Johnny Weir news, quotes and articles - v.3

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Lexxandra, Mar 11, 2011.

1. psycho

psycho New Member

:lol::lol::lol: Your conviction in your own omniscience and righteousness reminds me of Aubrey O'Day from a recent installment of Celebrity Apprentice. Check it out, you have a kindred spirit out there!

Aftershocks
    , I applaud you for still, after all this time, doing your best to keep every Johnny thread from becoming a cesspool! :respec:

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

It's not "omniscience" and "righteousness" to cite facts. And the fact is that Johnny said what I have quoted him as saying. Sorry if you can't deal with that.

It was a cesspool long before now.

3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

When the subject is Johnny Weir, overedge, I think it's quite obvious that you are one of the "don't love him" peeps who "can't deal."

Yes, another one of your true facts, which btw, doesn't contradict either me, psycho, or Johnny. :p

Thanks for the info, Pink Feathers, about Johnny and Gracie.

Good to hear from you, psycho!

4. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

5. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

What do you think of making this into a short program?;)

I'm with you, manleywoman. I just love Johnny and really want to see programs that show off the run of his edge, the cleanness of his turns, and his exquisite carriage and line (along with a better jump layout). More intricate and difficult choreography will not only up his transition and choreography scores, but could also help him gain points in skating skills ('multi directional skating', 'mastery of one-foot skating' and even 'cleanness and sureness of deep edges, steps and turns') along with P/E (namely for 'variety and contrast' and 'clarity of movement') and could even help him capture the style, mood, and nuances of the program and music. I would love to see a spiral as a transition, for instance (utilizes his edges and accentuates his line and is performed on one foot...he used to do one into his lutz, I believe). Also, a difficult entry into a jump (counter or rocker, for example) would also up his GOEs.

I really can't wait to get more news about his new programs. I kinda want to see him work with Sebastien Britten. In any case, I, like others, am happy to see him back in competitive skating. and thank you to PinkFeathers and everyone else who has provided links and news. I love that we have this thread to discuss Johnny:)

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  6. Bournekraatzfan

7. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I love Johnny's skating-a lot. But if he comes back, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Johnny-find some music that doesn't put me into a black hole of depression or totally to sleep!!! I can't remember the last time I listened to the music while Johnny skated. I just turn down the volume and have a visually lovely experience sans "music."

But I do hope he returns.

8. PinkFeathers

Johnny just tweeted:

Whee :D

9. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

What song is "Phoenix" and how is it for his fans?

10. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Johnny said he was dedicating his return to skating to his fans and his family

I'm not sure if Johnny is portraying a phoenix in his free skate or if he identifies with one.

a mythical sacred firebird that can be found in the mythologies of the Arabian, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, Chinese, Indians and (according to Sanchuniathon) Phoenicians.
    It is described as a bird with a colorful plumage and a tail of gold and scarlet (or purple, blue, and green according to some legends[which?]). It has a 500 to 1000 year life-cycle, near the end of which it builds itself a nest of twigs that then ignites; both nest and bird burn fiercely and are reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix or phoenix egg arises, reborn anew to live again. The new phoenix is destined to live as long as its old self.
    The Phoenix's ability to be reborn from its own ashes implies that it is immortal, though in some stories the new Phoenix is merely the offspring of the older one. In very few stories they are able to change into people.

11. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

It could be Firebird.

12. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

It could be Disco Firebird. (Okay, not really.)

13. PinkFeathers

Knowing Johnny, it's a mix of songs with "Phoenix" as a theme.

Just no firebird, please :scream:

14. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Firebird sounds about right for "Phoenix." I'm sure it will be thrown in there somewhere.

Johnny's comeback is really exciting me, not going to lie. :cheer:

15. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

I'm also pretty psyched about it. :fan21:

Of course, I have no idea what music will be used in the program, but Johnny + Scriabin could be interesting.

16. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I'm really excited about Johnny's comeback too, it's going to be the highlight of my year :D Very brave of him to comeback after all he said in his book too. He belongs on the ice, it would have been a shame for him to retire. Just hope he comes out with some great music especially for the olympic year.

I'd like to see him skate to a different version of Dr. Zhivago and maybe snowstorm.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  17. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Given past comeback attempts by other skaters, I'm trying not to get too excited, but at the same time, I can't help myself. :D

And when I read that tweet the first thing that came to mind (showing my age) was Sinead O'Connor's Troy. Obviously not suitable for skating, LOL, at least on the eligible level.

18. PinkFeathers

19. Bournekraatzfan

Thank you so much, PinkFeathers! I am so thankful for fan vids!

Wow, I loved the conviction shown in "Fighter," and what a nice lutz! Beautiful spin positions, as always.
    His hair is awesome and I love the Louboutin-esque red soles on Johnny's skates! and even though I am not crazy about the costume (I strongly dislike wrestling unitards), I do appreciate the mesh added to the bottom of the shorts. I also liked the sparkly robe.

His performance to Chopin's Nocturne No. 20 was gorgeous. His footwork was light and musical, and his line and carriage were just lovely. I want him to do something in this vein for one of his competitive programs next season.

The "Batman" number was so much fun! I love when Johnny is kneeling on the ice and looks over his shoulder--great charisma!

I am glad he seems to be enjoying himself so much. I hope the rest of the tour goes well:)

20. PinkFeathers

21. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

it depends on what you wish for. Kat witt's comeback is my all time favorite skating of hers. It's not always about the medals.
    I totally choreoed an entire ex routine to that song in my head!

22. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks so much, Pink Feathers! Love the vids. All long time Johnny fans must be ecstatic that he's finally put together a skating exhibition program to Aguilera's Fighter. Christina was Johnny's favorite singer pre-GaGa days. :) Wonder if Johnny will use Fighter as his next season exhibition? Like many of you, I'm really excited now for Johnny's comeback and for the new season altogether. Lots of fireworks in store. Hope everyone brings their A game.... :cheer:

Today I saw a promo poster for the new Batman movie opening in July (there is a one day marathon of all the Christian Bale Batman movies on July 19 at selected theaters nationwide, for all the Batman fans out there)! I had to laugh re the Batman poster as the word RISE is in big letters behind the shadowy image of Batman. :lol: Yeah, I guess it is a universal theme in any case, whether it be comic book superhero or figure skating past and present. :)

Jealous of all the Asian and Canadian fans (especially Asian) who seem to get all the best skating shows in the world right now!!!

Wanna bet that the "Batman" theme and/ or RISE theme might be used by at least a few skaters this upcoming season? If not literally, then figuratively. Johnny's Phoenix is certainly a figurative example.

Dark Knight Rises .... Yay Johnny!!! Thanks for making your comeback a tribute to your fans, Johnny! I will always looooove YOU!

23. Bournekraatzfan

btw, TahbKa translated a lengthy and interesting interview with Johnny in GSD.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  24. luCN

luCN New Member

It's a long interview from a chinese website,and I think people here may have interest on some informations in it.my english isn't good enough,so I won't translate the whole article,just some tips about figure skating.
    here's the link to the entire interview:http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2012-06-18/18136105777.shtml?bsh_bid=101327229

·he didn't want to compete until he was invited to the American nations,and see the male skater's situation.he think he's still competitive,but he doesn't come back for the medals.
    ·he didn't get well with the American federation,but they support him very much this time.they give him 2 GPs.He think that's because they think he's good to spread figure skating in America
    ·his SP music if from lady gaga,and LP is Phonix.
    ·he and his coach have made SP and LP,just need to add some details in the summer.maybe he'll work with David Wilson on the LP,if they has time.
    ·he will add Quads in both of SP and LP
    ·he have hired Morozov to help him on step sequence
    ·some of the skaters show how difficult figure skating can be,but he growed under the old rules.he want to let everybody think they can skate too.he want to show "smooth" perfomance,not(the opposite)
    ·he won't be a coach or choreographer.he saw his coach got to the rink on 7:30 everyday through the years,wearing coat,shiver with cold.that's not what he wants.he will compete on the Olympics for the 3rd time,and then think what to do next.
    ·now figure skating for him is not a "life-and-death" thing.and his coach also accept that,he has husband,his own thing beside figure skating.so they get on better now.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  25. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

Thank you, LuCN! :)

Getting Morozov to help sounds like a smart idea. Weir seems to be on the right track. I hope he gets to work with Wilson for the LP details or gets some other good choreographer if Wilson isn't available.

26. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Saw a commercial for TLC's Say Yes to the Dress and Johnny is featured shopping wedding dresses with his friend Tara. Yes, he is wearing a wedding gown. It will be shown this Friday, 9 pm.

27. PinkFeathers

28. Nan

Nan Just me

29. PinkFeathers

Uh, what's not awesome about it? Don't tell me you're hung up by the whole 'guy in a dress thing' as really? Give me a break :rolleyes:

30. Nan

Nan Just me

Based on what I asked, that's a real leap in logic.

Guys in wedding dresses have been done several times on this show, I just wanted to know what made this time "awesome."