Johnny Weir news, quotes and articles - v.3

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Lexxandra, Mar 11, 2011.

1. feraina

feraina Active Member

Loved Johnny's K&C from the FS! He looked so happy and energized. Really happy for him. Looking forward to him doing even better later in the season!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Yes, I am panicking way too early. I would love to see you proven right!

:lol: Clearly, I have blocked the name out. Not a fan of Leonova. :shuffle:

3. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

Good for Johnny! Perhaps marriage has put him a better place. He seems happy and willing to put in the hard work. I wish him well :).

4. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

5. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

After Weir's unfortunate injury withdrawal from Rostelecom Cup after the SP in Moscow, he was supposed to tape a show about his life and family for a Russian TV channel the following week. He wrote about the upsetting things that subsequently happened to him in his Falls Church (VA) News-Press column (started in mid-October) on Nov. 16: Johnny's World: A Russian Tale, Volume 1

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  6. lulu

lulu New Member

7. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Wow that is just unbelievable. I did wonder how making such a programme might go down when you think about the laws that have been passed in St Petersburg banning any kind of promotion of gay rights/lifestyle. I don't know if Mosocow passed equivalent laws, but isn't Madonna currently involved in legal action for "promoting homosecuality" by giving out pink wrist bands to the audience and encouraging them to to bve waved in the air to shows support for gay rights. Seems Russia is not a good place to try to do good for gay rights at the moment.

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

He sounds so sad :( It must be so hard for him to face that reality in the country he loves so much and has taken as a sort of second home.

9. Sylvia

Husband Victor tweeted on Nov. 17:
    "Watching @JohnnyGWeir create his new free program is super. He WILL skate at NATS in Omaha.Program will shock & delight. Classical Russian"

10. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I received this info in an email today:

NEW DATE/LOCATION - Holiday Dreams on Ice Starring Johnny Weir & Emily Hughes - Dec 16th - Christopher Morley Park

Dear Skaters, Coaches, and Club Members,

We wanted to pass on some updated information - Holiday Dreams on Ice starring Johnny Weir will now be at Christopher Morley Park in Roslyn, NY on SUNDAY DECEMBER 16th at 7pm. We are excited to announce that Emily Hughes will now be skating with us also!

Our original venue - Abe Stark Arena - was severely damage in Hurricane Sandy and will need several months of repairs before it is fully operational. We are extremely thankful to Christopher Morley Park and Nassau County for being able and willing to host our show with such little notice. Due to the change in venue our show is now Sunday December 16th with a rain date of Saturday December 22nd.

11. aftershocks

I came across this link to a news show feature/ interview with Johnny that took place in February 2012 around the time of Johnny's press conference announcing his planned comeback. I found it interesting as I hadn't seen it before. I like how Johnny points out the contradictions in his nature/ personality, and his mentioning that he only tries to represent himself and not the entire gay community. His hair was rad that day! :lol: Plus he and Victor look so good together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=17UWqlO9YE4&feature=endscreen

12. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

13. aftershocks

^^ Seriously! :lol:

Well, but the show's in Japan where I suppose Johnny is effin' "family friendly" unlike in the US of A ... like DUH! :duh:

Japan is where it's at apparently when it comes to figure skating!!! Johnny must have been signed up after his plans to skate at U.S. Nationals fell through. Lucky Japanese fans ...

14. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Jan. 6th is the date of Johnny's appearance on the Food Network Show. Check your local times. It's called Celebrity Cook-Off.

15. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Today Johnny and his husband Victor are celebrating their first wedding anniversary, Yeah Marriage Equality!!!

16. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Wow, that year went by quickly. Congratulations to them and wishing many more!

17. lulu

lulu New Member

Cheers to the happy couple! :cheer:

18. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

19. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

20. aftershocks

Too bad Johnny won't be commentating at U.S. Nationals this year, but I wonder if had he not decided to make a comeback as a skater whether he was going to be asked back anyway. He did a great job, especially once he settled into it and cut down on the over-chattering. I think Johnny was so good that he helped raise the level a bit of Tonia's commentary. However, I don't think there's anything that can help Mike Mancuso. And now we have Michael Weiss to look forward to re the men's coverage. I think the combination of Tonia and the two Mikes is going to be so blah, conventional PC city. But maybe that's what TPTB at IceNetwork want.

If not Johnny commentating, I'd have loved to see Tim Goebel, Paul Wylie, or Rudy Galindo instead covering the men's event. IMO, even Ryan B would be good at the helm (in lieu of Weiss) instead of only being backstage with Ice Desk. I wonder why Peter Carruthers is not listed for covering pairs and Ice Desk duties. Did his contract run out? Tanith does a great job with ice dance and her commentary will be a highlight in Johnny's absence. Sarah Hughes does good analysis (but not so great interviews). Unfortunately, the sound of Hughes' voice is so grating.

21. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Based on Tim's interview in the Skating Lesson podcast, I think he'd make a terrific commentator, but I wonder if his duties as a coach pose a conflict of interest (not sure what level skaters he has). I like Weiss well enough, though - certainly better than Hamilton over on NBC.

22. aftershocks

Well, I agree that Michael Weiss is good (although relatively generic) at commentating and yes, he's definitely better than Scott Hamilton. Perhaps Michael will continue to get better, but so far from what I've hear from him, I haven't found him to provide as great insights as Paul Wylie, Johnny Weir or even Brian B.

Michael is also not quite as witty and entertaining as Johnny (but who is?). Well, maybe Tim Goebel and Rudy Galindo would be if given the opportunity. Granted Rudy is devoting most of his time to coaching these days, plus of course, he will be entering the Hall of Fame in Omaha. I don't think Tim is coaching top level skaters, is he? Paul may no longer be interested in commentating these days. I know Paul and Todd had skaters competing in senior men's event last year, but apparently not this year.

23. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

24. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Johnny Weir's next role: Hidden dragon

Good article, I couldn't help but agree to a large extent with this quote about the men at US Nationals:

25. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

^^ Sounds like Johnny thinks he stands a good chance against the current crop of American skaters? He's a star and his presence will bring lots of attention to figure skating.

Go Johnny go.

26. Sylvia

Aruba vacation promo article: http://www.aruba.com/news/general-n...-johnny-weir-returns-to-aruba-and-the-westin/

Johnny Weir at NYC Fashion Week photo gallery: http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/gallery.jsp?content_id=41668204

Weir was scheduled to perform at Philadelphia's first Winter Pride event and to receive the first-annual Winter Pride Award at Penn's Landing on Friday, February 22: http://www.phillypride.org
    Related article: http://www.epgn.com/pages/editional...en&section_tags=news&section_tag_inclusion=or

27. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

28. Sylvia

29. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Johnny will appear live on Kathy Griffin's talk show this Thursday night at 11:30pm on Bravo.

30. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member