Johnny Weir news, quotes and articles - v.3

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Lexxandra, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl New Member

And you guys come across like bullies (toward me, not Weir) who take the lowest road possible. That is, you engage in personal attacks when you don't agree with someone else's opinion. So here you are insulting my intelligence by suggesting that I might be "irretrievably obtuse." Unless I resort to "clever" insults, you will conclude that I'm not as bright or quick as you are.

Here's a news flash. I know very well that Johnny Weir has flaws. But I have also observed that there is an imbalance of negativity toward him. It's why I responded in to posts about, of all things, his hairstyle, which I didn't even like either. It was like, "Okay, here we go again." But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's just that the overall tone of this board, and it's not just toward Johnny Weir.

And I'm not sure whether I'm the one lacking humor. I think a lot of what he says is with a wink and a smile, but it's not always clear that people who are responding to him understand that. I actually find people's responses to Johnny fascinating (and frustrating). Of course he's not perfect (nowhere near), but he's not the obnoxious diva people seem to think he is, either. The response to his book was very simplistic, from people who hadn't even read it yet. What was that? It would be interesting to talk about that--- people's views of Johnny Weir and where they come from. But I'm not sure any of us has the patience to do that on this board.

I can totally see how a lot of you might be fans of Weir, though he never seems to come up in threads about favorite skaters, and I haven't seen much praise about his skating. Not that he has to be everyone's favorite, but he just doesn't seem to get the praise that other top skaters get. You're right, though-- I haven't been reading this board very long.

I do know that Johnny Weir does not need me to defend him.

Take your own advice and relax. I'm going to stop responding to these posts with irritation or anger, and I hope you do the same.

Okay, go ahead and flame me. :)

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Justathoughtabl

Back to news about Johnny Weir:

He has announced that he won't be competing in the upcoming season.

I don't think this is surprising, given all of his outside projects. I had my doubts about whether he could come back, since he hasn't been able to do a quad consistently.

He hasn't closed the door on competing in the future. I think he might be having trouble walking away, like so many other athletes. Whatever he decides, I hope he continues to skate in shows for years to come.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

4. REO

REO New Member

He sounds serious about coming back but I wonder if he'll be able to. I would think it would be awfully hard to give up all the outside projects and opportunities to go back into his cocoon. $$$ I'd love to see him compete but I'm not sure it's the right decision in view of the rest of his life.

5. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Oh good. Now that he's not going to compete he'll have time to go wrestle with the DMV and get Jersey plates on that shitwagon of his. I bet he doesn't have a Jersey driver's license, either. Cheap bastard.

6. REO

REO New Member

LOL This is the second time you posted about this. Did he almost kill you? He admits he's a lousy driver.

7. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

It's a sore subject with NJ residents: many people live in NJ, but register their cars out of state so they pay lower insurance rates. That means those who do register in state pay even higher rates because there are fewer vehicles in the pool. If they're high risk, they'd be contributing even more, but they're not.

After all this time of living in NJ, he should 'fess up and visit the DMV to get a license and registration. Then again, so should all the people who cruise the Parkway and Turnpike daily with North Carolina and Georgia plates. (Many of whom drive through the tunnels into NYC, making it a three-way split!)

However, if he is a bad driver, it's just as well he's not in the NJ resident pool.
    If he gets tickets/has accidents frequently, they're being attributed to whereever the car is registered.

I did like the original post - very witty and sarcastic.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  8. Justathoughtabl

9. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

10. REO

REO New Member

I said way back after Vancouver that since Johnny was the most prominent in the public eye that in a couple years people who were not avid skating fans would think he won. I guess it didn't even take a few years. LOL

11. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I notice, though, that he didn't seem to correct the interviewer who called him a "seasoned Olympic medalist".

12. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

That wouldn't be the first time, but maybe that's his idea of being polite.

13. Justathoughtabl

To me, that says more about the interviewer. He didn't do his homework.

14. REO

REO New Member

He probably didn't even notice it. What is a "seasoned medalist"? Well maybe Plushy. lol Just a misspeak by the interviewer. They should have corrected it before they printed it though.

15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

In fairness to Johnny, it's possible that the questions that were asked verbally were different than what was eventually written down. It's also possible that an editor rephrased the questions too.

The line that had me :lol: was:

16. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Weir doesn't handle interviews well at all. His alleged publicist should have addressed that weakness a long time ago. Most nervous people won't correct someone who addresses them by the wrong title simply because they're not listening.

Not making excuses for him, just pointing out the truth. I once had the mom of a student call me "professor" in passing. I didn't comment on it because we were talking about the damage her daughter caused to my car in an accident. She flipped out later when she found out I was "just" an adjunct. Like that invalidated the damage to the car's front end. Schmuck.

Titles really are meaningless. If it bothers you, ask the publisher to print a retraction.

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

And don't forget this little boo boo too!

http://www.showbizdeluxe.com/about.htm :rofl:

Anyway, I just did a little checking and it appears this is little more than a fan blog by a guy who also has a similar one called Country Stars Central. It's legit, but certainly not of journalistic quality, and there's no evidence of reach at all. If we are questioning publicists, I have to wonder whatever happened to the concept of vetting interview requests.

18. Justathoughtabl

I still think that overall, the interview was no worse than one that might appear in a newspaper, though that says something about newspaper quality. Anyway, here are the interviews this blogger has snagged. Not A-List (except maybe Carol Channing--Costner is not exactly big-time anymore), but subjects include one Evan Lysacek.

Carol Channing Interview

Diana DeGarmo Interview

Evan Lysacek Interview

Johnny Weir Interview

Kevin Costner Interview

19. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Which goes back to his publicist, imo. Either he's too headstrong and "out there" to listen to her or she's not effective as a manager/publicist. I cringe whenever I see that Johnny's done an interview or been quoted. I know he doesn't know what to do or say and she doesn't act as a guide or buffer.

20. Justathoughtabl

Wait, what?
    I think Johnny is one of the better interview subjects out there, at least in terms of athletes. So many of them give canned answers. It's the provocative ones-- the Charles Barkleys and Muhammad Alis--that are remembered. Johnny's quite articulate and funny as well.

21. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I disagree with his being one of the better interview subjects. He puts his foot in his mouth regularly and comes across as unprepared. His on-camera confrontation with Peter Caruthers (who's a terrible interviewer, imo) made me realize that Johnny does not do interviews well, especially with someone who isn't a supporter of his. In situations like that, canned responses are better than outbursts and failed diversions.

Memorable? Meh. Not really. I rarely read interviews with him anyway. To his fans, yes.

IMO, he only interviews well if the interviewer is sympathetic or a fan and plays it safe with the questions.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  22. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

Like him or not, you have to admit that Johnny has managed to garner a lot of attention from skating fans and people who don't pay much attention to the sport. I don't like everything he says, but I will say that he's created interest and fascination from the interviews he's given and things he's done. He's also been a subject in articles and a guest on tv shows an incredible amount of times for someone who placed sixth in men's figure skating. Someone who can do that isn't bad at interviews, in my opinion.

23. REO

REO New Member

I think he's good with the media.
    He's "Sound Byte Weir"! Regardless of any mistakes, he's funny and he goes beyond the "I just try to do my best" dreck. Sometimes he rambles or presses a point too much but I think he does well. Like Rock the Tassel said, he sure gets alot of interview requests for a figure skater who has not held a gold title since 2006.
    As for his publicist reining him in, good luck with that. He's free wheeling. lol

24. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

I agree. I hate it when people write articles, do press releases, or conduct interviews without doing proper research. I remember a press release last year for a skating show that referred to Sasha Cohen as a former World Champion.

The website has now changed the "seasoned Olympic Medalist" reference.

25. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Nobody is disputing that he gets a lot of attention. That has nothing to do with liking him or not. But attention like most of the online comments about his most recent clothing choices.....I'm not sure that sort of attention is what anyone wants to attract.

26. Justathoughtabl

He's gotten a lot of positive attention too.
    And of course, being thought of as "worst dressed" or "crazy dressed" is still good publicity. It worked for Elton John, Freddie Mercury, and countless others. People want to see what the person is wearing.

I want to know about the confrontation with Peter Caruthers that someone mentioned. What happened there? In any case, most of his interviews are quite pleasant. Have you seen the Jeanne Beker one?

27. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

The year after the Olympics was a bad year for Johnny, he really was not skating well and was messing up jumps that use to be so easy for him. After one competition, Peter (who did the commentating for ESPN/ABC) got in Johnny's face and asked him why it was a season of excuses. Johnny raised his voice and hand to Peter and said that unless you walked in his shoes, you really couldn't understand what he was going through. Johnny also used Evan as an example, he said when Evan skates poor everyone blames it on his bad hip but when Johnny has a bad skate, he's accused of making excuses.

28. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Maybe they are referring to Johnny's interview with Peter Caruthers at the 2006 Granf Prix Final:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdrA0w4sTWI

{The Johnny segment starts around 1:57}

29. Justathoughtabl

I had a feeling the incident was from a few years back. I think he's matured a bit since then.

30. REO

REO New Member

I didn't hear him raise his voice or hand to Peter. He was a little snippy and gestured with his hand but he wasn't aggressive to him physically. Judiz you made it sound like he threatened Petey! lol Now if he'd clocked him, THAT would have been an interesting interview.