Johnny Weir in NYC

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Marge_Simpson, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

2. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Check Johnny's website for full schedule of all book signings. Johnny will be spending much of January on a book signing tour.

3. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Has anyone read it? Is there a thread about the book itself?

4. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

5. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Boy. If it's true that the FS community frowns about coming outs, that picture says he feels the pressure off now. Weir should have been twenty in the 80s, next to Andy Warhol and Elio Fiorucci.

6. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Amazing cover! LOL!!! I can just hear the music..."Welcome to my World, Won't you come on in."

7. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I've pre-ordered for my kindle! Great cover!!!!

8. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I've just seen that JW will be at the Barnes & Noble in Toledo on Janary 17 at 12 noon to sign his new book. I thought it might be of interest to his fans in the Toledo/Detroit area. :)

9. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

10. reese

reese Well-Known Member

When did he have time to write a book? I'm assuming it's ghostwritten?

11. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Nope. I believe he wrote it all by himself (however I'm sure with a sharp editor's guidance).

12. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

13. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

14. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

It is normal for one to get a book tour? I guess I'm just surprised his book is generating this much attention.

15. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

What is the point of heels? :rolleyes:

16. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Got your attention didn't it...

We have the "point" ATTENTION LOL!

17. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Isn't the book tour to generate interest? I imagine with the tour you would sell books to people who otherwise wouldn't bother to pick it up.

18. Carolla5501

I have seen "book tours" for books that never went anywhere. Some of your top authors never do tours.... just depends.

19. REO

REO New Member

I guess really popular authors don't need to tour. People wait for their next book. A first timer or someone like Johnny needs to tour. He's also hitting many of the talk shows to bring attention to his book (and his song). I definitely want to read it. He's always said he will name names in his book and I was all for that. I have a feeling he semi sold me out, though I know at least one person contacted him and asked for a pseudonym. I guess I shall see in a few days. lol

20. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it's generating attention until we see how many people show up at the signings - and how many books get sold.

I also hope that Johnny realizes that publicizing a book through interviews and signings has its moments, but can also be really tedious and unglamorous....

21. luCN

luCN New Member

oh,I really hope next time I can see something about him relate to skating...

hope the book contain more intersting things,not too much personal life or sex as some artical once said...

and please please stop trying the music things,unless you can find a better songwriter and prodector...

22. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Book tours are not that unusual, even well known authors like Mary Higgins Clark, James Patterson and Stephanie Evanovich do book tours. It's a way for them to meet their readers and introduce their books to a new audience. When Stephanie Evanovich appeared at the Paramus Barnes and Nobles, there had to be over 200 people on line to meet her.

23. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I think you mean Janet Evanovich. Stephanie Plum is the lead character in her books.

And I have seen a number of well-publicized signings at my local book store where authors were sitting there twiddling their thumbs and hoping that someone would come up and talk to them. I don't doubt that well known authors don't have any problems getting people to their signings; cooks also do pretty well at signings, even not-really-famous cooks, if they cook something and share it as well as signing books. But newer authors don't have that guaranteed audience.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  24. Carolla5501

I know... I find it very difficult to walk past those poor authors who now one wants to deal with. But the last time I stopped the poor guy's book was one of the worst things ever written so I am leary of them now!

25. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

26. REO

REO New Member

I watched that. Yeah that was a suprise! LOL I think they put that banner up twice but when Isaac introduced him he said two time Olympian, not champion.
    Boy that one designer is a bastid isn't he?!!!