit of the doubt re anything. :lol:

And he’s bad, bad Johnny Weir
    The naughtiest f*ing diva in the whole d**n sphere
    Badder than old Pinocchio-o-o-o
    More deceitful than a junkyard hobo!

Wow, he even ADMITTED that he LIED, how dare he???

I'm sure that in some people's minds Johnny's credibility was shot long before he penned that disgusting, worthless how can we believe he's telling the truth anyway, so-called book.

22. misskarne

Honestly, aftershocks, if you can't see the problem with faking and lying about injuries on multiple occasions (often for no other reason than things were not going his way), then we have no more to say to each other.

I can only wonder how many other talented skaters out there would have killed for the opportunities that Johnny was given and wasted. Which American skater missed out on CoR 2004, when Johnny faked illness at the last minute, for example?

23. aftershocks

^^ You brought it up and explained in detail how you see it, misskarne, which is fine and your point of view. Personally, my posts are never intended to try convincing anyone to see things any differently than they already do. That's useless, and hardly what message boards are about. And, I also don't feel any need to be judge, jury and executioner when it comes to Johnny. There seems to be plenty of people ready willing and able to take charge of that, "with great vengeance and furious anger." ;)

24. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I'm a big Johnny fan but I did not expect Johnny to medal had he skated at Nationals, although I did have high hopes he would medal on the GP. I was just looking forward to seeing him skate again. As for this year's CoR, fans who I spoke to in Russia said he was limping pretty badly when he returned to the hotel after the SP so I would like to believe this injury was real. Plus, given Johnny's admission of faking injury, I wouldn't be surprised if US figure skating demanded Johnny be seen by their doctor to verify his injury before withdrawing.

25. aftershocks

Yes it was nice to see Johnny skating again in competition at Finlandia Trophy, but as he mentioned in his blog post, his comeback did not proceed so well leading up to his GP season debut at Rostelecom Cup. I didn't and don't have any expectations of what Johnny might be able to do, and I don't feel any need to criticize or make fun of him for trying to come back either. But as I've said before, I would enjoy seeing Johnny skating on a professional tour (along with other veterans), doing shows and commentating at events.

26. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

He bought a 1.1 million dollar condo in 2011, so he would have to be a millionaire, as no bank would loan anyone that kind of money to buy a house if they weren't.

27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Her opinion of course, but yet you state your opinions as fact. I know you like Johnny, but you respond to almost every single post that you don't like. Why is that? Why do you take it so personal when someone is critical of Johnny?

28. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Well that's not true. Most banks will lend to someone who has the income to make the payments. Since his condo barely tops a million he doesn't necessarily need to be a millionaire to buy it (almost every purchase in that area is in jumbo loans!) And rates were extremely low in 2011, so his payments might not even be that high if he has decent credit.

It wouldn't suprise me if he was a millionare, but I know people in the Bergen county/NYC area with million dollar condos who are not. And even here in little Iowa, my net worth isn't close to the value of my home, probably not even half, but the bank still loaned me the money. And it's my second house, as we own another we are still paying on.

The thing that gets me is Johnny's comment that if he skated well at Nationals he'd have made the World team. Well, yeah- if I had skated well at US Nationals I would have made the world team too. But I lack the ability to skate well at that level, and at this point, Johnny does too. Maybe Johnny can get back to that level- I'd love to see these quad toes and sals he is talking about. And I hope he adds back in the artistry he once had, because towards the end of his career, the programs got awfully empty.

29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

There's no way he's worth $10 million, or even a millionaire. Net worth/designation as millionaire is based on assets outside one's primary residence. If Johnny had access to a million - let alone 10 - there's no way he'd be complaining about lack of federation or sponsor support, taking so many free gifts or selling his clothes to raise funds.

On another note, thanks for sharing the blog post Sylvia. It's good to hear that Johnny is continuing to train every day and work on programs for next season. Can someone remind me - how many times has Johnny completed a clean quad in competition?

30. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

^^^ I am more inclined to believe Johnny is at least A millionaire though of course only he himself knows how much he has in the bank and assets. ;) Alright, he owns a condo, his partner is a professional/lawyer (whom I assume should earn more than an average income), he is a sought after celebrity which means he can charge for appearances and he wears designer clothes and handbags. Enough to convince me. :D