Johnny Weir news, quotes and articles - v.3

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Lexxandra, Mar 11, 2011.

1. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

They're real all right. Years ago, a lot of people used to assume Johnny wore mascara even though he didn't because his eyelashes are so ample. Of course, now he actually does wear mascara on ocasion, but the eyelashes underneath it are all his.

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yes, he's got beautiful eyelashes and gorgeous green eyes. Nice to see Johnny out on the ice competing again!

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

4. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Nice!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I have no problem seeing the video. :confused:

7. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

I got the same message when I clicked on the link without having signed in first. Maybe that's what happened in judiz' case.

8. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

The link just worked for me, turns out I had seen this interview already thanks to Sarah and Drew's twitter

9. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I haven't caught up watching the FS yet, but I watched the SP over the weekend and thought he looked really good. Enormous props for trying the quad in both programmes. It could have been easier to play safe and not try it, and I think it's great he went for it (apparently getting a better attempt in the FS).

I love the costume for the SP, and thought he really came alive when the music went up a notch. Not sure I like the slower/piano opening in the music as much as once the original music kicks in but I guess it give him the opportunity to create a contrast in the SP.

Should be an interesting season, well done Johnny.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  10. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Wow, I loved his free skate!!!! For those of you who are more COP-knowledgeable than I; how do the short and free programs look in regards to maximizing points within the COP system? I have heard criticism in the past that Johnny could and should make his programs more COP-friendly, and of course would love to hear that he's improved in this area (if that is indeed the case and he needed to improve).

He looked beautiful and happy, and some of the moments in this program were gasp-inducing in their beauty.

It's really, really good to have him back. Figure skating as art and sport benefits from his presence, IMO. And, I have new appreciation for his spins, esp. the one-legged, bent over his leg spin; I do something like that in my workouts, and it's not easy (and I'm not spinning, lol!). Well done!

11. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

In terms of COP, the base value of the elements that Johnny performed, in both the SP and FS, were below the minimum TES required for the World Championships. He did not get enough +GOE to bump him up to meet the World Championship TES minimum. (TES minimums for WC are SP: 35,FS: 65). The level one step sequence and too many double jumps hurt his base value.

12. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

If Johnny skates his program without any mistakes, what kind of base value do his programs have?

13. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

It's hard to say because we don't know what levels for spins and steps his program as choreographed is targeting, but we can look at what he skated and guess.

Finlandia - Element / Base Value
    4T < / 7.2
    3A / 8.5
    3F e / 5.3
    StSq1 / 1.8
    FCSp4 / 3.2
    2Lo x / 1.98
    3A-2T x / 10.78
    2Lz x / 2.31
    3Lz<-2T x / 6.05
    3S x / 4.62
    CSSp1 / 1.9
    ChSq1 / 2.0
    CCoSp4 / 3.5
    Total BV = 59.14

If he optimizes this program, it could be:
    4T / 10.3
    3A / 8.5
    3F / 5.3
    StSq3 / 3.3
    FCSp4 / 3.2
    3Lo x / 5.61
    3A-2T x / 10.78
    3Lz x / 6.60
    3Lz-3T-2T x / 12.54
    3S x / 4.62
    CSSp3 / 2.6
    ChSq1 / 2.0
    CCoSp4 / 3.5
    Total BV = 78.85

There are obviously a lot of "ifs" there, and Johnny will always get an 'e' on his flip, so he'll always get a -3 GOE on that element which will hurt his total score, but in terms of base value, the program is not horrible by any means - it will all depend on how he skates it (which is obviously true for everyone else as well). Hanyu (with a pop) and Dornbush had 81+ and 85+ in BV by comparison, so just comparing to those two (nevermind all the other big guns), Johnny will need to execute flawlessly to be competitive. But that's always been the case with him.

14. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Thanks BittyBug, I think it's safe to assume the steps and spins were suppose to be level 3 or 4 because no on would deliberately choreograph level one anything for a skater at Johnny's level. Johnny had gotten level 3 or 4 on his steps and spins previously so I would like to think it was an abnormality that he did not do those levels in Finland. We know he is capable of doing them and I have to wonder if the fact he was skating in boots that were less than a month old made a difference or not.

15. antmanb

I've just watched the LP, and again I'm impressed - very close on the quad.

I really liked the music too.

Looking at his step sequence, he did appear to do rockers, twizzles, loops and brackets, as well as three turns and mohawks. I wasn't looking specifically for how they were combined and if they checked off the levels, but when i looked at the rules and saw this:

And he did seem to pause for a while simply gliding without doing turns or steps and I wonder if they hit him with this?

Looking at the Sit Spin for levels I think Johnny was going for levels on:

- backward entry;
    - difficult variation;
    - Jumped change of foot;
    - difficult variation.

I think he only got credit for the backward entry. I think the spin was in danger of being short on rotation on both feet - he only managed about 5 turns with his butt low enough to count on the back part, and the front part was just about 6 revs.

I think he needs to rethink the position he hits in the first spin (and make sure it is different enough to the one in the combination spin that follows to make sure he still gets credit for the position in the combination spin).

The jumped change of foot needs to be bigger to count as it seemed more stepped, than jumped. Though the rules seem to suggest that you have to be in a basic position and jump into another basic position, and I wonder if the forward sit with the leg behind is seen as a basic position or a non-basic position? I can't see why the forward sit wasn't called a difficult variation?

In any event - I think the spin can be easily worked up to level 3 or 4 without too much trouble.

16. Lexxandra

Lexxandra Active Member

You forgot the third combo. I changed jumps according to his planned content for FS in Finland, and got this:

4T+2T / 11.6
    3A / 8.5
    3F / 5.3
    StSq3 / 3.3
    FCSp4 / 3.2
    3Lo x / 5.61
    3A+3T+2Lo x / 15.84
    3Lz+2T x / 8.03
    3Lz x / 6.60
    3S x / 4.62
    CSSp3 / 2.6
    ChSq1 / 2.0
    CCoSp4 / 3.5
    Total BV = 80.70

17. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Oops. :lol:

As far as the other two are concerned, you get to the same point total doing the 3T with the lutz as with the axel, so I'm not sure why he would ever put it with the axel as the lutz is his best jump. I guess if he plans it earlier he'd have a 2nd chance if something happens with the axel and he can get the 3T in.

18. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  19. aftershocks

^^ Re that link, don't they mean "Weir raring to get back ..."

From the Evan comeback thread:

I know it makes no difference in the minds of many, but Johnny was out of favor politically with the U.S. practically his entire career. So how do you think international judges were going to generally treat him? They weren&#8217;t always fair because Johnny wasn&#8217;t always favorably promoted or advocated for by his fed! Of course Johnny also failed himself sometimes too (particularly in his 2006 Olympics fp &#8211; altho&#8217; his sp will forever remain iconic). Johnny&#8217;s failures IMO tended to go against him in a way that was so much worse than how his competitors&#8217; mistakes were viewed.

In any case, no matter how well Johnny performed at 2010 Olympics, the international judges obviously had him pegged for 6th place. It was a travesty for Johnny to be placed behind both Chan and Lambiel at 2010 Olympics!!! Part of the bad rap for Johnny in that Olympics was his having responded to the media re the Inman &#8220;transitions&#8221; email. Johnny skated on a par with both Evan and Dai, IMO, and he also skated better than Plush at 2010 Olympics. When they think of Johnny, some people just honestly can't get past their personal prejudices toward him re his persona, his mouth, his sexual orientation, his rebelliousness, his costumes, his fur, his nerve to rock who he is in everyone's face. The famous &#8220;gender&#8221; comments by Canadian broadcasters during 2010 Olympics actually enhanced Johnny&#8217;s international reputation publicity-wise, because of how kickin&#8217; genuinely he responded. It has been Johnny's post-2010 success beyond the skating world that has largely allowed him to be welcomed back. "If you can't ignore him, well bring him back into the fold. If nothing else, he sells tickets and brings buzz." Remains to be seen if Johnny will be able to perform at the level he needs to in order to be on the Worlds and Olympic teams once again. But there's no denying Johnny is going to continue competing this season and be competitive. He's giving it his all, and if his all this time isn't good enough, I don't think he will have any regrets about coming back. He's aiming for Sochi like everyone else.

Let's also be clear: Johnny performed much better than Evan at 2010 U.S. Nationals, particularly in the sp, but he was placed behind Evan, just because Evan was their guy. So, even tho' Evan made a mistake in the sp, he was placed ahead of Johnny. The USFS would even have preferred to send Ryan as the third guy to the 2010 Olympics but they couldn't go that far since Johnny skated better in both sp and fp, plus Johnny's a former 3-time U.S. champion and a former World bronze medalist, and Ryan had flubbed his sp. Also 2008 Nationals men's results were controversial, because Johnny should have won. No question. Unfortunately with the great programs Jeremy had at 2010 Nationals, he failed to bring his A-game to the Olympics. The U.S. probably thought Evan and Jeremy would be in the top five at the Olympics, and they didn't care where Johnny placed.

New season, new politics? Certainly if Evan performs cleanly at U.S. Nats and Worlds in 2013 and lands quads, he will have the edge as the returning Olympic gold medalist (rep, glory, and all that). I wish everyone well, no matter who wins the two spots on the Worlds team. Fingers-crossed whoever goes brings back 3 spots.

20. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I don't think Johnny's Poker Face SP is going to win any favor with the international judges. It seems more like an exhibition number similar to Rudy's YMCA routine then something to be taken seriously at an Olympic level athletic event.

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I will say that while I adore Johnny's skating and this is his first foray into the season, I am somewhat discouraged. I know, I know. It's still very early on and he will build on this.

However, a few things. While his trademark fluidity of movement above the blade is still present, it's present only some of the time. He is noticeably stiffer and less stretched out--his line suffers (it's still very good but not as good as before). I also find the fluidity of the blade itself not quite as "liquidy" as before. This will hopefully improve.

I love the FS music while it's Chopin but when it switches to that techno melodramatic Russian warhorse (did Irina skate to this or was it Leonova or both?) It makes me :scream: and :wall:.

The shaky jumps are self-evident and will likely improve. I hope to be able to form a better impression as the season progresses.

22. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I'm hoping the problems Johnny had at Finlandia were due to the problems with his new boots, how long does it usually take for a skater to fully break in a new pair of boots?

23. aftershocks

^^ Yes, could be he's having a few problems adjusting to the new boots. I don't feel Johnny has lost any of his smoothness and artistry, but his body has matured so he does look different from the former 19 - 24 yr old Swan/ Fallen Angel. It has surely not been easy for Johnny to get back into fighting shape, so kudos to him! He is still in his twenties, and like he says, he still has a comparatively "young" skaters' body due to having not started skating until the age of 12.

As far as any stiffness, I think that may be more apparent as he goes into and comes out of jumps, and some of that along with the apparent "lack of fluidity" of the blade IceAlisa mentioned, IMO may be more related to his "tampered with" jump technique which I feel began to suffer/ show up during 2008 - 2009 season, under Galina's tutelage. Johnny is nothing if not loyal tho' to the people he loves.

Hopefully, as Johnny adjusts to the new boots and continues to train, he will regain "blade fluidity." Sure it is a contrast to look back at how effortless and easy his jumps looked circa 2004 - 2007, but again, time passes and his gifts are still wonderful, and I appreciate the hard work and effort he's putting into his comeback. :saint:

24. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

It varies depending on each skater. Some needs more than two-three weeks, and for some a week would be enough.

I believe Johnny would have no problem getting back on his feet. That SP in FT was just breath-taking!

25. antmanb

I've rewatched the programmes a bit over the weekend and I know what you mean. I think i'm putting it down to it being really early in the season and him getting back into competition and being nervous. It's hard to tell off the you-tube vids but he didn't seem to be as fast as he was, but again, conditioning etc will improve as the season develops.

I think you mean when it gets to Requiem For A Dream. Leonova skated to it in the second half of her LP last year. It is my guilty pleasure - I love that music and don't care how many skaters skate to it, I love hearing it :lol: and love Leonova's programmes last year :shuffle:

26. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I think we need to see how Johnny does in his next competition before his comeback is written off as unsuccessful. I think everyone would agree it's not fair to judge by one competition.

27. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

28. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Chicken fingers and Chablis...:) It's nice to see him back.

29. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

30. aftershocks

Yay, Johnny! :cheer:

I've always loved the way Johnny tells it like it is:

Another revealing quote is found in the rearin'/ rarin' article from goldenskate.com: