Johnny Weir joining NBC as skating analyst

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by victorskid, Oct 23, 2013.

1. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

He just announced on The Today Show his official retirement from skating and that he's joining NBC as a skating analyst, including for the Olympics.

2. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

:40beers: Now this is interesting and could be a good thing for NBC, skating fans, and potential fans. Judging by his outing last year doing some commentary, he was pretty good at it. Maybe this is the sort of analyst NBC needs to help bridge the gap between viewers and the inscrutable judging system. Wonder what disciplines he will be commentating and how Scotty/Sandra/whomever else is on the broadcast roster fits into this with him.

3. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Just as long as they don't put a leash on him and let him say whatever the hell he wants to say, I'm good with that. Now THAT could provide some very entertaining television. :lol:

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  4. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

Awesome!! I think NBC is smart to hire him. Can't wait to see him in Sochi.

5. Made4Dancin

Made4Dancin New Member

This is the best of all possible outcomes. I'm so excited and happy for Johnny, NBC and mother Russia. Think about what it all means. It's going to be great. :cheer:

6. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm delighted.
    I hope that this works to his benefit.

8. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Yes! I love his commentary!
    Honey badger don't care!

9. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

Just a question: Why does it say "analyst" and not "commentator"? I hope that does not mean that NBC wants him just in the background.

I really hope he gets a chance to actually go to Russia and be his usual self (some commentators work without being at the rinks).

10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I wonder if analyst means he will be in the studios after events giving overall views, rather than PBP real time commentary.
    I also wonder if that means he will be kept in the US.

11. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Woo hoo!! Good for Johnny. He'll be great.

12. nickerspoodle

nickerspoodle New Member

Wonder if he'll be paired with Tara Lipinsky....They did a great job previously.

13. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

I would assume he will be behind the scenes and not actually doing the play by play.

14. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

If he is in Sochi, Johnny will have the "protective identity" of NBC around him.

15. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/20...in-nbc-olympics-sochi-figure-skating/related/

16. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Brilliant! Congratulations, Johnny.

17. Made4Dancin

Made4Dancin New Member

Well during the announcement he said "If I get arrested, I get arrested." So I thought that meant he was going to Sochi. I don't think they'll arrest him in NYC. He'll probably be like Andrea Joyce. Doing interviews and explaining specifics about elements, etc.

18. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Agreed that Johnny and Tara will probably serve the function of Andrea Joyce in the past. Still! Great to get some new blood in there. And PUH-LEASE let this be a sign that eventually Scott and Sandra will be phased out. It would really be nice to have commentators who have competed under the current judging system and have something to add other than "it's so difficult to understand!".

Then again, Johnny frequently had problems counting his jumping passes, so maybe he just proves Scott right :p

:cheer2:

19. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

They did do well together, but I'd pay good money to see him paired with Scott Hamilton instead. :EVILLE:

20. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

This is wonderful news to wake up to! I knew Johnny was going to get to Sochi one way or another!!!:lol:

21. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Did he say this again? Because he gave an interview where he said that quite awhile ago. I thought that the quote was just being reused.

I hope he goes to Sochi though.

22. Made4Dancin

Made4Dancin New Member

+1 :hat1:

23. Sylvia

24. Made4Dancin

Made4Dancin New Member

25. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

YAY for Johnny! He was such a beautiful skater but I do think his time has passed. He's still a great draw for skating shows and will definitely be a draw as a commentator. I love his honesty and I'm hoping he'll bring a little bit of color to the commentary. Both he and Tara Lipinski have been hired by NBC for Sochi and I'm happy to hear it. I vastly preferred Tara's commentary to Tonia K.'s ceaseless yapping...

26. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee! :40beers: This could be fabulous or an epic disaster. I hope it's the former.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Sylvia

Johnny's farewell to competitive skating: http://fcnp.com/2013/10/23/johnnys-world-the-ice/
    http://instagram.com/p/f0E8CQBhW0/

28. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

I like this sentence of his in his well-written newspaper column: "part of being a champion is knowing when your time is up". He was a great skater; I truly loved to watch him skate. But it was sad to witness his last competitive efforts one year ago in Espoo.

29. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Johnny and Tara did background commentary and after-the-fact analysis for Universal Sports (then NBC) for the 2010 World Championships. They were quite good . I found they had more empathy for the skaters than Bezic, Hamilton, Carruthers et al who seem to be more in tune with skating establishment. Johnny talked about what he liked/disliked about the skaters' musical interpretation, and Tara talked about what she would do to make each skater more competitive if she were coaching them.

30. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Yeah, I loved them and Johnny had some brilliant moments. But there's a fine line between being refreshingly candid and saying something that will get you in trouble, so I hope that he is able to be himself without making any unintentionally controversial statements that might get him in trouble with NBC.