Johnny Weir news, quotes and articles - v.3

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Lexxandra, Mar 11, 2011.

1. REO

REO New Member

OMG you're right! It must be catching. I stand corrected but agalisgv is right. And no, Val, aftershocks and I not the same person. Actually I'm really posting double as overedge and REO so my two natures can war with each other. lol

2. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Why is snark being thrown around here as something bad? :huh: Do you guys even know what snark is?

Yes, there is a difference between snark and hate. I can understand why an uber would see everything in a bad light, though. It must be hard to be an uber. Everyone who doesn't agree with you is out there to get your beloved. And why oh why does everyone else get more praise than my beloved? Yes, I meticulously gathered all the information, fed it into Excel, made charts, comparisons, I know what I'm talking about and I can prove it! As well as the fact that I'm intellectually superior to y'all who can't comprehend all the awesomeness and delight that is my beloved and see his True Soul.

Johnny and his remarks/actions have nothing to do with people perceive him, though, right? He is a polarizing person and will always get strong reactions. Deal with it. I am a fan of someone who's very polarizing and even though I love many things about him, he does annoy the shit out of me sometimes, too. I refuse to idolize anyone.

Fit in wherever in your meticulously made boxes and labels, but as much as I like Johnny's skating, I find his off ice persona off-putting. He can sound and behave like a twit and personally I have no patience for it. More for you then, enjoy! I reserve the right to call him a twit, too. If that makes me 1. "ex-fan", 2. "HATER!" in your world, so be it. All that makes you an uber in mine. Which is basically someone who takes their fandom way too seriously.

ETA: As for FSU in general. Different boards have different tones. If the one here doesn't fit your tastes, feel free to find one that does. I will never understand why people start posting on a board they don't like. Unless chastising others is your thing, I guess. Or proselytizing perhaps? Why do you think that an entire board should cater to your tastes? BTW, if you think FSU is bad, you really need to get around the Internet more. And I'm not talking about fan boards.

skatemomaz and (deleted member) like this.
  3. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Thanks for clarifying, on both counts. ;)

4. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl Active Member

Calling people "haters," "ubers," and "twits" sounds very high school to me. I'm wondering if we can just get past name-calling and labels. It really has less to do with this board specifically and more to do with, "Are adults really like this?" Yes, you find this tone all over the Internet, where people can say whatever they want to other people under protection of anonymity. And it always has me wondering where people's manners are. Calls for civil discourse seem to be pushed aside and dismissed because it's much easier to go the other way.

There seems to be a lot of anger and defensiveness. Once again, can't we all just calm down? Sorry if I started this whole thing. Clearly the two sides don't understand each other--I know several of the things I've said have been twisted, including the idea that I want the entire board to change for me, as well as the idea that just because I defended Johnny a bit, it means I think he's perfect--so this argument is pointless.

5. REO

REO New Member

I agree with WindSpirit that Johnny is a polarizing person - read any thread about him - and that snark is just being a wiseas$ which is bread and butter to me lol. I always call myself an uber but I don't think I take my fandom too seriously. I don'[t follow him around the world or have a site or blog dedicated to him or anything like that. I guess it's the polarization that makes me want to defend him tooth and nail. When a poster goes past the snark and into the haterz realm I go into uberization mode.

6. WindSpirit

So you are into chastising others and proselytizing.

Like I said, I seriously don't get it. I read many boards, I post at several. I don't post at boards (or even read them) if I don't like the tone of the entire board. I don't expect the entire board to cater to my tastes. "Oh you shouldn't do and say that, I'll tell you what you should do." :huh:

There are many, many boards out there. Find the ones you like or set up your own and make up your own rules. Don't try to tell us we don't hold our pinkies at a "proper" angle while we drink tea.

If you think it's an OK thing to do, go to, say, TWoP or better yet, Survivor Sucks and trying telling them what they should do. Not only would you get your ass kicked, you'd probably get banned too.

7. WindSpirit

You don't have to follow him around the world or have a site or blog dedicated to him to be an uber. I don't think those are things that make someone an uber anyway (unless you meant follow them around the world literally, but that would make someone more of a stalker than an uber).

If you want to defend him "tooth and nail" and if you think your actions are justified because of someone else's actions, that's another story though.

If you keep track of how many times other people have been praised/criticized compared to the person you're the fan of, same thing.

You guys are at a general board, not a fan board. We prefer a laid-back, informal atmosphere. Same goes for the language. If you're so emotionally invested in someone, you might not necessarily like what's being said about them. The "haterz realm" has a very different threshold to someone who's not so emotionally involved and someone who is. In other words, you are more likely to see red where other people wouldn't.

Like I said, I'm a fan of someone who's very polarizing and if I could give you any advice it would be this. Pick your battles wisely. Better yet, stop seeing everything as a battle. It's not your job to defend them "nail and tooth". Most of the time there's not even a reason to. Some people will like them and some will not. Accept that. If the person you're the fan of says/does something controversial, you are not responsible for the fallout or lack of thereof. Learn how to let go. If you don't want to be perceived as an uber, don't behave like one. If you do, you're most likely to do more harm than help and why would you want that? Let other people have their opinions. The person you're the fan of is going to be OK no matter what you do. Lighten up, you'll enjoy your fandom more.

You guys are so sure that Johnny gets slammed here the most. But we've heard that from many other fans. Some people get slam more than others, absolutely, but it's usually happens when that person does something to be in the news, especially if it's controversial. Plush got TONS of criticism for his behavior and statements after the Olympics. Patrick Chan got his share, too, a few years ago. Evan, just for winning the Olympics. Etc. Johnny's outspoken and he is controversial and polarizing. You gotta take the bad with the good.

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  8. REO

REO New Member

Actually I did mean literally follow him around the world. He has several who do!

I think the difference is that Johnny gets slammed for his personal life more than his skating. There is always the homophobia agenda lurking too, which adds to some people's defensiveness. I, personally, have no trouble with people who criticize if they do so with reason and moderation but there are a couple who are truly nasty. If you think we shouldn't reply to those people then there is no dialog and why have a forum.

Quite frankly I think alot of the heated back and forth comes about because people take a couple of words from a post and then try to twist the meaning around just to be belligerant and get people's fur up. Maybe they just gave a post a quick read and didn't really comprehend but then they shouldn't reply, and there are some who make that a staple of their posts.

Anyway I do this for fun. You can be assured it doesn't really affect my life negatively. lol

Jenny and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Justathoughtabl

Totally agree with everything in this post.

10. Justathoughtabl

I certainly didn't mean to tell others what to do, but why are people so defensive, even if they think I did? What I find strange is that I get told off for "telling others what to do" in a non-belligerent way, while people who are belligerent towards me don't get told a damn thing.

I made one little comment about how weird it was that so many comments about Johnny were negative, and it blew up. And suddenly I'm a self-righteous "uber." Ah, well. I went somewhere where my opinion isn't popular-- what did I expect? :lol:

11. WindSpirit

Oh because we're so homophobic here. :lol:

Yes, the best way to get a dialogue going is to reply to people who are truly nasty. Because by arguing with them you're going to change that. We have thousands of members, there's enough dialogue going without engaging the trolls.

And you think it's your job to straighten them out?

You argue with people for fun? How wonderful. I'm glad you know how to spend your time wisely.

12. Justathoughtabl

I don't think Reo was saying either of these things.

13. REO

REO New Member

And that's just what I was talking about. Purposely using something someone posted and twisting it in a way as to make that person seem foolish. Do you truly think a person would not reply in kind? That's what most of the problem is. If you look up a couple of posts you'll see me admit I made a mistake to overedge in something I said. The two of us seldom agree about anything but I admit when I'm wrong. What I meant was that I participate in this forum for fun. I don't argue just for the sake of it.

As for the homophobia comment I know you are right in the main, but there is an element that seems a little iffy. ;) Actually I just meant that that issue makes some people touchy and they may be more defensive than need be about some comments.

I realize you're just trying to say that we should try to be a little more tolerant and high minded and that's a nice concept but if people say things like 'Rachael looks like a ham' or 'Johnny is an idiot' some people can't let that go.

14. WindSpirit

I didn't "purposely twist" anything you wrote. If anything, I misunderstood you. But thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt. You speak about other people's defensiveness so much and it turns out you're the defensive one. Quelle surprise.

I think you're reading too much in what people are saying and way too much when it comes to their intentions.

All that only shows me that you're on "high alert" about anything that might be perceived negatively about Johnny.

It's always someone else's fault, isn't it? A reasonable, intelligent non homophobic person could never ever think Johnny can be an annoying twit, could they?

If you can't let it go, you're just going to prolong the issue, which does seem to contradict your goal.

BTW, I wasn't necessarily trying to say that you should try to be "a little more tolerant and high minded," I was trying to say that you should relax and enjoy your fandom. Not think of it as a job to defend Johnny "tooth and nail". Trust me, he's going to be just fine without it. Even more so, since never has the uberdom made anyone see the ubers or the person they're devoted to in a good light. On the contrary.

15. REO

REO New Member

Okay well we're doing exactly what you've been preaching we should not do so I concede the argument to you on all points and go off to enjoy my fandom like a good little poster without any opinions of my own or the will to respond to anyone with whom I disagree.
    Probably not for long. lol

16. WindSpirit

:lol: Hardly. But the fact that you ignored most of my points has been duly noted.

You feel you're on a mission, reason is obviously not going to solve it.

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Johnny's personal life is open for discussion, opinion and criticism because Johnny has made it so with his reality show, his book, his Twitter postings and his interviews. That's the difference.

I have to disagree that there is "always the homophobia agenda." While I can't speak for every FSU member, as a collective group, the idea that FSU is at all homophobic is laughable. In fact, because FSU is open and liberal, with many gay members as well, I've found that gay issues - and jokes - are openly discussed in a very inclusive way. Further, I've found that just about every time the very notion of homophobia comes up, it's from someone defending Johnny.

If some posts are nasty - and I don't think it's nasty as much as snarky to the extreme - consider that it might be in response to the other extreme, which are the repeated and lengthy discourses on poor, persecuted Johnny.

18. REO

REO New Member

I agree with everything you say except for the statement that there is "always the homophobic agenda." When I mentioned that I was only referring to a couple of posters whom I wonder about. Certainly not the majority around here. I guess I shouldn't have used the word always. It seemed to freak some people out. I meant that in any critcism of his life outside of skating or his clothes etc you "always" have to consider if that is coming from someone who does not like him simply because of who he is. And most times I agree it's not. Like I said up thread a ways, there are times I cringe at his outfits or hairdos. I find that people read into what you say what they want to hear not necessarily what is actually written. ;)

19. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

But why? Or rather, to what end?

You can't read minds in person, much less over the internet. One of the reasons many of these discussions go awry is that so many people try to identify motivations and underlying psychological reasons for why people post as they do--and I include calling people "ubers" in this.

Taking what people say at face value and trying to determine whether there is or isn't merit to it is hard enough--but discussions tend to run more smoothly that way rather than degenerating into these back-and-forth arguments about who REALLY means what.

20. WindSpirit

Please stop that fake Dr. Phil talk. "There must be something within you that you feel is not right and I can sense it in you even if you can't."

BTW, it doesn't freak us out. We're just telling you you're full of it.

That's exactly what you do.

21. Justathoughtabl

Each side has tried to read the other's motivations and meanings. Each side has tried to tell the other what to do. However, only one side has gotten angry about the whole thing. Or maybe I'm just biased. :D

22. Prancer

I would agree that only one side has gotten mad. I just don't think we are talking about the same side.

23. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I think only one side has gone mad :p

24. REO

REO New Member

You are right in what you say. It's just difficult when you feel what you've said has been misunderstood not to reply back.

25. REO

REO New Member

Well I can totally see that you're not taking this too seriously. Dang!

polett and (deleted member) like this.
  26. polett

polett New Member

No, they could not. Unless they're deliberately trying to sound unreasonable. :slinkaway

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  27. Prancer

I understand that, but that's not the same thing as trying to figure out the real reason why people don't like Johnny and whether or not they are homophobic.

I don't think most of us can explain why we REALLY do or do not like people, much less why other people do. I do think that Johnny inspires such a response because he symbolizes something to people, but what that something is varies. And I don't think it pays to try to figure it out, either.

I realized a while back that Johnny reminds me very much of someone I used to know, and that my reactions to him are really reactions to that other person. It's not something you would ever figure out about me; you don't know me well enough. It took me a long time to figure it out for myself.

It's not just Johnny. The strong visceral reactions to Rachael Flatt, for example, indicate to me that she also symbolizes something to people. I don't know what it is, exactly, although sometimes I wonder if she is some sort of stand-in for all the "less worthy" people who have somehow gotten ahead at the expense of some posters, but I don't think that's true for all of them or even most of them, and I don't know which ones it is true for, if any.

And in the end, no matter why they dislike Rachael or Johnny or whoever, the bottom line is that they dislike them, period.

28. polett

polett New Member

I love you, I dis you, I could be wrong, Prancer! :rofl:

29. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

REO, I think I love you. Yep, I'm not you. I’m your uber! :saint:

Please, please do not tell me you are overedge’s other half. :rofl:

RE the back-and-forth on “the gene pool” comment. It originated from mmscfdcsu’s #15 post, in GSD’s “Johnny will not compete …” thread, and my quoting mmscfdcsu in that thread is just an example of my throwing back a stinger – but it seemed to have stung elsewhere. :D

REO quoted it… and then I did too, with a slight word change, only I neglected to put the phrase in quotes, silly me! Doubt I could have come up with that original zinger all on my own. Sorry to disappoint, overedge.

Not that I’m making fun of anyone’s serious, well thought out, sincerely expressed comments, but this thread somehow reminds me of musical chairs, and of the childhood game of whispering in someone’s ear and seeing how by the time the words have been whispered one to the next down the line into 20 separate kids’ ears, the original words come out completely different in a crazy, kaleidoscope kinda way.

@antmanb re your post #287 in this thread: “… I’ve given [Johnny] crap on this board for being closeted…” Oh well, I have seen this expressed before on Internet sites, not necessarily just on FSU either -- but, Johnny “closeted.” When? Do you mean b/c he didn’t call a press conference to confess being gay, after he won his first Nationals? Who among the many gay skaters in figure skating (besides Rudy Galindo) have ever confessed to being gay during their eligible career? What is it exactly that makes you describe Johnny as having been “closeted”? Not to start anymore arguments: just askin’. IMHO, Johnny has often taken the heat for being a “flamboyant” [;) term for gay] outspoken skater, and as a result some of the more rigid attitudes regarding how gay skaters should present themselves on the ice, have become a bit more relaxed.

If Johnny ever wandered into this thread, which I doubt, I can imagine him having a huge laugh and/ or shaking his head incredulously. Johnny to Tara: “Wow, what rhymes with polarizing.” :ROFL: Doubt Johnny has the time to waste time here though. He’s probably too busy thinking of the next “polarizing” thing he can do or say. He’s just so d**n ‘polarizing.’ Seriously, I doubt Johnny intentionally tries to be polarizing. He just tends to do and say what he wants. That’s how he lives his life, which is enough I guess to make him a polarizing figure. The term, btw, reminds me of another even more public figure often described as “polarizing,” Hillary Clinton. Hmmm those “polarizing” people can be so annoying, with the way they go about movin’ and shakin’ things up, and changing the world. In Johnny’s case, the very insular world of figure skating. Believe it or not, like him or not. Things is what they is. Excuse my grammatical incorrectness, and also my unfortunate usage in a previous post here of the term, “level the playing field.” Definitely a wrong choice of words, as truthfully, who cares about a “level playing field”? That’s so boring, and unrealistic.

Ahhhh, thanks Prancer. I believe you are on to something.
    And your thoughts remind me of what I have said here many times before: these “polarizing” discussions end up not being about Johnny after all, but instead, are reflective of who we are.
    As I expressed in the similar GSD thread: Thanks Johnny! We barely knew ye.

Hope my comments are not too “repeated and lengthy a discourse” for ya Jenny, “on poor, persecuted Johnny.” That Johnny fella! When will he ever get a life…? Hmmmm, maybe a cue for many of us to get up from the computer screen, and take a good, long look in the mirror, eh?

IMHO, the whole world has gone mad. Perhaps this thread is just a infinitesimal microcosm of that fact… Alright, alright, anyone I’ve managed to offend: I speak for myself and my own individual perceptions, misperceptions, likes, dislikes, and human frailties... Back to my mad den :slinkaway

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  30. Justathoughtabl

Johnny will be in the cast of Fantasy on Ice on July 2&3 in Fukuoka, Japan. Cast includes Lambiel, Verner, Ando, Oda, and more.