Johnny Weir news, quotes and articles - v.3

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Lexxandra, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl Active Member

I personally think Johnny and SOI are not a good match, and I think Johnny feels the same way. I think he'd prefer to do shows in Russia and Japan and one-off shows in the U.S. But I will say that in my opinion, "Twittergate" was much worse than anything Johnny has said. I'll also say that Johnny is a great skater, since some people seem to be implying that he's not. Johnny loses his head during competitions, kind of like Jeremy Abbott. But he's capable of amazing, gorgeous skating that has left more than one person breathless. And to those who say he's quadless, put Fred Astaire in an athletic dance contest, and he'd probably lose to Gene Kelly. But he's Fred Astaire and there's no one like him.

2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

They do more group numbers, but it's the off-ice atmosphere that has always made SOI a team, or family. I don't know what it's like now, but in the 90s and into the 2000s, the cast members (and much of the crew) were good friends as well as colleagues. Tara messed up the dynamic and they learned their lesson - and that, IMO, is the number one reason why Johnny was never in SOI.

As for these constant :blah: comparisons of Johnny to Evan, I have to ask why? On the ice when directly competing against each other, sure, but why is it that Johnny fans, and apparently Johnny himself, constantly bring up Evan and his image and his non-competitive career and his clothes and his behaviour and everything else?

If Johnny is supposed to be so unique and one-of-a-kind, shouldn't he be beyond compare to Evan or anyone else?

These same old discussions are so :yawn:

igniculus and (deleted member) like this.
  3. REO

REO New Member

What did Tara do that mesed up the balance? I wasn't arounds then.

4. Justathoughtabl

I don't know who you're referring to here, but as for me, the only reason i brought up Evan was because I don't understand why Johnny seems to be so picked on all the time when other skaters do questionable things (like Evan and Twittergate). I know a little bit about Evan and he's pretty well loved here, and I don't understand why Johnny doesn't get any of that love (aside from a few posters) when both of them (and probably many more skaters) are far from being saints. Johnny is always pulled out as being the trouble maker, the drama queen, the one who is not a team player. But he's just like all the others. He has his good and bad qualities. The constant bashing of Johnny gets old too.

5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Because unlike other skaters, Johnny actively promotes this image.

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Sorry for the double post - IIRC, Tara was added the tour almost automatically, as the new OGM and latest in a long line of American ice princesses. The problem was, she was still very young and AFAIK had a hard time fitting into the well-established SOI family. It sounded like a gulf was created between her and the rest of the cast because on the one hand she wasn't fitting into their little group, and on the other, she was being coddled because she was young and got star treatment as the show's headliner. She ended up bringing a friend on the tour just to keep her company. There were several meltdowns and backstage dramas along the way, and it was a rough time - and it didn't help that it was around the time the post-whack wave was starting to falter and SOI had to start looking at itself critically, when previously it had been relatively smooth sailing for them.

7. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Reality TV didn't exist to the degree it does now when Michelle was big. Plus . . . as much as I love her . . . her personality is way too vanilla for TV.

8. manleywoman

Navarro/Bommentre. THe interview was fine because they were older, at the end of their careers, and both insightful, so they could put perspective on themselves. But after that I just made a blanket decision that I wanted to focus on retired skaters. I just don't think my style of interviewing works well with amateur skaters who are too in the myopia of their day-to-day training to necessarily look at the overall picture and where they fit into the history and progression of the sport. Plus there are plenty of outlets that interview current amateur skaters and do it well. I just know my niche.

9. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Somebody's gotta look out for the old farts! :cheer:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I agree I don't think SOI and Johnny are a good much as well so I'm always left amazed at all the belly-aching some people make about it.

I think he has been a breath taking skater and I would be the first to get tickets if he is ever in a show in the UK.

I think a discussion of quads is pretty much irrelevant at this stage because he's unlikely to compete again.

11. REO

REO New Member

Well I certainly agree that this poor old horse has been beaten to death. AND I agree that Johnny and SOI are a bad match. Certainly at this late date anyway. My problem is just with those who keep saying he would not be cooperative and would try to make the show all about him. Where do they get this stuff? Johnny's "diva-ness" is all about being campy and funny. To compare him and Naomi Campbell, who is actually abusive to people, is really a stretch! He's friends with Plush, Stephane, Dai, Oda, Brian and most of the girls and the list goes on. To me it looks like the Europeans and the Asians think he's fine. It's only a cadre American males who have a wild hair somewhere about him.

12. Justathoughtabl

Johnny just wrote this message to his Japanese fans. I hope it's okay for me to copy it here. http://ameblo.jp/torgappa/

I am very sad that I have to write these words, but it is now a situation where I can't not write them. My heart and my tears are with Japan in this dark hour and I am constantly with you in spirit.

Since my first knowledge of Japan as a child, I have understood that Japan is a nation of strong, intelligent

and orderly people. Having traveled to Japan numerous times now as an adult, I can say that the impression I had of Japan as a child, still remains true. Japan has such a special ability to be the most inviting country in the world, but at the same time so strong as a nation in upholding national culture and tradition. Japan's ability to fight through any circumstance, and her peoples abilities to remain calm and quietly push against any foe to achieve a maximum result are things that I have been inspired by on so many occasions.

Through tragedy, Japan has been able to rise from the ashes like a phoenix, and prove to the world that she is great and powerful and can overcome any obstacle. I believe this historical statement still to be true, even in this time of uncertainty and in a time of apocalypse. I believe that the people of Japan will defeat this natural disaster, and will come out shining, as they always do.

I have never felt the same support and love from any nation, like I do in Japan. For all these years when Japan has rooted for me, lifted me up and given me wings, I have never understood how to say thank you or show you my appreciation, but now I hope this note can lift your spirits, and make you strong. I would never have become who I am without the support of your nation, and I support you full heartedly now.

I will do as much as I possibly can to help from my side of the planet, and I urge everyone in Japan to help your fellow countrymen and foreigners who are in Japan at this time. The world is with you, the world is behind you, and we believe in you.

I am thankful to God as we get word that many of my fans and friends have made it out of this tragedy as survivors, but my heart sinks with every day we don't hear from someone or bad news comes our way.
    Be strong, angels will protect you. "This too shall pass."

Japan I love you, I miss you and I will be with you very soon.

I pray for you every day and I believe in you.

Ganbatte!!!!!

-Johnny

13. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I never said he would be uncooperative and I never said he would try to make the show all about him. I simply said when considering him for being an employee I would hire anyone but him. He's been very public about his dislike of authority and his rebelious nature....that is not someone worth hiring to my mind.

I used Naomi Campbell as an example of someone who seems to nurture her own diva-press and embraces it (a lot like Johnny), but also as an example of someone who has to do her job so much better than her competitors that people still hire her despite the percevied problems, something Johnny, unfortunately for him, has not managed to do in figure skating, but may well manage in other areas.

14. Justathoughtabl

Can you please give a few examples of how Johnny embraces diva-ness? Liking fashion really isn't a valid example. Where Johnny does rebel, he seems to have good reason, and I've never heard of him rebelling on a tour. It's usually against FSU rules about clothing, is it not? Is that such a huge deal?

15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

How about his own stories about the Olympic Village in Vancouver and hotels? IIRC he didn't have very good things to say about Lake Placid, which of course is practically the hometown of SOI.

16. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

How long have you been on here? Evan was pretty well hated from about 2005-2008. For years Evan couldn't do or say anything right; meanwhile everything Johnny said was "honest!" and "refreshing!" You should have been reading the forum after Evan won his first National title in 2007 - Johnny's angels in particular were spitting blood. After Evan won the World title in 2009 a lot of the haters started to shut up (grudging respect?), and his supporters started becoming more vocal. Then I think Evan won over some more people by beating Plush at the Olympics and acquitting himself well on DWTS. But it absolutely was not always this way.

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I don't think the Evan hate started until 2007 when he started to talk about all the sparkles and sequins he disapproved of and that he was going to push the sport by doing the quad no matter what. Of course, then he should up to LA and Vancouver quadless and dressed in Vera Wang. Being a hypocrite is the kiss of death in the public eye.

18. Justathoughtabl

Are there not places in the world that you don't like? Does that make you a diva? Honestly, if I were competing in the Olympics, I'd probably rather stay in a hotel too. More pleasant, more private.

19. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

What was wrong with wearing a costume from Very Wang? There are women who design men clothing lines out there. Besides, it wasn't like Evan was wearing one of her evening gown or wedding dress creation out on the ice.

20. Justathoughtabl

I ahven't been on here for very long, and I guess my assumption was wrong. I saw the Evan thread on here that's very positive, while even a posting of Johnny's message to Japan didn't get a response. All I can conclude from what you say is that people praise the winners and are disdainful of the people who don't win as much. :lol:

21. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Of course, but do I rant about it in public in a tone that suggests I'm accustomed to the finer things in life? Do I go into other peoples' rooms and take their bedding because I like it better?

From what I can see, Johnny actually cultivates the diva image; it's not always a negative thing.

22. REO

REO New Member

I didn't read this forum back in the day but I'm suprised to hear Evan was disliked as far back as '05! I'm a Johnny uber but even I think Evan deserved the title in '07! I could see people being freaked about '08. That was a rather questionable affair. I think most Johnny fans got on Evan's case after he won the '07 title because then he used it as a chance to ever so subtly and sometimes blatantly put Johnny down with all that masculinity XGames crapola. That would have brought me out of the woodwork. It just seemed so phony baloney. I think Evan deserved all his titles except 1. Thank heaven DWTS isn't run by the USFS though or Scherzinger would have been toast. lol

23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Wonderful sentiments; beautifully expressed,
    Another reason to respect and admire Johnny.

24. Justathoughtabl

I think we're each putting our own interpretation on his words. I once stayed in a youth hostel that I referred to as "the roach motel." I'm sure I've stayed at places that I call the "Bates Motel." I see humor in what Johnny says. People put him up in a hotel in Greenwich Village and that just wouldn't do for him. Okay, fine. I guess I didn't think it was a big deal. And because he tells us about these episodes, he opens himself to criticism. As for "taking people's bedding," I didn't read it that way. I interpreted it as going into a supply closet and taking stuff out of there.

I just got out the book. Here's what he wrote:
    "Because I spend so much of my time on the road, there's nothing I hate more than checking into a hotel room and having it feel very foreign. [I know lots of people who feel this way.] I need my home base to have a security-blanket feel in order to withstand the harsh realities of training and competiting. This monastic chamber [room at the Olympic Village in 2006] as it stood would not do as my lodging for the next few weeks.

I walked over to Priscilla's room to check out her living space, but when I arrived she was nowhere to be found. The building was empty since the women's skating team didn't arrive for another week and a half. So I started poking around and a lightbulb went off in my head. I grabbed a bunch of fleece blankets, two lamps, a bedside table, and a few extra towels for good measure. Laden down with my loot, I shimmied across the Olympic Village and into the curling quarters [where he was staying]." Then it says he felt at home and includes a photo of the room, which looks like a dorm room.

Now, where does it say he took those things from people's rooms? I'll agree that he likes nice things. I'll agree that he's very particular. But I think being a diva means being a jerk about it. And I never get that sense from him. He just decides what he wants and takes care of it. A measure of a person is how they treat others, and he seems to treat others very well.

25. REO

REO New Member

Absolutely. He milks it for all it's worth. :D It's mostly a facade though. He's very down to earth in reality - love of luxury items notwithstanding. (Real reality not the tv show. lol)

26. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I wonder if the people who arrived a week and a half later, and might have found their rooms or their supply closets missing items *they* might have needed in their rooms to "have a security-blanket feel in order to withstand the harsh realities of training and competing", would feel that he "seems to treat others very well".

If there were items he wanted in his room that weren't there, he could have, you know, asked. I know from people who volunteered at the Olympics that there were staff in the athlete dorms 24/7 to help the athletes with whatever they might want.

27. manleywoman

Ummm, did you not read the quote you just quoted?

28. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

Yes, like how nicely he treated the skater tht the USFS stuck into his room. He discusses how he stuffed the skater's belongings back into his bags and threw the guy out of the room right after the guy walked out of the shower. There were also the Diva complaints about thee room he was given when he was skating in the show in Sun Valley.

29. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

30. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew