Johnny Weir's next role: Hidden dragon (USA Today article)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Feb 7, 2013.

1. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

His goal to attend at the Olympics makes him more relevant and interesting celebrity to be invited to all kinds if shows and interviews.
  2. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think Johnny should go try to compete for Russia. That would be as realistic as these things he is saying.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think one of the reasons Johnny tried to go back to skating is that of all his endeavours, skating is the only one where he's achieved anything and enjoyed any kind of success or real fame.

And this is another one.
  4. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Frankly, Russia needs him.
  5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:rofl: :lol: So right, even at this age and stage of his existence. And, maybe Johnny needs TAT! Oooh what a match made in heaven that was. Guess TAT is praying for something similar with young Kovtun, who is seemingly being rushed out to the senior scene so quickly in desperation. Too bad they dissed veteran Menshov in the process. If Johnny had been born in Russia, wowsers, he might already have an Olympic medal and a World gold medal.
  6. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Or he'd be training in awful physical conditions, and you know how good he is at over coming small obstacles.
  7. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Perhaps he thought he would get the benefit of Nationals inflation and those points would just appear out of the blue.

Regarding this: "On the motives behind his comeback: "I wasn't coming back to keep people talking about me. I have enough people talking about me in many other industries, I don't need to pretend I'm going to skate."" Um, directed at anyone in particular?

I think they roll out red carpets at practically any promotional or fundraiser party in LA/Vegas.

Hair product event? http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...HAAcUea4JMWq0AGtlYEY&ved=0CDUQ9QEwAQ&dur=1763

Bon Appetit Vegas Uncork'd: http://www.foodfashionista.com/food...view-at-fashion-feast-gala-vegas-uncorkd.html

Miss USA: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...HAAcUea4JMWq0AGtlYEY&ved=0CDsQ9QEwAw&dur=1950 He should not go outside the Olympic village in Sochi in this outfit. ;)
    (I knew he had to have worn a rainbow fur coat somewhere).

Do a search, he's all over the red carpet.
  8. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Yes, but Johnny, do you have a cougar like Vera Wang living with you?
  9. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

skatemomaz and (deleted member) like this.
  10. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Yes, after the movie they made about him flopped, they made a TV series about that failure. And then they made a second season on that TV series chronicling the failure of the first season. :p
    TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  11. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

12. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

:wideeyes: brainbleach stat!
  13. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

The total lack of taste and restraint in his wardrobe never ceases to amaze me.
    Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Didn't say he didn't do other things, the question is did he achieve success and fame in those endeavours? Is he a tv or reality star? Is his show highly rated or critically acclaimed? Was his book a bestseller? Is he a force in fashion design? Is anyone seeking out his commentary on fashion? Does he have legions of fans who follow him just because he's a tv star, author or fashion icon?

In skating, he won titles and medals and remains widely known and respected for his achievements and his abilities, he continues to be in demand for shows abroad, and he has a significant fan base. Therefore, it was no surprise to me that he'd try to go back to it - the one thing where he really is Somebody, rather than just Yet Another.
  15. aftershocks

IDK Iron Lady, that Johnny has trouble “overcoming small obstacles.” He sure has overcome some huge ones. In any case, I’m not exactly sure what you mean by that. If you are referring to training, obviously, Johnny has admitted how tough he finds training to be, and so have other skaters. Even those who don’t talk about it live and breathe how difficult it is. I don’t think that Johnny’s dislike of training means he didn’t or doesn't ever work hard. He wouldn’t have been able to make two Olympic teams if he hadn’t worked his butt off to be in shape. Admittedly, in his late teens and early twenties, he didn’t always listen to Priscilla, but I think some of Johnny’s skating career problems had more to do with competition nerves, decisions that didn’t work out, as well as not a huge amount of support politically, and getting into trouble because of his rebellious outspoken stance and his refusal to conform in the desired manner.

Yes, that's some scary hair in that photo, and the costume is simply unforgiveable (in more ways than one ;)). But lighten up guys, it was a Halloween costume party. Don't we all have some embarrassing Halloween costume moments? Or for that matter, embarrassing moments, period. :lol:
  16. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I was talking about how condescending and bitter Johnny usually seems toward the United States. Yet, living in the USA and being American has only provided Johnny with advantages. I doubt his blue collar, uneducated parents would have had three cents in Russia, let alone the money to pay for equestrian lessons. There would have been few sponsors or nice, modern rinks for him in the late 90s and 2000s. If diet issues throw him off so much that he cannot compete, what would he have done in a country with as many infrastructural and economic issues as Russia? I have no issue with Johnny's skating, but his denigration of the United States and the USFSA is puerile. His expressions of smug anti-Americanism are silly and probably the only thing Russia would have given him more opportunity to do.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  17. aftershocks

^^ Wow, Iron Lady. Have you read Johnny's biography? I guess whether you have or haven't, it wouldn't change your mind. Personally, I think Johnny like most of us has plenty of faults, but condescension and bitterness IMHO are not among them. It's really fascinating how for some reason Johnny seems to be a mirror of as well as a scapegoat for many people to denounce humanity's worst possible character traits.

You actually seem to be bitter and uptight yourself re your above comments, and I can't imagine why, unless you've had personal dealings with Johnny of an unpleasant nature. In fact, if Johnny had been born in Russia, he might not even be the Johnny that many of us seem to feel we know. I doubt USFS would have welcomed Johnny back this season if they felt so strongly that he denigrates them and his own country. You are on the wrong track there, in my humble estimation.

ETA:

Not sure which version is your final edited version since we seem to be posting simultaneously.
  18. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

What about my comments are uptight? :lol:

We can both agree for sure than Johnny would not be "Johnny Weir" had he grown up in Russia.
  19. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Aftershocks, Don't take my rant that seriously. I probably have projected some things onto Johnny. A lot of my friends are very snobbish about America, and I take that very seriously (perhaps I am uptight? :lol:). I think every country has its problems, and the USA has done a lot for these individuals, at least in terms of getting education and well paying jobs (which I know is not everything).

I get annoyed because I see how hard people like Plushenko had it. He grew up in what might be considered poverty by American standards. It makes me wonder if any US skater could even take it there. If you look at Michelle Kwan, she might be among the few who could because she came from that immigrant mentality where you come to America to work. I think Johnny does work hard, and I have no issues with his skating. He has in prior years given the impression that he thinks he is too good for Americans. His show even has him starry eyed in the streets of Moscow in awe over how he would be a superstar were he Russian. It can seem narcissistic and out of touch with reality.

After reading the post by you, someone who is very respectful and thoughtful, I think I should have restrained myself from making a projection. Like you said, this is not Johnny but people he reminds me of. If I knew him personally I might understand him and his Rusophilia better in context.
  20. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Handy hint, aftershocks: that's not the best argument. I liked Johnny reasonably well before I read that book. After I got through it (not without being tempted to throw it across the room several times), I couldn't stand him.

Or, to put it another way: I highly doubt a Russian skater who faked and injury/illness would ever skate for Russia again. Johnny admitted to faking on a few occasions.
  21. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

FWIW, a friend of mine sat next to JW on a very long transatlantic flight once. She isn't a skating fan and didn't know Weir from Adam. According to her, she had never witnessed anyone treat others with such condescension and contempt as she witnessed Weir treating others. Weir wasn't trying to impress anyone, so was just behaving as his usual self. He treated the agent traveling with him like a lowly servant as she ran back and forth from her economy class section to his first class seat to respond to his ongoing requests for service. He called his mom and spoke with such disdain towards her, my friend was appalled. When one of the flight attendants recognized him, Weir spoke to him with open disgust.

The only positive thing she relayed was her baggage got put back a section, so when they landed Weir told her to just push everyone aside and get it so she could exit the plane before anyone else. When she expressed discomfort with doing that, he did it for her by shoving everyone to the side of the aisle so she could get her bag. Then he told her that's how it's done, and exited the plane. So she did get off the plane quickly :shuffle:

That's Weir unvarnished, and I have to say I don't find that terribly lovable.

YMMV
  22. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

This is the first time I ever heard a story like that. Everyone I know who has met Johnny has only had positive things to say but everyone is entitled to having a bad day, even those in the public eye.
  23. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I think there's a difference between a fan meeting someone at a meet-and-greet or skating event, and a regular person witnessing how someone behaves when the spotlight isn't there.
  24. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

And just because your friend says she saw Weir behave in a certain way one day doesn't mean he's that way the other 364 days of the year. Why in the world do we expect celebrities or athletes or politicians to be perfect 365 days a year? Everyone has a bad day, everyone has a day they declare war on the world, to label someone based on one bad experience is really not fair. I know I wouldn't want someone to see my at my worse and assume that's me everyday.
  25. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I see no reason not to believe you, as I've never thought of you as a liar on this forum. Sad to hear that Johnny behaved that way.
  26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Now that he's finally got them sorted and doesn't look like an orangutan any more, yes. :p

Decent people don't behave like that ever.
  27. skateboy

:respec:
  28. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

29. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

OMG, I wish I had never seen that. It is burned in my retinas and from now on that is how I will see him no matter what he is wearing. Hope he is not crazy enough to compete in that outfit. lol
  30. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

To be fair, I did read some unkind things about Michelle and Tara on bitterwaitress.com years ago before they went all Facebook. Apparently Kwanita had a diva fit over a meatloaf sandwich in a restaurant, and Tara was miffed at having to share a bathroom with people at a swank restaurant...our little ice princesses do have feet of clay sometimes. But Johnny is somewhat abrasive to me, so I am not as surprised at his diva behavior.
  31. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

Kwanita would never order anything as unspeakable as a meatloaf sandwich...:drama: :mad:

(Jus que dingue. I have no idea what happened.)
  32. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Oh, but she DID, gurl. Whoever she was dating at the time took her to some upscale LA diner and she ordered a meatloaf sandwich, deemed it too soggy and not only sent it back, but demanded a comp. They gave her a bananas foster for dessert, free of charge, but she was snarky for the rest of the evening and left without tipping, chile....with her Fendi bag dangling behind her...the way Margo Channing carried her fur coat...
  33. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

Like a good uber, I've decided that the story's author owns a worn-down trench coat and a funny hat. :drama: :saint: (ETA: Okay, not really.)
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
    skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  34. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I hope a waitress doesn't wear a schmatta like that :lol:...
  35. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

And that doesn't mean that the report of how he behaved on that day is wrong.

Judiz, I know you are a big fan of Johnny's, but if anyone seems to be expecting him to be perfect 365 a days a year, it's you. it's a little troubling how you justify his actions or give an alternative explanation every time anything is posted about him that's even remotely negative. It's entirely possible that he does act badly on occasion and he does make bad decisions on occasion. That doesn't mean he's a bad person, or a lousy skater. But trying to portray him as 100% perfect, and blameless in every situation that he's involved in, just isn't realistic.
    skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  36. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with returning crap food and then not tipping.
  37. skateboy

There is if the waitress and restaurant did their best to make it right and gave a free dessert along with that.
    meggonzo and (deleted member) like this.
  38. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Like a good uber, falling_dance is there!

:encore:
  39. aftershocks

Did someone mention uber? :lol:

BTW, I’d say the name of the website that exposed MK’s and Tara’s dining snitfits tells us more than the tattling does.

Doesn’t mean its right either, or left. IMO, it’s simply hearsay. Even when different people who happen to witness the same event or overhear the same conversation are interviewed, it is possible to receive a variety of conflicting accounts and impressions of what exactly happened or what was said and by whom, and what it might have meant. It doesn’t matter either whether the "reporter" who provided the salacious tidbits was sitting next to Johnny, across from him or down the aisle.

If you find judiz’s innocuous comments troubling, you must have a high and unforgiving trouble-detecting threshold. ITA that we’re all human and we all behave badly on occasion, and some of us behave badly more than just on occasion. To read some of the perceptions here about Johnny tho,’ he seems to be quite often perceived and denigrated as such a reprehensible and irredeemable fame w**re. The truth about his character and motivations likely resides somewhere in the middle, again as it does for most human beings. Or maybe unlike most humans, the truth about Johnny might reside somewhere in outer space, similar to the planet named after him. ;)

IMO, judiz is not necessarily trying to portray Johnny as 100% perfect, although that appears to be your perception of what she’s doing. My perception is that judiz is sharing her views of Johnny, as are we all. And as usual, we all have differing viewpoints, which again, does not make any of us right or wrong. "All truths are but half-truths; every truth is half-false; there are two sides to everything.” (The Kybalion)

Here’s a bit of apropos wisdom from a poster on Icenetwork.com:

People's views are like Apples and Oranges; prefer whichever you enjoy but remember they both are peeled.

And I would add: both peels can be digested, or not. :p

Okay, but the bolded part is debatable. Real fame as opposed to what, not so real? Fame is fame, whether the degree of it is 24/7 fishbowl annoying, or a measly 15 minutes. :lol: Your above comments and your most recent post, Jenny, seem to be stated as a negative. Johnny has often referred to the fact that skating is his main talent, and it’s a pursuit to which he’s obviously devoted more than half his life. So, of course skating is where he’s made his name, and apparently skating remains for him a major focus and an important part of his life.

At a young age (as he describes in his bio), Johnny had to choose between continuing as a figure skater or as an equestrian; a tough decision because he was successful and precocious at both endeavors. As a matter of fact, I think Johnny has achieved success and at least a modicum of fame at a majority of the goals he’s set for himself. And, of course, his high profile as a skating athlete has helped make a lot of his opportunities possible. He likely would have succeeded in life even if he hadn’t chosen figure skating, but it seems he was fated to be a skater. At a young age, he’s already accomplished more than most people will in one lifetime.

In any case, maybe I'm missing something and wanting to be famous, successful, happy, and desiring to have one’s dreams fulfilled is some kind of crime. Then manacle him already! Or better yet, straitjacket him! Heh, heh, I think Adrian Schultheiss already has a claim to that particular bit of straitjacket fame, on-ice in Vancouver 2010. :inavoid:
  40. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Did Johnny win first prize for the best costume at the Halloween party?:p