Johnny Weir news, quotes and articles - v.3

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Lexxandra, Mar 11, 2011.

1. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

2. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

4. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

The mainstream media can't comprehend the concept of amateur sports. If your sport it's your main activity, then you're "professional." It's probably the same everywhere, I've seen several skaters with "professional figure skater" in their twitter bios (Volosozhar, Gede@%#*ili).

Come to think of it, maybe the Russians could consider themselves "professional" since they actually get salaries from the government, right? (or maybe that was in a movie :confused: )

5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

But is there really any doubt he's coming back? He obviously fully intends to be back out there on the ice competing. It will be interesting to see how he fares both on the ice and in the judges' marks. Whatever, ... I can't wait to see him back out there. A dream come true for his most ardent, long-time fans, I'm sure.

:lol: at the "skating professionally" mischaracterization in the blog bio. The fact Johnny has only been skating and competing since the age of 12 is amazing enough, IMO. I think the fact that he competed as an equestrian athlete since a much younger age actually helped his skating. Altho' competitively/ psychologically as a figure skater he self-admittedly was not very strong. It took him awhile to conquer the competitive mindset.

6. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

In theory, there is no doubt, but life has taught me to take the "believe it when I see it" approach. :D I'll be completely sure that he's back when he's skating his SP at Rostelecom Cup. :lol:

I don't want to get my hopes up, but I'd love to see him back and do well.

7. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Thanks, but I don't really need an explanation of how the mainstream media works. And I think that most people know about the distinction between "amateur" and "professional" in terms of how it affects an athlete's ability to participate in an event like the Olympics or a world championships.

Since Johnny's name is on the column, and I assume he is actually writing it, I would think he would want his description to accurately reflect his accomplishments.

8. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

Oh, I misunderstood your comment. My weak grasp of the language attacks again! :yikes:

I disagree that most people, at least people who aren't really into an amateur sport, actually know the difference. Going by twitter and comments on mainstream blogs, it seems people consider an amateur athlete as someone who's not serious or good at their sport, while professionals are the good ones. :confused:

Anyway, do you think Johnny does anything other than email them what he writes? I doubt it. It's People magazine, just a fun gig.

I can't wait to read Johnny's comments about the new Bond girl! :lol:

9. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

Thank you for the pics/updates, HisWeirness, judiz, PinkFeathers, and crankyintheAM. I can't wait to see Johnny back on competitive ice!!!

10. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, most people I know, some of whom are casual spectators of FS, consider amateur figure skaters professionals. not sure what it's like for other people here.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. PinkFeathers

Tweeted today:

12. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

Same, and it's that way with the media too. That's what I was trying to say, sorta. But I get tangled in my own words :lol:

Finally! :respec:

:watch:

13. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

14. aftershocks

Do you have a link to the entire article or can you provide excerpts or quotes from Brezina? Thanks in advance ...

15. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

http://www.ifsmagazine.com/issues/201208

But you need a subscription.

I hope I made this short enough that I won't break the rules:

16. aftershocks

^^ :cool: Thanks. :) No, I don't have a subscription. :(

17. PinkFeathers

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

20. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

21. aftershocks

22. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Johnny's Poker Face is looking good. Great comeback!

23. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Major kudos to Johnny for doing the quad in his short program.

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

He sure does have that flair and clarity of movement even though he is still rather shaky. Just wish I could get excited about his music choice.

25. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I'm not a Gaga fan either. Fortunately, the music for his free is better.

26. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

^^^ I'm just a little bored of the Poker Face music. it seems like he has been skating to it forever.

Other than that, a really good first outing for the season. I think he proved many wrong by just showing up. Good attempt with the quad.

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Pardon my out-of-the-loopness, but what is his free skate music?

Just clicked through his Next magazine shoot. He does have amazing eyelashes, assuming they are real. :shuffle:

28. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

A medley of Sarabande, a Chopin nocturne (Op. 9, No. 2), and Requiem for a Dream.

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That's what I am talking about! Thanks for the info. :)

30. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Props. :respec: I was expecting half of the choreography in that program to not be there, I was expecting way more gimmicks, way more :wall:, but dare I say he actually kind of pulls this wacky program off and it's kind of potentially very very good.. I absolutely love that footwork sequence, and his spins to me look way more interesting and innovative than they did the last time he was competing. Hope he makes it to worlds, his comeback was for real and I think he looks pretty darn good!