Johnny Weir's next role: Hidden dragon (USA Today article)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

2. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Interesting article. I really like Johnny, but it does seem like someone is doing a lot to put him in the public eye lately. I even saw him on Say Yes To The Dress the other day.

3. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

"Weir was impressed with Max Aaron, who won the gold. "But otherwise I was somewhat disappointed," he said. "After Max Aaron's jumping ability, I very easily could have done very well in the competition and that was difficult to sit at home and watch.""

You could not have done "Very well" because you were injured and bad mouthing your competitors just to make yourself look good is not good form. Those who can do, those who can't shouldn't trash talk IMHO

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

He was injured?
    I thought his reason for withdrawing was that he saw on the grand prix the level of skating had risen dramatically and he was not trained well enough to compete at the elite level anymore. So it sounds like he is saying the Americans aren't as good as the international elite.

5. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Easily, really? Recent performance doesn't support that. I usually don't comment too much on all the various PR stuff that all athletes put out there - the press asks, they answer, a lot of it is worthless. This is really irritating though.

The 'if I'd only been there, I would have been great, you'd have seen it' stuff from anyone is really junk. The competition doesn't take place in someone's head - you actually have to get out on the ice.

Talking about what you saw is good (even if you're critical); talking about what you'd like to do in your own work plan is good; suggesting that you would have been in silver medal position if you'd shown up is disrespectful to the guys who actually got out there, took their risks and competed well.

Sitting in the "commentary booth" and telling people where you would have placed if only you had skated doesn't cut it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  6. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

Johnny - less talk and more action, ok??

7. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I think that was a re-run of an episode from a couple of years ago.

From the article:
    I really wish he wouldn't say things like this. It sounds desperate for fame.

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

And seriously, how many red carpets has he walked? How many fashion shows has he attended, let alone sat in the front row?

9. Skittl1321

Probably quite a few of both. Now, major ones- probably not many at all. But there are so many red carpet events and minor fashion shows that it can't possibly be hard for someone with some connections (and he has been on multiple reality shows, his own and the food network thing) to get invited.

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Yeah, but he talks like he's attending the Oscars and sitting next to Anna Wintour. Like celebrities, there are A-D lists for red carpets and fashion shows too. As I type this I realize that I've actually walked a few red carpets too, and I'm nobody :lol:

11. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

More than any of us have, I'll wager.

12. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I heard he has a red carpet leading to the front door of his home.;)

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  13. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

Agreed.
    I used to be a fan of his, and I don't dislike him or anything - but he's such a famewhore. He's constantly bragging about just how supposedly famous and popular he is. Gurl, you're a C-list star at most.

14. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

He's friends with Asher Levine and Chris Benz so he either walks in their shows or has front row seats. According to his twitter, Johnny attended a fashion show at the Russian embassy last night for a Russian designer and has invitations to four other fashion shows next week. Two years ago he designed a coat for Adrienne Landau’s fall line and a dress line for edressme.com

15. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I am forced to agree, that is some serious TRASH-TALKIN'!!!!! If someone looked me in the eye and said, "I very easily could have done very well" in comparison to my performance...well, I would just wither up and die! I can barely stay seated in my chair thinking how crushed Mr. Aaron must be upon reading this shattering vitriol! Would it be appropriate for us to start up a collection for flowers for Max? I surely hope Aaron won't withdraw from 4CC after being attacked in such a horrific manner... :(

16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Weir was complimentary about Aaron; you meant "I surely hope Miner and Dornbush won't withdraw from 4CC..." right? ;)

17. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ :lol: Johnny's complimentary about Max's jumps, and of course, his eyebrows! Max even gave a shout out to Johnny along with an eyebrow wiggle in the kiss 'n cry after his I]Tron Legacy[/I] sp. :D

PeterG, you mischievous curmudgeon, you're so curmudgeonly loveable. ;)

Johnny Weir, you mischievous fallen angel (turned crouching tiger, hidden dragon?), quotable, never-say-die rebellious diva Swanita, and misunderstood Nature Boy! I wish you well and thanks for the memories ... :swoon:

Fond wishes to you too, PeterG. :respec:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Exactly my point.

19. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

""Evgeni is unlike anyone else I've seen in the sport. He fights until he's bleeding or crying every single day to be better. He's the surest thing about the Sochi Olympics. He will be there and he will be in shape."

So, Johnny, the lesson to you is: Be Like Evgeni, Johnny Weir.

20. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I find it interesting Johnny says he easily could have done very well when the 4 men's medalists all scored well over 240 points for total scores while in the events Johnny competed in this season he was getting like 200. So really, you think you could "very easily" jump 40-50 points over the course of a couple months? Come on. Maybe he was trying to say that apart from Max, the other top guys weren't reeling off tons of quads, but what about Johnny's 3a that's so often MIA? He doesn't usually even attempt 3a-3t. Further, Jeremy didn't bomb and wound up third, and IMO was lucky he didn't wind up lower than that, after landing all three of his planned 3axels between his two programs. To me it seems Johnny is trying to belittle the accomplishments of the other men on the podium, which isn't cool because they all skated really well and to a level we haven't seen from Johnny in quite a while.

21. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone's arguing that Max gives a rusty hoot about what Johnny thinks. ;)

22. Skittl1321

I think Max and Johnny actually get along. They have tweeted each other, plus Johnny complimented his eyebrows.

23. meggonzo

meggonzo Well-Known Member

I just think it means that he thought he could have been competitive, not that everyone else sucked.

24. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

"After Max's jumping ability," um, I can think of several other skaters who could have done very well if not for their jumps. :lol: You're not the only other competitor with great artistry!

I don't think he's necessarily trash talking, maybe he's really that naive. :eek:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  25. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:lol: Max does have nice dark eyebrows. :D

26. Margaret

Margaret New Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think Johnny still doesn't understand CoP.

29. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Agree! Less talk, more action, Johnny Weir.

30. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:lol: I think Max gets Johnny, as do most skaters who have the chance to get to know him. I think they realize that he's kinda crazy, very unique, and above all, loveable. It's just some fan "types" and some media "types," or let's just say "uptight" people who don't get his humor and his cheekiness, and/ or understand how to read between the lines of what sounds to them like simply "trash talking."