Johnny Weir will NOT compete the 2011-12 season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Spartacus, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/johnnyweir/home/2011/06/johnny-weir-a-note-to-my-fans/

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

3. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

4. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Well, that's no big shock... :yawn:

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

His hair would be a minimal -3 deduction, I am sure...

mmscfdcsu and (deleted member) like this.
  6. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

:rofl:

snark much? :p

7. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Shocking, just shocking I say!! ;)

8. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Hater! :lynch:

:p

9. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised. I didn't think he was going to compete (this season). I honestly don't think he'll ever be back to eligible competition, but maybe he can get an invite to Scott Hamilton's new comps.

10. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I just hope he doesn't pull a Sasha and show up to 2014 nationals as his first comp. in four years. It's not going to work!

11. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

...In other news the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. :p

12. a56

a56 New Member

I don't think he'll be back for 2012-2013 either, contrary to what he says in the message. Maybe he'll come back for one last try at the Olympics, but more likely, he's enjoying his present life off ice so much he won't want to go back to the rigors of training.

13. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Forget the Crone/Poirer split, the Denney/Coughlin/Yankowskas shuffle, the retirement of Zuerlein, or the myriad coaching changes this season... THIS is the shock of all shocks for the off season! Next, you'll be telling me that the Kween announced she won't try for Sochi :(. I don't think I can take any more surprises :drama:

14. millipied

millipied New Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

15. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

:yawn: It's just as well. He hasn't done anything interesting on ice in years. He can stick with the mediocrity of pop culture and make his quick cash off of the shallow end of the gene pool. :(

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. misskarne

misskarne #408

Uh, I hate to say it, but DUH.

Blind Freddy could have seen that one coming.

"due to many obligations in my professional life, I will not be able to devote enough time to my training and my representation of the United States in international competition."

"still training hard whenever my schedule permits."

These two lines alone tell you right now that he's not got the right attitude - he's fitting skating around his celebrity life, not fitting his celebrity life around his skating. Skating doesn't appear to be high on his list of priorities right now.

17. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yeah I was about to say...I thought skating WAS his professional life.. So is he Johnny Weir fame whore now instead of Johnny Weir figure skater?

18. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl Active Member

I didn't detect any snark in his message. I think he was being sincere--he's quite devoted to his fans.

I think it makes sense for him not to compete this year. He's at retirement age anyway, and I think that's in the back of his mind. I'm guessing he's having trouble letting go of the sport but knows he will have to do so eventually, so he's trying to set up a career for himself outside of it. I think Johnny and Evan are kind of in the same "what do I do now" boat. And they're both taking all the opportunities that come along so they can explore their options.

19. REO

REO New Member

Actually they asked him to lecture at several Ivy League colleges and to run for political office but he said he'd rather skate in shows to benefit cancer and aids research and work for the Human Rights Campaign where the gene pool is nice and shallow. :rolleyes: If he can make money by being on tv or singing his little song why does that offend you so much? The only skaters who make a good living still skating are Olympic champions. He's not one. Also the day of the ice show is fading and the only one in the US won't have him. He still skates in Asia and Europe, but he lives here. "Pop culture" means the popular culture. What is enjoyed by the most people. I don't think that ALL people who enjoy it are the shallow end of the gene pool. I think it is a rather broad spectrum. For example, President Obama had the rap artist Common to the White House the other day. Whatever your politics I don't think you would call Barak Obama the shallow end of the gene pool.

See you at the symphony dahling. ;)

20. JAF

JAF Well-Known Member

Hmm Kurt Browning :p

21. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl Active Member

I agree that he's doing a lot of good work now. He seems to be dipping his toe into activism as well, which is nice to see. If someone came along and said to me, "Would you like to write a book, record a song, go on talk shows, and do a fashion line" and I had the guts and charisma to do all of that, I'd say yes. Why not take those opportunities? You only live once. As long as you're not hurting anyone (and bonus points if you inspire others in the process), why not try new things? Gosh, even Bette Davis recorded a pop song at one point in her career. Why not?

22. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I give him credit for not stretching it all out until the last moment.

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

If he wants to come back eventually, assuming the rules for "returning skaters" for GP stay the same, it's a better strategy to wait until closer to the Olympics to return, since it will guarantee him 2 GP's as a former seeded skater in the Olympic or pre-Olympic seasons.

24. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

He really felt he needed to make this announcement? Honestly, I can't see him ever returning. Key line in his announcement "when my schedule permits" If he ever wants to compete the priorities have to changes!

25. REO

REO New Member

Very true but he's Scotty's BFF. :lol: Nor is he American. Canadians are much more appreciative of their skaters as a nation.

26. REO

REO New Member

I agree. And if lucrative opportunities in show biz keep cropping up he'd be a fool to toss them for another 7th place at the Olympics.

27. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Good bye, Johnny!

28. JAF

JAF Well-Known Member

I saw nothing in your post that a skater had to be an American Olympic Champion. I used your words in the quote.
    You changing your post in midstream? Not nice :p

You are delusional if you think Kurt wouldn't be successful without being "Scotty's BBF" :rolleyes: or heaven forbid not Canadian. :)

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Given he's making a decent income of being a Z-list celebrity, I can't imagine him returning to competitive skating.

What for?

Especially given the level of Men at 2011 Worlds. Out of his league.

30. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

When did Sasha or B&A or Weiss win the Olympics?