Johnny Weir joining NBC as skating analyst

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by victorskid, Oct 23, 2013.

1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yes, I too loved Johnny's description of a popped jump: "Like trying to throw a cat into a bathtub ... NO!" :lol:

Johnny was very good I thought, and it was lovely to hear Terry Gannon's voice. I suppose they were in the States in a studio doing the broadcast perhaps? In any case, part of the commentating duties seems to be filling the air. It doesn't hurt to let there be silences to enjoy the skating. I think they do try, but I'm sure this is a difficult task that we don't understand that much unless we are faced with doing it. :)

2. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I think all of the Grand Prix outside of US is done from a studio. Canada is potentially a "live" visit, but the rest of it is them just watching the tapes.

Unlike others I think you will have Scott and Sandra for the big events. I hate to say this, but I think NBC doesn't use them for the GP only for $$$$. I think they get more cash then probably Johnny and Tara, for example.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

4. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I guess Scott and Sandra don't work those hours :)

5. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Yeah, I think he deserves massive props for competing at Finlandia and at least trying in the GP. I also thought his comments when he stopped competing LAST year were quite mature and eloquent (he essentially stated that he wasn't where he wanted to be, competitively, and was going to work towards getting there).

6. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Johnny Weir is an extraordinarily wonderful skating analyst! I was quite impressed. More - more - more!!!

As for Scott & Sandra missing this: Knowing 24 hrs before the telecast that a big NBC favorite had placed 'only' 3rd, they easily ceded their thrones to 'The B Team' (Terry & Tara...who, to me, are really the A Team...Weir a part of that A Team too).

7. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Wonder who will be commentating this weekend besides Johnny?

8. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

I very much enjoyed Weir's commentary - thoughtful, funny, and enough technical remarks to be credible. He's got a charming voice and manner.

I get bored with Lipinski's endless references to herself, her (short) career as the young phenom, when talking about other young phenoms, how she can relate to how nervous to skaters are in competition. I believe that she knows her stuff, but she doesn't show it often.

9. aftershocks

^^ Lipinski's not too bad, but there is room for improvement. I think Terry was very generous with her. At a couple of points in their commentary on the ladies, Terry was giving Lipinski props (e.g., saying that Tara started the trend of very young skaters competing in Seniors -- of course that's not exactly true. Maybe the props go to Sonja Henie as one of the first, if not the first youngest ladies competitor? Also, Michelle Kwan competed for the first time at Senior Nats at the age of 12 in 1993, and she competed for the first time at Worlds in 1994 at the age of 13).

It was also a bit contradictory when Lipinski said she was so surprised by Christina Gao. The surprise really was last year, in my estimation, with Christina having a real breakthrough competitively, even though USFS ignored Christina's improvements by the time Nats rolled around (keeping her in 5th place). I think Lipinski was also contradictory in saying that Christina did better domestically than internationally (proven wrong by the fact that Christina did well internationally last season and was a last minute substitute at the Grand Prix Final due to her good showing on the senior GP).

In any case, it's easy to nitpick. Overall, I think Johnny, Tara and Terry are a great team (especially Terry and Johnny).

10. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM New Member

I really enjoyed Johnny Weir commentary, insightful, informative and with fun touches here and there. I thought he seemed a little shy at first but then he got on the rhythm Gannon had set and it went smoothly. By the way, Terry Gannon is always great. I didn't care for Tara one way or the other, I didn't find her (or her voice) annoying but I didn't think her commentary was useful either.

I wonder what the casual NBC Sunday afternoon viewer likes/wants/expects from a figure skating competition broadcast.

They're a good team, definitely much better than NBC's main team. It was disappointing that NBC decided to ignore ice dancing, considering a US team got a medal, they could have shown Hubbell/Donohue, even without "expert" commentary.

11. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

I especially liked Johnny. He made his commentary about the skaters, not about him (don't think I heard the words, "I" or "my" anywhere in his commentary). I liked his voice. He was calm and insightful, as well as being respectful of the skaters. He provided information for the casual viewer, while refraining from talking down to the skating fan, except when prompted by Terry (not easy, IMO). He was funny, but not OTT. Job well done, Johnny.

12. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

I liked him, too, and I didn't miss Scott Hamilton's shrieking every time somebody landed a jump.

13. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Are there videos? I like Johnny's commentary and I wanted to hear what he said about Josh.

14. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

on YouTube there are some Skate Canada 2013 NBC videos

15. gstrain

gstrain New Member

I'm not a Weir fan at all, but I thought he did a very good job as an analyst. He was very good at keeping things focused on the skater, while providing good insight. I like Tara better, but find her commentary lacking in insight and focus.

16. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Just watched Josh's program with the NBC commentary and I love the way Johnny commentates.

I know Terry Gannon is considered something of an institution, but I was honestly shrieking at my computer screen "SHUT UP!". Right in that gorgeous haunting beautiful step sequence is NOT the time to be rabbiting on about Patrick Chan and blah blah blah. SHUT UP and let me enjoy the skating! (Maybe Johnny got that and that was why he was already quiet?)

17. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Didn't watch it, but am glad that Johnny has been given this opportunity and that he did good. :)

18. Casey2

Casey2 Member

Johnny is a real treat after Scotty and Sandra.

19. aftershocks

Hopefully you will get to catch Johnny's commentary this weekend. If possible, you should also check out Johnny's previous commentary for Ice Network at 2012 U.S. Nats. And his first foray in the commentary booth at 2010 Worlds for Universal Sports (where he and Tara first hit it off as a team). Johnny's commentary made 2012 U.S. Nats men's event a lot of fun to watch. Johnny coined some memorable phrases re Keegan Messing: "Fearless like a honey badger...," and re Jason Brown: "There's Jason Brown and his ponytail ... I know I'm excited to see that ponytail do some damage on this ice... Jason Brown and his coach Kori are just cool. They have such a happy energy ..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2H-dV6aww4

Johnny's commentary for IN actually helped make the others in the booth somewhat better. Johnny also that year made me appreciate Max Aaron's cool eyebrows. :lol: In addition, I thought Johnny's commentary during Jeremy Abbott's 2012 U.S. Nats fs (as the final skater of the entire event) was particularly special as Johnny gave us a perspective on the entire event in addition to making viewers anticipate and look forward to Worlds that year and to Nationals for the following year. It takes a rare ability to evoke those feelings in viewers. Above all, Johnny's respect for the skaters is palpable, as he has been there, done that. He knows to the bone what its like to be a competitive figure skater. He demonstrates a sensitivity to what that experience is, as well as being able to provide interesting technical insights and analysis that is fairly on the mark without being OTT hype, or biased, or disrespectful.

I thought Johnny was a bit restrained at first but he also seemed comfortable with this wonderful opportunity. Ultimately, he was able to give us some of that Johnny flavor while maintaining a balance for what both the network and the viewers expect. I was particularly appreciative of Johnny's ability to point out in a way that I haven't heard before, what it is that makes Patrick Chan a special skater. Johnny did this without any over-hype, and both Terry and Johnny treated Patrick with respect while still being able to allude without any over-focus to the past controversies over some of Patrick's wins with mistakes. I now appreciate in a new way that it's not just Patrick's ability with the blades, but it's his gentle up-and-down knee action that gives him greater ice coverage and thus better use of his energy in comparison to most skaters who have a side-to-side knee action. And ain't that an interesting insight! :)

20. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I thought Johnny did a great job in today's broadcast. He really knows how to draw on his experience to explain what the skaters are doing and going through in addition to the technical aspects. Everything from the effect of Beijing air pollution on stamina to the difference between American and Russian coaching styles. Please, please, please let Johnny commentate at the Olympics instead of Scott.

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Johnny was fantastic! :cheer2: More Johnny please.

22. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Wow! Saw Johnny for the first time today and really enjoyed him! He said things I hadn't heard before and managed to restrain himself from saying bonkers things (Toller went off the edge at times). And he was entertaining (the sweating bit was funny). He'd be much better than Sandra and Scott(who always sounds like he's got hemarroids).

23. Blondie12

Blondie12 New Member

Johnny is a great commentator. He really infuses his commentary with the love he has for the sport and the respect he has for fellow skaters. Johnny knows these people personally so I am sure he has his own rivalries and favorites, but you would not know it from his commentary, he also tries to say nice things about each skater. He puts a very postive spin on things, and he also is good at explaining for the casual viewer. I predict he will be up in the big box for 2018.

I wonder how jonny will react in Sochi with the gay rights law. I am sure NBC an USOC is urging athletes not to bring it up, but I am sure some will or wear wristbands, etc. opposing the law. Jonny may be uncharacteristically quiet at NBC's urging....

24. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Wow - I continue to be so impressed with Johnny as commentator. He has such a smooth, mature voice...and mature comments...with an occasional funny quip. Just perfect.

25. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I find Johnny & Tanith, both, to be very articulate & informative.

26. aftershocks

^^ ITA, Tanith and Johnny both have a rare ability to talk intelligently, insightfully and entertainingly about figure skating and in the process keep the focus on the skaters and not on themselves (even being former top level stars of the sport, they are not pretentious prima donnas in the way they approach their commentary duties -- they are both classy and professional). They not only understand what it feels like to compete, they are both able to impart fresh and interesting observations to viewers with panache and eloquence. I'd also add that they both demonstrate great skill at interviewing skaters too! :)

ETA:

This!

Even tho' Johnny did indicate he felt Kovtun did better than Han overall in the Cup of China fp, I think it is obviously a true statement and not because Johnny tends to enjoy many Russian skaters. He made the comment as his own opinion but it was based on what both Han and Kovtun showed in the fp. Kovtun was stronger and perhaps less nervous in the fp. In fact Kovtun did win the fp but it wasn't enough overall to edge Han who was spectacular in the sp and pretty good in the fp. I do think Han and Kovtun are both stars in the making, but still need to work on their presentation skills, endurance and being consistent under competition pressure.

Too bad NBC doesn't devote a bit more time to showing pairs and ice dance at the GPs.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  27. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

Johnny has been doing really well as a commentator! I'm actually looking forward to what he's going to say. Good Job Johnny and keep it up like this!

28. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

I wish they would assign JW to do the commentary for the ladies as well as the mens events ...

tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  29. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Weir made an intriguing comment during Dennis Ten's free skate, about noticing a great leap forward in a skater's competition stamina if they have moved from a Russian-based coach to a US school - because "The Russian Way" is to treat every week as a competition, while US coaches expect skaters to train a complete SP and FS every day.

What does it mean to treat every week as a competition? Do the skaters not do complete program run throughs except at a weekly in-house competition? (Do they do dance-throughs, as gymnasts do, leaving out the most difficult tricks?)

30. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

You got your wish, Johnny is doing men's and ladies' commmentary this Sunday on NBC.