Johnny Weir news, quotes and articles - v.3

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Lexxandra, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Here's the thread in GSD for the "Fantasy on Ice" shows: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79133

In this 6/23 St. Petersburg, Florida article, Weir mentions that "Be Good Johnny Weir" will be aired on Logo for a second season in November: http://www2.tbo.com/entertainment/e...r-celebrate-st-pete-pride-festival-ar-239349/

2. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

3. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Wow, considering you claim to not want any more arguments, you sure did well speculating about the ways in which I might have criticised him and went on to argue against a point i never made :rofl:

I specifically gave Johnny crap for being "closeted" when he very publically got GLAAD all riled up about his supposed issues with SOI. As a gay person it felt hypocrtical to get a gay rights organisation to fight his battles for him, when he would still not stand up and say he was gay. That was pretty much it. No big deal.

4. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl Active Member

It took Johnny a long time to say "I'm gay," but he never tried to hide either. You could say GLAAD should only support people who identify as LGBT, or you could argue that it should fight homophobia in any form, even if it's against someone who isn't openly gay. I should mention that whether SOI was actually being homophobic is still up for debate, though I think it was GLAAD's perception of homophobia, and not Johnny's. I don't want to stir the pot on this argument, though, as I hope it's pretty much simmered down.

In other news, Johnny has become more vocal about LGBT issues lately, and I think better late than never, although he never had any obligation to be an activist. Tonight he's appearing at the Trevor Project fundraiser.

http://www.thetrevorproject.org/trevorlive

5. REO

REO New Member

That is a point well taken. I can totally see where you're coming from. I always thought though, that he refused to actually say the words during his competitive career from a fear of being judged unfairly. As long as he never said those three little words there was always the wiggle room that he was just a very artistic soul with a flair for "out there" costuming. Lord knows he never really tried to hide his real self. And my theory could be a total crock too but everyone handles it differently. He's a very complex person. Mr Grand Marshall is certainly embracing the three little words these days. :lol:

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Not sure I agree. Johnny seems to me a bit of a tease - revealing some but not all, dropping tidbits here and there that make people speculate (I'm thinking of his references to drug use for example). His right of course, and while it may have been in response to the constant scrutiny, it may have also been an effort to generate constant scrutiny.

Would this affect how he's judged? I don't think so. If it was well-known in the skating world the whole time, what difference does it make if he makes it official? It's not like it's going to damage the sport, because non-fans think most of the men in skating must be gay anyway.

If anything, I think his days in the closet - with the door wide open apparently - only served to annoy people like the USFSA in the context of his ongoing quest to be different and refusal to play along with the rest of them. If I were the USFSA, I'd have zero problem with Johnny's sexuality - it would be everything else that he did or might have done making me worry about the image of the organization and sport.

7. Justathoughtabl

What were the drug references, besides the descriptions of skating programs as "vodka shot/cocaine" versus "brandy"? I could see myself making a metaphor like that, but it certainly would be a stretch to assume from this that I take drugs.

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I was thinking of a specific article in the Vancouver Sun during the Olympics, which I just searched for and it's no longer on line. I don't want to attempt to recreate the quote, but it was something to the effect of "they don't like me [because among other things] I like to make drug references."

Repeated drug references, particularly in the context of what using them is like, naturally leads the listener to think the speaker has some experience in using drugs. I'm not saying that Johnny ever did drugs - the point is that he threw around the language for effect, and tried to be cool or something by sounding like he knew what he was talking about. I can see where the USFSA would have a problem with that, more so than the likely possibility that he was gay, which was the point of my post.

9. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about that. Plenty of people in the spotlight and out of it make drug referrences, and it's never taken seriously. I have a really hard time believing that because he compared another skater's program to snorting cocain, someone seriously believed that Weir might have experience using drugs. The time he said it (and the times he's referrenced saying it) have all clearly had a tone that implies he was joking, imo.

That being said, I'm sure the USFSA and SOI don't like the jokes about drugs because it doesn't give the family friendly image they want to project.

10. REO

REO New Member

I agree with you Tassel. USFSA sent him to media training because of his vodka shot line. I'm not sure they appreciate the gay image any more than they do the drug references. JMO but I think figure skating would maybe appeal to more people in the 2000s if they were a little less buttoned up. If Michael Vick can make a comeback in football, Johnny should be able to joke about the effects of programs as a snort of cocaine versus a brandy and cigarette.

11. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I don't think it's about being buttoned up or family friendly. Figure skating is a sport in the Olympics, where any kind of drug use is taken very seriously. Figure skating also struggles to be taken seriously as a sport and not just entertainment, so has to work even harder to prove that its participants are serious, trained, disciplined and talented athletes. References to drugs may be acceptable in the entertainment world, but not in sports.

If Johnny is so creative and expressive, surely he could have found other ways to describe programs, but IMO he did it for effect, to push the envelope, to tease people, and to test his boundaries with the USFSA and even the ISU/IOC.

mmscfdcsu and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Justathoughtabl

I think he did it because it was funny and he just couldn't help himself. He likes to have fun with people, that's all. Under most circumstances, a comment like that would be completely harmless. The press even laughed when he said it (realizing immediately that he meant it to be funny), but then realized the potential for a story there and started stirring the pot with the USFSA, which they knew would react because it IS quite conservative. The press loves a funny quote, but they love a good story more. And they turned one small joke into more than it was, and they continue to do that whenever they say that "Johnny Weir likes to make drug references," implying to the uninformed that Johnny Weir habitually makes references to taking drugs and therefore probably takes drugs.

13. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

You are making a lot of inferences about what the press thought and did in reaction to Johnny's statements.

It's also possible that the media who were there when he made the statements were laughing in a "OMG I can't believe he said that" way, not because they thought what he said was funny.

And if you call contacting the USFSA for reaction to Johnny's statements "stirring the pot", OK, but I would call it "doing their jobs". It's responsible reporting to get the other side of every story. I think most sports reporters have a lot more important things to do with their time than deliberately manufacturing discontent between skaters and the USFSA.

14. REO

REO New Member

That's the thing about the Federation. The reporters knew they could get a rise out of them by making a big deal out of Johnny's statements because they are so stodgy. Johnny is the only skater who doesn't mouth the usual drek about just trying his best and working hard. If your boss tells you to go write a story about skating, it gets hard to get more than a paragraph on someone who is too shy or uptight to talk except in practiced lines they learned in media training. Johnny has a big personality. He's fun and interesting and remember that he was like 20 years old at the time. What kids don't talk like that in the real world?
    The idea that skaters should be more circumspect because it's an Olympic sport is dopey. The Olympics is not a religious camp meeting. It's a sporting event. He wasn't referring to performance enhancing drugs. I would be willing to bet that none of the snowboarders would think twice about saying those things. lol

15. Justathoughtabl

I would say the press could have laughed because the statement was funny AND because they couldn't believe a skater in a very conservative federation would have the guts to say something like that. I'm guessing that they saw a story there and ran with it. You say it's their job to get two sides to a story; it's also their job to find the story, and they MADE a story out of something that really isn't a big deal in many more liberal circles. He didn't say he takes drugs. He didn't take drugs then lie about it. He compared two skating programs to the effects of drugs, in a very innocuous way. But by asking the federation what they thought, the press wanted (and I'm inferring here, yes) to get some good quotes and make a story out of it. Now Johnny Weir is forever linked to "drug references," whatever that means. On a much smaller scale, it reminds me of John Lennon's "bigger than Jesus" statement. :lol: The U.S. (and I'm American) is a very conservative country, still.

Oh, and as for the press having more important things to do than manufacturing discontent? That's what they do. They find stories, and if necessary, they highlight certain statements to make things seem bigger than they are. The Johnny/Evan feud, anyone? Beatles versus Stones? Paul McCartney is dead?

16. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Of course reporters are looking for colourful quotes, and Johnny in his efforts to get attention chose controversial as well as colourful, pretty much guaranteeing headlines. But he's not some kid in the real world - he was an elite athlete representing his country in an official capacity, and his sport as well.

It's entirely possible to give a good interview and get coverage without saying things you know will piss people off.

Recreational drugs are also prohibited, and particularly after what happened in Nagano, I really don't think a lot of snowboarders are going to "joke" about drugs.

Anyway, as we continue to argue this old issue, my original point is that I don't believe it was homophobia that put the USFSA at odds with Johnny - it was his choice to continually push everyone's buttons, all the while saying he was "just joking" or being outrageous or whatever.

17. Justathoughtabl

I haven't been following skating all that long, but it seems to me that the USFSA takes image very seriously. They told Rachael Flatt to cut her hair, for example. Who cares about her hair? They've told Johnny to change his costume. What would they do if a skater had tattoos, a la Dennis Rodman? Or purple hair?

Evidence suggests that they like their skaters to be clean cut, meaning not different (or flamboyant) in any way. And certain voices (Elvis Stojko, for example) have called for men to be more masculine. Are those voices not also present among USFSA officials? And what is behind calls to be more masculine, if not homophobia? What's wrong with being feminine?

I know certain posters are going to jump on me for jumping to conclusions, but I'm just saying I can see where people got the idea that there's homophobia in the USFSA. After all, homophobia is still VERY common. VERY common. And it often includes a fear of men who aren't masculine enough.

18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I think everyone from skating officials to fans pretty much knew that he was gay even before winning the 04 Nats raised his profile. He's always been obviously gay. I seriously doubt anyone thought that he was anything else. For some reason, some people wanted him to come out and say it.

19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think many in the skating establishment want to present skating as more athletic so it will be taken seriously as a sport, and that does not equate masculine, which in turn does not equate heterosexual.

I think we all agree that Johnny and the USFSA did not get along - but it's the reasons why that are in dispute. Johnny says it's because he's different and doesn't discourage the idea that it's because he's gay (or was thought to be gay) - but I think it's because he didn't play along with the rules or others, and continually said and did things knowing they'd cause friction, and my guess is in many cases, purposely made choices that would bring that result (ie wearing fur in competition, and a rival team jacket in Torino).

20. Justathoughtabl

This is getting away from your originally point again, Jenny, but I don't think presenting FS as more athletic is working. People think of it as an artistic, flamboyant sport (or non-sport, even). I think the USFSA would be wise to promote the aspects of FS that make it unique. There are all these people in crazy costumes...there are different skating styles...there are different personalities. Why not market that? They really could have buddied up with Johnny AND Evan and highlighted/celebrated the differences in their styles and personalities to get people to tune in. If they encouraged the skaters to be themselves, it would be a much more interesting sport. And they could still emphasize the quad and all of that, but with a much more colorful backdrop. The reason I think of the USFSA as conservative is because they appear to want to make all the athletes the same, even if it is for the sake of promoting FS as a serious sport. And when an athlete deviates from that, it upsets them.

21. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Don't get me started on federations and the ISU and the agents and promoters and their lack of vision in promoting and growing the sport. :lol:

22. overedge

What you are describing is the TMZ/National Enquirer end of the spectrum, which are not sports media organizations. I can assure you that most sports reporters are too busy covering events, competitions, and activities to have time to sit around and concoct plots to stir up discontent between federations and athletes. And if they did, I can also assure you that they would be thinking about how to do this in the most high profile sports, like basketball and football. They would not bother with a sport that gets relatively little coverage and isn't that important to the average sports fan.

23. REO

REO New Member

100% agree, but I also think for some reason, some people wanted him to keep his trap shut about it. We all know keeping his trap shut is usually just not an option with Johnny. :D He's always been an open book which is why I think there was an agenda.

24. Justathoughtabl

This is what I call making a mountain out of a molehill, or making a story out of an innocuous statement. They did not need to write an article about this one quote. And AP is not on the TMZ end of the spectrum:

Weir's Drug References Draw Criticism
    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/10840783/

And the follow-up, because there was apparently an uproar:
    Won't Make Any Drug References, Weir Says
    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/10854648/

25. overedge

Seriously. An athlete makes comments, even joking comments, about parallels between skaters' programs and different types of drugs, and you don't think that's worth a news story? That would have been written about if pretty much any athlete had done the same thing, not just poor picked-on Johnny. And if the AP had not called up the USFS for its opinion it would have gotten grief for not covering the story fairly. Sorry, but it's not the AP who is making mountains out of molehills here.

26. Justathoughtabl

No, I don't.

27. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

There was a picture of JW in my local newspaper last night. The picture was of him and Brad Goreski (stylist) posing in little shorts and a cravat at the Trevor Project Hero Awards.

28. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Did they really :eek: I hadn't heard about that.

I do understand that kids really do talk a lot like that, but if it was my 20 year old making the reference, it would make me ask the question if they actually had epxerience of the drug, and if the answer was no, then obviously it was done specifically to shock or for effect (or to be "cool"). I'm with Jenny on this one - it was pruposefully done for effect.

29. REO

REO New Member

LOL The first pic from that event I saw was of just him from the waist up and I thought, "How cute does he look tonight?!" and then I saw the shorts. Never let it be said that he's predictable.

30. REO

REO New Member

antmab, I completely agree that he sometimes says stuff for shock or entertainment value. I just don't think this was in any shape or form an implied endorsement of doing dope. It was a colorful comparison of the diference between his and Ryan's programs meaning both were enjoyable but in different ways. To me the controversy was blown way out of proportion.