Johnny Wei'r Retirement Statement

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by jackson, Oct 24, 2013.

1. jackson

jackson New Member

2. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM New Member

Classy stuff! Best of luck to Johnny Weir in his new endeavors.
  3. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

4. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

Hands down the best retirement I have read....and thank you Johnny for the great memories too!!!
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  5. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Wow, very sentimental! Not a surprising announcement though.
  6. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I had tears in my eyes reading this. It's so eloquently stated, humble, and uplifting at the same time. Johnny really is a fitting replacement for Mr. Button. I can't wait to see him start his journey on
    American television, the next chapter in his life. :)

And I love that Johnny is also a believer in magic, special moments, dreams, et al. It reminds me of a favorite quote ~ "Only as high as I reach can I grow, Only as far as I seek can I go, Only as deep as I look can I see, Only as much as I dream can I be."

Also kudos to Johnny for taking his mother along on their journey across the world, what a wonderful wonderful son he must be. This brought to mind actress Kim Basinger, whom always said her mom missed out on so much; she would've loved to have taken her mother with her on her journey, but her mom was too jealous and bitter of her own daughter. Whereas the opposite is true of Johnny & his mother. :)
  7. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Great from Johnny. Have missed his skating and will continue to miss it.
  9. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Every so often I get reminded why I hate ESPN so much. Was eating dinner last night in a local restaurant and saw the "ticker" at the bottom of the screen note that Johnny had retired.

Followed by: "Failed to win a medal in 2 Olympics." :mad:

I presume the neanderthals there were too stupid to spell "3 time National Champion, World Bronze Medalist."

Have I mentioned I really hate ESPN?????
  10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

That is so ridiculous. 5th and 6th are pretty darn good. GETTING to 2 Olympics is pretty darn good.

Does this attitude exist in other countries? Who cares what kind of career he had, no Olympic medal, no good. If he got one, they'd be on him for it not being Gold.
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. mjames

mjames New Member

:saint:
    Agree...
    To be on two Olympic teams and be a contender for a medal from a country as deep as the United States..... better than darn good...more like better than most. Bravo Johnny....fly free and soar!
  12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Couldn't read it. 'Stack overflow' kept popping up. My work computer is in top shape. This should not have happened (not on my home computer either, but I will try there tonight).

I am a big Johnny Weir fan. I loved his skating- saw it live multiple times.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

What a beautiful & loving tribute to his family, his coaches, his friends & his fans. Thank you Johnny for the many years of pleasure & beauty you have given to me throughout your career. Best of luck in all your future endeavors.
  14. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I got "stack overflow" too. I just clicked ok. Then I could read it after clicking on the X when the ad came up.
  15. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Absolutely ridiculous. Should Kurt Browning's career be summed up in the same way? :mad:

On another note, a couple of months ago Johnny said he was skating in a show in St. Petersburg this month. Did he? I only ask because I haven't heard anything about it lately.
  16. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Sentimental soppy self-indulgence IMO but I've never been a fan. I hope he finds peace and happiness and continues to skate for his fans.
  17. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Yes, it does exist. Actually in some countries it's even worse, you won't be allowed to GO unless you have a good shot at that medal.

(And Kurt's career was summed up like this by media here's an example. http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categori...to-the-podium/kurt-browning-sorry-canada.html I actually think it was worse for Kurt since he had those World Championships leading up to that)
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  18. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

In the comments section of a New York Times online article about Johnny, someone wrote he was denied a visa but who knows if that's true? The article says Johnny plans to tour Russia after the Olympics with Plushenko.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/24/sports/outspoken-weir-will-be-quiet-on-russian-law.html?_r=0 …
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  19. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Yes. Plushy invited Johnny in spring of 2013 too, but Plush got injured in ECH, and the whole tour was canceled. Plushy said in a recently interview in Eurosport, in spring of 2014 he plans 40 shows in whole Russia. Probably he invited Johnny again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EOjxYaW8cw
  20. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Beautiful writing. I look forward to seeing where he goes from here.
  21. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Innit?
  22. RickInSanJose

RickInSanJose New Member

A beautiful and eloquent piece of writing. May Johnny's future Chapters be just as exciting and fulfilling for him.
  23. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

:yikes: :scream:

Like this?

24. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl New Member

Johnny is not a professional writer and shouldn't be held to professional writing standards. Yes, he uses some cliches and trite phrases, but overall I think his article is beautifully expressed. Very thoughtful and heartfelt. A lot of love there--for family and skating.
  25. SueSue

SueSue Active Member

One of the the best and most memorable things Johnny has uttered in his dance with the media. I have tears in my eyes too. Thanks for the memories Johnny.