Johnny Weir selling personal clothing items, some proceeds to charity

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Yazmeen, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Decided to post a separate thread: Per today's Philly Inquirer, Johnny is selling off some of his "costumes" on http://shoplindasstuff.com. A portion goes to charity. However, that's a somewhat inaccurate description: Took a look at the site, seems to more be items from his wardrobe rather than skating costumes. There is a Vancouver 2010 Team Russia jersey there, along with one of his Olympic Team USA jackets. There are 4 skating costumes available on page 10, but they are mostly mostly in the $2000 range. Enjoy!

2. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

And what's the charity? Weir's bank account?

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

He is clearly a devoted fan of Chanel.

5. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

How many pair of sunglasses does one guy need? ;P

Hmm, maybe I do need a pair of discounted designer sunglasses...

6. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

LMFAO! EXACTLY!

7. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

Try the Trevor Project. You've heard of it, I take it? If not, read up. It's a very, very worthy cause.

8. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

A PORTION of the profits will go to the charity. It could be anything, like 5 per cent. It was ridiculous how Johnny tweeted some months ago how he has only $1000 on his bank account and asked people to send money to the linked page. And then pretended that he was hacked, lol. Sorry, I don't trust him.

misskarne and (deleted member) like this.
  9. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

he would probably have more money in his bank account if he wasn't buying all those clothes!

misskarne and (deleted member) like this.
  10. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I guess the question is did he actually buy all that stuff or were they gifts?? I don't understand how someone with limited funds can purchase stuff like that and give the impression they are a struggling athlete in need of support.

I also never support a fundraising where an undisclosed portion goes to charity. I want to know what percentage and where the rest goes. When I give to charity I want as much as possible to go there. When I need to clean out my closet I give the overflow to diabetes, epilepsy and those that have thrift stores to sell donations.

11. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

That webshop also promotes him as a World Champion figure skater?!?

12. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I do know that a lot stuff was given to Johnny as gifts by fans, mainly from Japan

you can always contact the charity to find out exactly how much of the portion they will get and how much goes to the lady selling the items for Johnny.

13. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

LOL - Johnny is certainly not the first person to sell his unwanted stuff on eBay. If you like it, buy it; if you don't, don't, but to listen to some of you, you'd think he was committing some type of crime. :rolleyes:

AJ Skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

No, but most people selling on Ebay don't try to pass it off as "a portion" going to charity. It's generally pretty clear "it's going to my bank account" LOL! it's not the selling folks are whining about it's the potential "false advertising"

T

15. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Do you have proof ?

16. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

it really is the typical gay lifestyle - especially here in NYC... spending FAR more money than what is being earned so that one can appear FABULOUS and A List... In reality , there is a mountain of debt behind all of it.. What comes next , I have seen far too often....

17. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Johnny certainly has the right to sell his stuff and donate some of the money to charity. I see no false advertising there.

18. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Jeez, what an indictment. :rolleyes: As judiz queried, "Where's your proof?" I guess anything you can possibly critique Johnny and "typical gay lifestyle" about in a negative way makes you feel better about yourself.

If you know so much about "typical gay lifestyle especially in NYC, ... mountains of debt," and "what comes next" that you've "seen far too often," why not try writing and selling a screenplay. Might help clear up the "mountains of debt" you seem to be so intimately familiar with.

19. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I don't doubt that a portion of the revenue from the sales will actually end up going to The Trevor Project, as Johnny has done a lot of generous work for groups like this. But I do think it would give this fundraiser a stronger perception of legitimacy if the size of the portion was stated upfront, rather than people having to contact the group to find out for themselves.

20. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Also in the listing - a pair of used figure skates!

I guess it intended for collection, not to be skated in. The current listing barely says anything about sizing and condition, lol!

21. aftershocks

Hmmm, anyone who is actually planning to bid on an item who is deeply concerned about "portion" allotments can certainly inquire before bidding, or defer from bidding, or gape curiously, desirously, deliriously, wistfully, jealously, disapprovingly, or prudishly at the ten pages of items, or NONE of the aforementioned.

Whatever monies are donated to the charity will surely be welcomed and put to good use. And those who have enough money to bid, especially on some of the more expensive items are likely to have an interest in Johnny and his skating career, as well as a desire to spend money on the items, assist Johnny and benefit his charity. Those who have an interest in finding fault and worrying about "legitimacy" should probably nitpick elsewhere.

22. overedge

Amazing how you can take a supportive suggestion and read it as an anti-Johnny criticism.

Maybe there are potential buyers who will become actual buyers, as opposed to just looky-loos, if they know how much of their money is going to go to the charity. People might actually spend more if they know what that portion is and want to make sure that the charity gets a certain amount of $$$.

Did I say they wouldn't?

Did I say they wouldn't?

And those who interpret absolutely everything associated with Johnny as perfect and flawless should probably be posting on a Johnny fan board instead of a general discussion board.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  23. aftershocks

You seem rather defensive overedge. I wasn't referring exclusively to your post, despite mentioning your reference to "legitimacy."

Likely the only thing "perfect" and "flawless" about Johnny Weir is his facial skin, as per Tim Goebel's recent comments in Jenny's & Dave's Skating Lesson Podcast. :lol: Johnny's triple axel and most of his effortless-looking jump landings back at his peak were definitely textbook and "flawless." As far as Johnny himself, and especially "yours truly," nada perfecto (or vice versa ;)). Who is?

24. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Would you actively boycott an event that you would be otherwise interested in, if they said an undisclosed portion goes to charity?

I mean, you could always donate to the charity directly. I don't really understand the furor over being "hoodwinked" by a fundraising event.

If Johnny has things he wants to sell, I don't begrudge him for making a bit of money. True, he runs the risk of being seen as "desperate" if he sells his possessions on ebay, but that's his choice. And if he's clearing out his closets and downsizing his material possessions, then good for him.

Hopefully he doesn't end up like my aunt, who downsized to a smaller house and got rid of a lot of stuff from her shopoholic tendencies, only to fill up the new house with more stuff. :lol: But it is what it is.

25. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Hey, Alf and Johnny seem to be the same size. Maybe I can use this opportunity to make him FABULOUS. :psoty:

26. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Johnny and his husband live in a small two bedroom apartment in New Jersey, chances are there is limited closet space and rather than pay to put stuff in storage, this was a good opportunity for Johnny clean his closets, give his fans a chance to own something that belonged to him and in the process help raise money for a good cause.

27. overedge

So you just randomly happened to post your comments a few minutes after I did, but you weren't referring to my post. Nice try, but it's not working.

Well, judging by the number of critical remarks you have ever made on anything involving him, which is also pretty close to "nada" - plus your predictable flying off the handle and foaming at the mouth at any posts you see as critical of him - you apparently are convinced he is.

28. aftershocks

^^ Obviously, I was referring to your post, overedgy, just not exclusively, as I said.

:yawn: As I've probably said for the umpteenth time, there are way more than enough criticisms of Johnny here on FSU, so I tend to avoid piling on. But I've certainly made some "critical" comments about Johnny, believe it or not. In any case, I didn't realize it was a contest, or that anyone has been spending time counting.

Anyway, :blah: I'm not interested in winning any awards for the Most Critical Comments Made About Johnny Weir on FSU, or indeed for Fewest Critical Comments Made About Johnny Weir on FSU. I do plead guilty to having a less "flying off the handle, foaming at the mouth" view of Johnny Weir than the usual FSU suspects do. :p

29. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

:blah:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We should introduce a new FSU rule: posters particularly liking one skater, have to post some negative remarks on them to prove they don’t think she/he is perfect, otherwise they won’t be taken serious any longer! Draft pattern:

Fan of X: "I have to step in for X, but please notice IMO he has the following weak sides:
    1.) ……………
    2.) ……………
    3.) ……………"

This board can be so funny at times! :lol:

Coming back to topic, like many others, I’d be interested in the portion of money going to charity as well (if anyone finds out, please post). However, it’s certainly better to give SOME amount to charity than NOTHING. So :respec: Johnny!

30. overedge

"Less"? BWAHAHAHA. You just keep telling yourself that, OK?