Johnny Weir joining NBC as skating analyst

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by victorskid, Oct 23, 2013.

1. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Great - that should be interesting. I hope I get to see some videos with him commentating.

2. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Fantastic news. A great hire for NBC, and a long time coming - imagine, a Russian speaking skating analyst, who (if NBC is smart) can also do interviews with the Russian champs. And maybe even a few background interviews Russian fans and volunteers.

Weir is a smart man with a charming personality.

Tara's very personable, but her after-competition chats were better than her play by play.

3. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

I think the pairing of the two of them is wonderful, they both have a great understanding of COP and terrific on-air personalities. That said, they will have to learn to reign themselves in a bit to stay on topic about the competition and the skaters. Johnny will need to tone down his penchant for being provocative and outrageous and Tara will need to stop talking so much about herself. I look forward to their commentaries and Tanith's. Yay, something besides just the tired monotony of Scott and Sandra!!!

4. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

A good decision for Johnny and great news for all of us, as we'll get to enjoy his commentary. He's always entertaining and I think he will help increase the ratings. I hope he has a safe and wonderful time in Sochi.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I loved Johnny's commentary on Ice Network in 2012. When he covered the men's competition, he was articulate, knowledgeable, and humorous. He didn't put anyone down. He also didn't "me, me, me.." I'm thrilled.

6. Made4Dancin

Made4Dancin New Member

7. HisWeirness

HisWeirness LYUBOV HAS BEEN FREED!

Whee! Excellent news. :D It's great that Johnny will be in Sochi! :) :cheer:

Got to make sure I catch that Skate Canada broadcast on Sunday.

8. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

Very happy to hear this news! I really enjoyed his commentary on Ice Network and it's great that he will have a much wider audience!

Thanks for the article, Sylvia. It was very poignant and well written. Wishing Johnny all the best as he transitions into the next phase of his career!

9. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

10. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

YIPPEE!!! Tara and Johnny - what a great pairing!!! :) I'm so happy to hear this news!! I totally agree with your post, NBC does need to phase out Scott and Sandra and replace with Tara and Johnny!!:)

11. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if Johnny is being groomed by NBC to eventually replace Scott. Scott may be thinking of retiring or at least not travelling overseas any longer.

12. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

^I certainly hope so! So excited for this new opportunity for Johnny. I miss his skating, but I'm so glad that he'll be a part of the NBC Olympic coverage. Now, how to boot Hamilton and Bezic out...

13. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Are they going to let him bling up his NBC jacket?

14. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

LOL I'v always thought Randall from the Honey Badger videos sounded and reminded me of Johnny too.

15. Jammers

And please NBC get rid of Tom Hammond and replace him with Terry Gannon and you'll have a broadcasting team people will want to hear. As people are saying it's time for some new blood.

16. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I live in fear of more Tara. I don't get the love

But I am working on my drinking game if she gets the job. (One sip for every giggle, one gulp for every "when I skated" and down the drink for every reference to her as "the youngest Olympic champion" Only problem is I may be drunk very early LOL!)

17. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

That article from Johnny was lovely - particularly the parts about his mom.

18. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

OK, had to laugh here and it was too early for me to give you rep again. Hopefully Johnny can tone down Tara's "me, me, me" and Tara can keep Johnny out of la-la (or should I say "Gaga") land. Still think this will work out well just based on their energy together

19. Jammers

Johnny has shown in the past that he can tone it down such as at US Nationals 2012 during the Men's competition. As for Tara's "me me me" i'm not so sure.

20. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Jesus, Joseph and Mary Lou Retton, we get it. You don't like Tara. You're a Kwan devotee and you can't stand the girl who beat her for the ultimate gold medal. Got it. Got it. Got it 5,000 posts ago. Now go buy a calendar that doesn't read 1998 anymore.

Back to Johnny, lovely article. It made me teary-eyed. Very well-written and brimming with class. He'll make a fine addition to NBC.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  21. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:cheer:

From one of my previous posts in a recent Johnny thread:
    See ya in Sochi, Johnny (I hope in the broadcast booth or somewhere with a microphone)!!!

My wish come true. Johnny's commentary from 2011 U.S. Nationals was a keeper and worth hearing more than once. He received kudos from some of the skaters too for his wit and insights. Congrats, Johnny! Perhaps your stint in Sochi on NBC might turn out to be the most fun you ever had at an Olympics.

Na zdorovie :40beers:

22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thank you, Johnny!
    He is a terrific writer.

23. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

He's terrific all the way around. I'm very happy for him.

24. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

So happy Johnny will be joining the broadcast team, looking forward to watching him in Sochi, I wonder if NBC may consider sending him to Boston as well?

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  25. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Bringing in Johnny/ Tara/ Tanith is a great move by NBC. Young, eloquent, sharp people who are experts in the sport (and who are also glamorous and opinionated, which should entertain the public). Looking forward! I am sure we'll all disagree with them a thousand times, but it's part of the fun.

26. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Well, blind Freddie could see this one coming. After all the hype, all the "I'm going to skate in Sochi!", of course he's retired. It was blindingly obvious from the moment his SP finished at CoR last year.

What happens about the money that was donated to him (after he begged shamelessly for it on Twitter) that was supposed to go to his training expenses? I think they should be entitled to a refund.

And it's funny that he mentions "champions know when to retire" well, you didn't, Johnny, because your time was four years ago, not now.

27. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    Your bias is showing!

28. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

29. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Haven't read the thread, just read the news, and my immediate thought was Johnny's selection was probably based on his potential to fill the void left by Mr. Button ~ cerebral, witty, sarcastic at times, funny, and knowledgeable. Congratulations, Johnny! :cool:

30. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

For the record, Johnny said he would BE in Sochi...he didn't say he would compete there.