Johnny Weir's next role: Hidden dragon (USA Today article)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Feb 7, 2013.

1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

2. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

The last Johnny I remember was in the skating with the celeb show, not very lovable or unique. Well I guess unique, in an attention getting way. I think just trying to shock us or maybe he really does think he looks good. Maybe I'm just uptight, but I don't care for this Johnny very much and I use to really like him. He just seems arrogant now.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Johnny likes to say provocative things. This is not new behavior for him at all.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

You keep using those quotation marks. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.

5. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

From Johnny's twitter re: fashion week

Johnny Weir-Voronov ‏@JohnnyGWeir
    Strutting for @MichaelKuluva @tumblerandtipsy in the morning, then @AsherLevine and @theblondsny in the evening! Busy Tuesday dead ahead...

6. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

Is Johnny currently training at all? He doesn't tweet anything related his practices anymore.

7. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

From what I remember reading, he has been skating on his own but will return to full training in a few weeks.

8. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

Maybe he doesn't need to pretend he's going to skate, but my impression of JW is that he can never have TOO many people talking about him. Positive, negative, or otherwise.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^Well since Johnny exists (He's Alive!! :eek:), people are gonna talk, "positive, negative or otherwise." ;)

10. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

That is it EXACTLY! Do you ever notice how people who get up on a stage always want attention? It's like they're saying, "look at me"...again!!! Honestly, how self-cented can you GET??!!

BittyBug, LadyNit, milanessa and 3 others like this.
  11. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

His goal to attend at the Olympics makes him more relevant and interesting celebrity to be invited to all kinds if shows and interviews.

12. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I think Johnny should go try to compete for Russia. That would be as realistic as these things he is saying.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think one of the reasons Johnny tried to go back to skating is that of all his endeavours, skating is the only one where he's achieved anything and enjoyed any kind of success or real fame.

And this is another one.

14. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Frankly, Russia needs him.

15. aftershocks

:rofl: :lol: So right, even at this age and stage of his existence. And, maybe Johnny needs TAT! Oooh what a match made in heaven that was. Guess TAT is praying for something similar with young Kovtun, who is seemingly being rushed out to the senior scene so quickly in desperation. Too bad they dissed veteran Menshov in the process. If Johnny had been born in Russia, wowsers, he might already have an Olympic medal and a World gold medal.

16. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Or he'd be training in awful physical conditions, and you know how good he is at over coming small obstacles.

17. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Perhaps he thought he would get the benefit of Nationals inflation and those points would just appear out of the blue.

Regarding this: "On the motives behind his comeback: "I wasn't coming back to keep people talking about me. I have enough people talking about me in many other industries, I don't need to pretend I'm going to skate."" Um, directed at anyone in particular?

I think they roll out red carpets at practically any promotional or fundraiser party in LA/Vegas.

Hair product event? http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...HAAcUea4JMWq0AGtlYEY&ved=0CDUQ9QEwAQ&dur=1763

Bon Appetit Vegas Uncork'd: http://www.foodfashionista.com/food...view-at-fashion-feast-gala-vegas-uncorkd.html

Miss USA: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...HAAcUea4JMWq0AGtlYEY&ved=0CDsQ9QEwAw&dur=1950 He should not go outside the Olympic village in Sochi in this outfit. ;)
    (I knew he had to have worn a rainbow fur coat somewhere).

Do a search, he's all over the red carpet.

18. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Yes, but Johnny, do you have a cougar like Vera Wang living with you?

19. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

skatemomaz and (deleted member) like this.
  20. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Yes, after the movie they made about him flopped, they made a TV series about that failure. And then they made a second season on that TV series chronicling the failure of the first season. :p

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  21. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

22. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

:wideeyes: brainbleach stat!

23. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

The total lack of taste and restraint in his wardrobe never ceases to amaze me.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Didn't say he didn't do other things, the question is did he achieve success and fame in those endeavours? Is he a tv or reality star? Is his show highly rated or critically acclaimed? Was his book a bestseller? Is he a force in fashion design? Is anyone seeking out his commentary on fashion? Does he have legions of fans who follow him just because he's a tv star, author or fashion icon?

In skating, he won titles and medals and remains widely known and respected for his achievements and his abilities, he continues to be in demand for shows abroad, and he has a significant fan base. Therefore, it was no surprise to me that he'd try to go back to it - the one thing where he really is Somebody, rather than just Yet Another.

25. aftershocks

IDK Iron Lady, that Johnny has trouble “overcoming small obstacles.” He sure has overcome some huge ones. In any case, I’m not exactly sure what you mean by that. If you are referring to training, obviously, Johnny has admitted how tough he finds training to be, and so have other skaters. Even those who don’t talk about it live and breathe how difficult it is. I don’t think that Johnny’s dislike of training means he didn’t or doesn't ever work hard. He wouldn’t have been able to make two Olympic teams if he hadn’t worked his butt off to be in shape. Admittedly, in his late teens and early twenties, he didn’t always listen to Priscilla, but I think some of Johnny’s skating career problems had more to do with competition nerves, decisions that didn’t work out, as well as not a huge amount of support politically, and getting into trouble because of his rebellious outspoken stance and his refusal to conform in the desired manner.

Yes, that's some scary hair in that photo, and the costume is simply unforgiveable (in more ways than one ;)). But lighten up guys, it was a Halloween costume party. Don't we all have some embarrassing Halloween costume moments? Or for that matter, embarrassing moments, period. :lol:

26. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I was talking about how condescending and bitter Johnny usually seems toward the United States. Yet, living in the USA and being American has only provided Johnny with advantages. I doubt his blue collar, uneducated parents would have had three cents in Russia, let alone the money to pay for equestrian lessons. There would have been few sponsors or nice, modern rinks for him in the late 90s and 2000s. If diet issues throw him off so much that he cannot compete, what would he have done in a country with as many infrastructural and economic issues as Russia? I have no issue with Johnny's skating, but his denigration of the United States and the USFSA is puerile. His expressions of smug anti-Americanism are silly and probably the only thing Russia would have given him more opportunity to do.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  27. aftershocks

^^ Wow, Iron Lady. Have you read Johnny's biography? I guess whether you have or haven't, it wouldn't change your mind. Personally, I think Johnny like most of us has plenty of faults, but condescension and bitterness IMHO are not among them. It's really fascinating how for some reason Johnny seems to be a mirror of as well as a scapegoat for many people to denounce humanity's worst possible character traits.

You actually seem to be bitter and uptight yourself re your above comments, and I can't imagine why, unless you've had personal dealings with Johnny of an unpleasant nature. In fact, if Johnny had been born in Russia, he might not even be the Johnny that many of us seem to feel we know. I doubt USFS would have welcomed Johnny back this season if they felt so strongly that he denigrates them and his own country. You are on the wrong track there, in my humble estimation.

ETA:

Not sure which version is your final edited version since we seem to be posting simultaneously.

28. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

What about my comments are uptight? :lol:

We can both agree for sure than Johnny would not be "Johnny Weir" had he grown up in Russia.

29. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Aftershocks, Don't take my rant that seriously. I probably have projected some things onto Johnny. A lot of my friends are very snobbish about America, and I take that very seriously (perhaps I am uptight? :lol:). I think every country has its problems, and the USA has done a lot for these individuals, at least in terms of getting education and well paying jobs (which I know is not everything).

I get annoyed because I see how hard people like Plushenko had it. He grew up in what might be considered poverty by American standards. It makes me wonder if any US skater could even take it there. If you look at Michelle Kwan, she might be among the few who could because she came from that immigrant mentality where you come to America to work. I think Johnny does work hard, and I have no issues with his skating. He has in prior years given the impression that he thinks he is too good for Americans. His show even has him starry eyed in the streets of Moscow in awe over how he would be a superstar were he Russian. It can seem narcissistic and out of touch with reality.

After reading the post by you, someone who is very respectful and thoughtful, I think I should have restrained myself from making a projection. Like you said, this is not Johnny but people he reminds me of. If I knew him personally I might understand him and his Rusophilia better in context.

30. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Handy hint, aftershocks: that's not the best argument. I liked Johnny reasonably well before I read that book. After I got through it (not without being tempted to throw it across the room several times), I couldn't stand him.

Or, to put it another way: I highly doubt a Russian skater who faked and injury/illness would ever skate for Russia again. Johnny admitted to faking on a few occasions.