Johnny Weir joining NBC as skating analyst

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by victorskid, Oct 23, 2013.

1. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if Johnny is being groomed by NBC to eventually replace Scott. Scott may be thinking of retiring or at least not travelling overseas any longer.
  2. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

^I certainly hope so! So excited for this new opportunity for Johnny. I miss his skating, but I'm so glad that he'll be a part of the NBC Olympic coverage. Now, how to boot Hamilton and Bezic out...
  3. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Are they going to let him bling up his NBC jacket?
  4. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

LOL I'v always thought Randall from the Honey Badger videos sounded and reminded me of Johnny too.
  5. Jammers

And please NBC get rid of Tom Hammond and replace him with Terry Gannon and you'll have a broadcasting team people will want to hear. As people are saying it's time for some new blood.
  6. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I live in fear of more Tara. I don't get the love

But I am working on my drinking game if she gets the job. (One sip for every giggle, one gulp for every "when I skated" and down the drink for every reference to her as "the youngest Olympic champion" Only problem is I may be drunk very early LOL!)
  7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

That article from Johnny was lovely - particularly the parts about his mom.
  8. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

OK, had to laugh here and it was too early for me to give you rep again. Hopefully Johnny can tone down Tara's "me, me, me" and Tara can keep Johnny out of la-la (or should I say "Gaga") land. Still think this will work out well just based on their energy together
  9. Jammers

Johnny has shown in the past that he can tone it down such as at US Nationals 2012 during the Men's competition. As for Tara's "me me me" i'm not so sure.
  10. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Jesus, Joseph and Mary Lou Retton, we get it. You don't like Tara. You're a Kwan devotee and you can't stand the girl who beat her for the ultimate gold medal. Got it. Got it. Got it 5,000 posts ago. Now go buy a calendar that doesn't read 1998 anymore.

Back to Johnny, lovely article. It made me teary-eyed. Very well-written and brimming with class. He'll make a fine addition to NBC.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:cheer:

From one of my previous posts in a recent Johnny thread:
    See ya in Sochi, Johnny (I hope in the broadcast booth or somewhere with a microphone)!!!

My wish come true. Johnny's commentary from 2011 U.S. Nationals was a keeper and worth hearing more than once. He received kudos from some of the skaters too for his wit and insights. Congrats, Johnny! Perhaps your stint in Sochi on NBC might turn out to be the most fun you ever had at an Olympics.

Na zdorovie :40beers:
  12. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thank you, Johnny!
    He is a terrific writer.
  13. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

He's terrific all the way around. I'm very happy for him.
  14. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

So happy Johnny will be joining the broadcast team, looking forward to watching him in Sochi, I wonder if NBC may consider sending him to Boston as well?
    BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  15. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Bringing in Johnny/ Tara/ Tanith is a great move by NBC. Young, eloquent, sharp people who are experts in the sport (and who are also glamorous and opinionated, which should entertain the public). Looking forward! I am sure we'll all disagree with them a thousand times, but it's part of the fun.
  16. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Well, blind Freddie could see this one coming. After all the hype, all the "I'm going to skate in Sochi!", of course he's retired. It was blindingly obvious from the moment his SP finished at CoR last year.

What happens about the money that was donated to him (after he begged shamelessly for it on Twitter) that was supposed to go to his training expenses? I think they should be entitled to a refund.

And it's funny that he mentions "champions know when to retire" well, you didn't, Johnny, because your time was four years ago, not now.
  17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    Your bias is showing!
  18. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

19. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Haven't read the thread, just read the news, and my immediate thought was Johnny's selection was probably based on his potential to fill the void left by Mr. Button ~ cerebral, witty, sarcastic at times, funny, and knowledgeable. Congratulations, Johnny! :cool:
  20. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

For the record, Johnny said he would BE in Sochi...he didn't say he would compete there.
  21. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Ha and surely the sour grapes from those who love to gripe about anything Johnny-related could be predicted too, misskarne! At least we can score one for "blind Freddie" in a very positive way. :D

Unless you happened to donate money yourself, what's your worry?

Johnny may wish he'd done some things differently in his career if he was able to do them over, but I doubt his decision to make the effort to come back is one of the things he would change.

It's kind of funny that you are able to tell us all about when athletes need to give it up and retire, misskarne.
  22. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Just read the thread and the additional news about Tanith & Tara. Tanith I don't mind because I never watch ice dance. However, I'll be honest Tara I'm not particularly thrilled about. I don't care for her voice nor her self-absorption nor her self, which is the way she comes across to me when I have seen her on t.v. However, will try to keep an open mind. And after all 2 out of 3 ain't bad, lol. :D

ps: I do love Tara's house though, built in the style of GWTW (one of my favorite all-time movies & books), and also she posted one of thee most loveliest pictures ever on IN's twitter feed a couple of months ago ~ a picture of her on an old-fashioned swing underneath a huge antique tree with lush greenery all around her and I think her dog was in the picture. :)
  23. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Thrilled to hear this news about Johnny--Tara and Tanith too!
  24. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

This is great news. Nice to see that he has announced his retirement and is moving on to a new chapter.
  25. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I saw on espn (surprise!) today that Johnny has retired. Good for him. This gets rid of all the speculation about his return. He can enjoy life now. I just wish he had won an Olympic medal at some point. His best chance was in 2006.
  26. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

EXACTLY!! Johnny's comentary has always been clever, insightful, and most of all, honest without being demeaning-a characteristic that would do well in ANY media connected to a sport like Figure Skating. Fall as they may, there will never be a man, woman, or team that would say "I came here to lose, so fifth place is right where I wanted to be.." Johnny has the sensitivity and presence of mind NOT to throw comments out there that will be hurtful to others. His critiques are funny as well as clever. I canot wait to see what he does with "Trankov'sPants!!!!"
  27. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

I DID donate money to Johnny's comeback fund..and I don't want ANY of it back!! To me, he has given me so much joy throughout his career, that he can keep any money I sent as a gift!! Meeting him after Ice Dreams 2011 is one of the highlights of this so-called life! He was the most amazingly gracious host durig the VIP afterparty!! he was so tired, and never once let on that he didn't have an hour apiece for the approximately 50 or so of us there.. Completely selfless, kind, funny and generous with both his time and his attention. You would have thought HE was there to see US...
  28. Carolla5501

Please tell me why not liking Tara's commentator skills makes me a Kwan devotee.

Oh I get it ...only your views are acceptable.

Since I am not changing my mind due to your insults you can always just put me on ignore.
  29. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Oh please. It's not about views. You live for Tara references so you can bash her. If you want to keep doing it, continue on. I don't want to deny you the great joy it obviously brings you in what must be a lacking life.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  30. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Same with me, Johnny showed me such kindness every time I saw him after ice shows at his training rink, he remembered me and my family and was always so amazed that people waited to see him.
  31. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I think that despite his come back last year not being the one he nor his fans wanted, at least he had the courage to actually get on the ice at a grand prix and try. That is a lot more than many other "comeback" skaters ever do.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  32. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM New Member

My thoughts exactly!

I'll be tuning in NBC on Sunday to listen to Johnny's "analysis." :)
  33. B.Cooper

B.Cooper New Member

34. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

My dreams have just come true! I hope that he doesn't push the envelope/stretch his luck with the Russian Gvt. but, heck, if he does the entire NBC Sochi coverage will become far more interesting.
  35. Jammers

I'm sure Johnny has been told that he needs to be a professional at all times while working for NBC and that he can't do anything controversial. Johnny can keep himself under control when he wants to.
  36. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Johnny Weir tweeted overnight and today:
    He'll be on NBC's Skate Canada broadcast later this afternoon (4-6 pm Eastern; check your local listings).
  37. Carolla5501

I did not get to watch a of this. (Hope the DVR worked) but I thought he was doing a good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  38. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I thought Johhny did an utterly fantastic job commentating on Skate Canada. Professional, articulate, informative!!!! :kickass:
    skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  39. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I thought. Nice to have commentary from someone who actually understands the system.
  40. DreamSkates

DreamSkates New Member

Skate Canada commentating - too much talking while skaters are performing - I'm trying to listen to the music and soak in the skate! Save the comments afterward. Much of what he said today he repeated when they replayed some of the moves, which is a better place to talk more than during the performance.
    EDIT - also mean to add that the comments were appropriate and informative, just too much during the skate.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013