Johnny Weir news, quotes and articles - v.3

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Lexxandra, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Lexxandra

Lexxandra Member

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting, Lexxandra. Lots of Johnny news in these video clips. Too bad the lighting is not great, and the sound when the questioners speak is often indistinguishable. Soooo, the apartment purchase rumors are wrong. Johnny said he inquired and looked at the condo, but had not decided to buy it because it was a lot of money for a one-bedroom. Plus, the building owners were interested in the publicity factor, which isn't good. Isn't it interesting how the media, and especially many FSU posters all jump the gun before knowing the truth (re all the snarky comments about the supposed condo purchase in that ignominious thread).

Jumping the gun, I will say I'm not surprised that Evan (according to Johnny) has a contract that reportedly stipulates he will not skate in any shows with Johnny. I think that's kind of sad. Maybe Evan also wouldn't want to skate in any shows with Plushenko.

I think I heard Johnny say that Evgeni is not preparing to skate in his show either, because he's teaching skating (couldn't quite make out if he was referring to Evgeni, though).

I must say I disagree with Johnny's statement that the American men are not a good team for the World Championships, perhaps there's some jealousy in his comments. Johnny has in the past shown respect to Ryan Bradley (when Johnny commentated for Worlds last year, he had very nice things to say about Ryan). And, I also think that Ryan seems to be very sportsmanlike toward all his competitors. In any case, Johnny is not alone in feeling that the Men's team going to Worlds does not have great experience or results on the senior level. I think Ryan can be competitive if he lands his quads and does the best he can do (but I wouldn't expect him to reach the podium, unless a lot of other guys falter). Of course Jeremy Abbott is the more well known internationally, and his programs are more mature and complex, but Abbott didn't deliver at Nationals in the long program -- and Abbott hasn't yet had good results at Worlds. I really like Ross Miner, and I think Richard Dornbush's Sherlock Holmes program is well-suited to his strengths, and also very entertaining. If these two can lay out clean programs and not think about the pressure, they should place well, and the experience is invaluable. Everyone has to start somewhere, and it's not fair to be dismissive of them. OTOH, Johnny has often been at the receiving end of dismissive treatment by his own fed, so I sympathize with the emotions that may exist under the surface of his comments.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: So where were the reports at the time that Johnny *didn't* buy the condo? The reports that he *did* buy the condo were coming from fairly reliable sources, e.g. blogs that cover New York real estate deals. And there was no denial of those reports from Team Johnny.

Speaking of "jumping the gun before knowing the truth", I know you love any excuse to slam FSUers who don't worship Johnny as much as you do, but the thread was based on the reliable information that was out there at the time.

4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Typical media. I remember around the same time as the condo reports, there were tons of reports all over the place (not just at gossip sites) that Taylor Swift's latest boyfriend had paid an insane amount for a diamond bracelet for her, when in reality they were already broken up. :lol:

5. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl New Member

I believe the original source of the Johnny Weir condo story was Page Six in the NY Post, which is a gossip column. Hardly trustworthy, and I for one feel a bit foolish for not being more dubious. But it's not a big deal, and there was really no reason to have such a blow-up about it in the first place. It still may be true, or it may not. Best we just wait to see what Johnny says.

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

There were multiple news reports from credible sources that he had bought the apartment, and the online listing indicated it was no longer on the market. As most people don't make an official announcement when they've purchased a home, based on the info at hand I think FSUers can be forgiven for assuming it was true.

And how do you know that what you've posted here is the truth? Just because Johnny said it? Please. That's his version of what happened, or the version that he wants people to know - which doesn't mean it's fact.

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  7. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I wondered why news about Johnny buying a condo was posted in "Great Skate Debate." I now wonder why a thread about Johnny NOT buying a condo is posted in "Great Skate Debate." Meanwhile, we have an article about Fumie Suguri continuing on to 2014, an article actually about skating, that sits in the "Trash Can." ???? :lol:

O-

8. aftershocks

Yes, who knows, Jenny? Quite true, Johnny is speaking informally at a fan meeting. However, I would rely on the fact that Johnny said he hasn't decided to purchase the condo. Of course, we don't know whether that means he might change his mind at some future date. He pointed out two reasons for not making the purchase: size vs. cost; and the fact the building owners were so eager to publicize he might be making the purchase.

In fact, I also jumped the gun on something else Johnny stated during the interview (so I'm not excluding myself), which may or may not be true. I'm kind of thinking it probably is true, but again, nothing to blow out of proportion certainly. Even Johnny's comments about the U.S. men for the World team coincide with the opinions of some fans.

If you view the clips Lexxandra posted OliviaPug, surprise, surprise, there are in fact many references to skating (only a small part of the second clip involved mention of the non-purchase of the condo). I'm sorry for bringing it up. There is quite a lot in these clips other than the things I mentioned. It's probably best for everyone to view the clips first.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  9. Lexxandra

Lexxandra Member

Maybe because Johnny also talks about his new short and free programs, but people for some reason want to discuss a condo? :shuffle:

10. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Johnny and Evan are both listed as appearing in FSIH at Wolman Rink in April. Let's see if they are both there.

In what part (#) did Johnny said that re: Evan and the contract?

Thanks.

11. Justathoughtabl

Justathoughtabl New Member

Yes, I watched the clips of the fan meeting and will throw in my two cents: to me, he comes off has sweet, funny, forthcoming with answers to fan questions, and very gracious to sit for so long with the fans. Also, I think he's much more practical/thoughtful than he gets credit for. They asked about his skating plans, and his answers were quite interesting.

12. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

If Evan actually does have a contract saying he won't skate with Johnny, then I guess that's why Johnny isn't on Stars on Ice.. I kind of understand why Evan would have a contract like this because Johnny is so in people's faces.. he could easily get on someone's nerves in a major way.

13. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

I wondered if the childish names that he called Michael Weiss had anything to do with not being asked to skate in SOI. In his book he sounded like an 8 year old hurling insults on the playground. He gave no information to back up the insults. I thought that SOI was looking for a family style cast that could get along with each other. :confused:

14. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

15. mmscfdcsu

Johnny makes it very clear that he is not a team player. Reading Scott Hamilton's books and his reaction to drama with Tara and Debi Thomas, I can understand why he would not want to have Johnny on board. Of course, I know nothing about the real situation, no insider knowledge, but I do think that Johnny's lack of being a team player is part of the situation.

16. aftershocks

@kwanette: A question about Evan is asked by a fan in clip #3, when Johnny is responding to an earlier question about skaters he might like to appear in his planned show with Lady Gaga and Elton John. If Evan does have such a stipulation in his contract for shows, I don't think that would necessarily pertain to Evan appearing at a FSIH benefit when Johnny is also appearing. Perhaps Evan, as the Olympic champion, prefers to be the major male skating star for any touring or special performance shows. In any case, I doubt that Johnny would ever think of asking Evan to appear in his skating spectacular. Seriously, I think these guys both had a lot of respect for each other growing up in the sport, but maybe they never had a lot in common and would never have been friends anyway. The real problem, IMO, is that the federation and the media overdid the rivalry aspect, and also that Evan's personality seemed to change after he won the bronze at Worlds in 2005. For example, when Johnny had his meltdown in the lp at 2003 Nats, Johnny later said Evan was the only person who came up to him backstage and offered words of encouragement. Once Evan became the fed favorite and began winning internationally, IMO, he seemed to take on a different mindset (not saying that's wrong, but just my observation) which left no room for being kind to his closest competitors.

@Justathoughtabl: ITA, Johnny is very giving of his time to fans, and he's very open and funny in responding to questions, especially that one about an error in his book. :) I love how he responds to the question about being a star, but also being approachable. He said he feels it is an honor to give back love and time to his fans who give so much to him. Johnny also had some lovely things to say about his friendship with Stephane Lambiel. I think Johnny's personality is very empathetic, and that he somehow responds to people in the same manner in which they respond to him. He's very attuned to emotions.

In the below press interview clip (also posted in the Johnny comeback thread), Johnny is asked again about the U.S. men's team, and he has interesting things to say about Adam Rippon. I hope Adam is able to work out his growing pains and come back strong for next season. Johnny is also asked about Ryan Bradley, and he admits that Ryan is a good skater, but he doesn't think he'll be able to medal at Worlds since he previously was in "16th place." Actually, Ryan was 15th at 2007 Worlds -- I think he had blown one of his programs that year, and should probably have placed higher. In 2010, Ryan was 18th (he was dealing with an injury). I've always enjoyed Ryan -- he's very entertaining. I think he's improved his spins, and he has great jumps when he's on. I give Ryan a thumbs-up, and hope he does well at Worlds. I've often thought that if Ryan had been born in Russia and been made to take ballet (which Russians don't consider to be a sissy undertaking), he might have more stretch, flexibility and a sense of artistry and musicality, which combined with his long legs and charisma, would make him absolutely breathtaking as a skater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5we8p8S9Ehw

17. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

At this point, I would take anything that Johnny says about Evan with a boulder-sized grain of salt.

18. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I think Johnny needs to buy a condo in the trashcan with all the other fan threads :D

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  19. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Don't forget all the hullaballo last year about how Johnny was "too gay" for SOI. It was all over CNN. It was a terrible PR blow for SOI, and totally hyped more by Johnny's fans than Johnny himself. I think that has way more to do with them not extending a contract this season than the book, since the book came out recently and SOI contracts probably would have been signed prior to the book coming out.

20. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

But then, where are we going to discuss that? :drama:

21. mmscfdcsu

True, but I assume that the hostility with Michael Weiss goes way back. Also, Johnny has made it known for years that he is not a team player.

22. kwanette

Thanks, aftershocks, I saved the magazine in which Johnny said those kind things re: Evan at 03 Nats. In fact at the 05 SA FOFS breakfast, I had an opportunity to chat with Evan. He wasn't aware of the magazine article and said to me.."We're friends.." I sent a copy of the article to Evan and he wrote me a lovely personal thank you note which I still have.

I have always liked Johnny and Evan...as skaters and as people...and I always wished the best for both of them. It's too bad that the 'rivalry" ended up being somewhat nasty. We were lucky to have those two men earning 3 spots for us for yrs.

23. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

It's also possible that once it was perceived by Evan's competitors that Evan was the "fed favorite", his competitors' attitudes toward Evan changed and not vice versa. Jealously and/or envy will immediately change how you interact with someone whom you were once friendly with.

24. aftershocks

@orbitz: Re your comment: "It's possible ... his competitors' attitudes toward Evan changed and not vice versa..." Sure, and it's also possible that Evan was once jealous of his competitors prior to his success, and possibly he channeled some of those emotions into doing whatever it took to improve and to reach the top of the podium. My opinion re your comment is that it's vice versa, as well as a mixture of circumstances and emotions all around -- i.e., Evan's demeanor changed to one of intensity, and he began to focus exclusively and aggressively on winning -- obviously nothing wrong with that, as it did work for him. Perhaps his competitors noticed the change, and may have felt that Evan was holding his nose in the air as being above everyone else, and obviously jealousy could also be a factor in his competitors' perceptions. Johnny has already admitted that he is jealous of Evan's Olympic and World championship success. I don't get the impression though that Johnny is jealous of Evan as a person.

For me, I did not like Evan/ his team's insistence on making comments circa 2007-2008 related to "macho," and "masculinity," not being synonymous with "sequins" on costumes. And, Evan's famous comment prior to 2007 Nationals that if he were to become U.S. National champion, he would be sure to represent in a respectful manner. This during the same period that Johnny, as the reigning U.S. National Champion, was fielding queries about the Blackbook photos, and Mark Lund's over-the-top rant.

@kwanette, thanks for your thoughts and reminisces. Evan's note is a great memento to have. I think Evan's change in attitude (i.e., more aggressiveness and intensity) coincided with Frank Carroll's exclusive coaching takeover, as Evan in 2005, was also receiving coaching from Ken Congemi (who was formerly affiliated with Frank Carroll). In any case, I am of the opinion that the rivalry between Evan and Johnny may have remained respectful if not for all the media mayhem and malarkey (e.g., that cringeworthy fake jokey intrusive interview with Andrea Joyce instigating as she sat between Evan and Johnny, i.e. trying to get them to say something nasty about each other), as well as the "macho" stance that was decided on by Evan's team, not to mention the obvious favoritism by the U.S. fed for one over the other.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  25. overedge

I am sure there are many skaters who wish they were so unfavoured by their federation as to be named to world, Olympic, and international teams, and to receive many years worth of $$$ subsidies for training.

26. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Not to mention that I'm having a hard time picturing Frank Carroll sitting down with Evan and going, "OK, you're going to be Clint Eastwood on ice so you can kick Johnny Weir to the curb." :lol:

27. kwanette

Thanks, aftershocks.I don't know that if it was Evan's team or US Figure Skating that came up with the "macho" stance. I don't think that becoming more aggressive or intense is necessarily a bad thing. Evan himself has spoken about his 4th place finish in Torino and how he watched the medal ceremony and set the goal of making the podium in 2010.He worked, he listened and each yr he added point getters to his programs.He worked his butt off, with quite a few ups and downs between 06-10..and put it all together on the night that it counted.

28. aftershocks

I agree that becoming intense and aggressive as a competitor is not a bad thing, kwanette, particularly if it works for someone. Everybody is not the same. Lots of stuff goes on behind the scenes that we as fans are not aware of, but I'm basing my observations on having followed these guys from the beginning of their senior careers (and I recall Junior Nats when Johnny was first in the sp, but lost it in the lp, and Evan came back from 5th in sp to win it all). I don't fault Evan for being aggressive and determined to win. What sets him apart is his enthusiasm and his willingness to listen to his coach, work hard, and do whatever he's told in order to improve, and ultimately to win. To a great degree, Evan is likely favored by U.S. fed, not only for his talent but because of his "straight-arrow" qualities and his willingness to conform. I think he did change his persona, but maybe that's what he needed to do to maintain his focus. I think he learned a great deal from Frank that has benefited him personally and as a skater. But just as I have always said about Johnny, nobody's perfect. Did you have the opportunity to meet Evan at anytime after 2005?

I'm not sure whether it was U.S. figure skating that dreamed up the "macho" stance, or gave some advice, but there's no way Evan made those comments without Frank Carroll condoning -- and, there is nothing wrong with that either. I just disagree with the stance they decided to take. [Also, the way the media kept putting the camera on Tanith--yes I know she's camera-worthy--during 2007 Nats and emphasizing that she was Evan's girlfriend, was laughable. And yes, I know they broke up quite awhile ago].

IMHO, Frank Carroll grew up in figure skating during a time when perhaps for male skaters it was traditionally important to emphasize "masculinity" in one's skating. So, as a strategy, I think Frank sincerely believes it was entirely appropriate for Evan to comment on the importance of projecting masculinity in costumes and performance on the ice.

Johnny got where he is today on his hard work and his extraordinary talent. Yes, he has received support, as a federation is made up of individual people, and not everyone dislikes or is against Johnny. But he had to comeback the hard way from the disaster in 2003, and he was told to his face as a 19-year-old that he would "never be able to work himself back," and that he was "not going to get any favors." I do see something wrong with someone from a federation saying that to any young skater. In Johnny's case, he used it as further motivation. If he hadn't, his career would have been over before it began (at Nats 2004).

If not for his natural and extraordinary gifts as a skater, Johnny would not have won 3 national titles (a 4th title did not happen in 2008, because Evan was preferred -- sure some will always say it's b/c Johnny didn't add a double jump to a combination --). IMHO, Johnny clearly skated better. Evan skated a sloppy long program, which if Johnny had done, he would likely have dropped to 4th place and been off the 2008 World team, or at the least dropped to 3rd. Evan was dealing with an injury and he had to pull out of Worlds that year, and Johnny ironically ended up being the only U.S. skater to medal. Johnny has also been his own worst enemy on occasion. Nobody's perfect.

Evan as Clint Eastwood on ice -- not a bad analogy.* The difference is: Clint's a lot older and packs a whole lot more authenticity and true-to-himself character to what he uniquely does as an actor, director, filmmaker. LOL, I remember Evan at a press conference referencing Tiger Woods as a competitive role model -- yes, that was back in the day, before Tiger's self-made troubles. Nobody's perfect.

* (Maybe gives Evan some inspiration for a future program -- I'd love to see Ryan B skating to Clint Eastwood theme music). :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  29. REO

REO New Member

It behooved USFS to have a strong team. Not just one man who could do the job. Remember when Evan was hurt and had to bag Worlds that year Johnny saved the day by placing 3rd and securing 3 spaces for out guys. Stuff happens. That doesn't preclude playing favorites though.

As for Frank saying let's be Clint Eastwood and kick Johnny to the curb, I can totally see him saying something along those lines. That sentiment is an old standby for coaches. I think development of killer instinct was what gave Evan his edge. He did seem to change his personality at least in competition. I remember after the Olys Evan was on the Ellen D show and he talked about always sitting in "his seat" at events and that if another skater was in "his seat" he would glare at them and they'd usually move. I thought it was funny. I have a feeling he wasn't referring to Johnny in that though. Fat chance that he'd move. :lol:

30. overedge

How does this prove that USFS favoured Evan over Johnny?