Johnny Weir as commentator at US Nationals

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by n*ice mom, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Pikachuusb

Pikachuusb Active Member

We thought Johnny's commentary was wonderful. My boyfriend would love for a Button Weir commentary fest. I'll add Terry Gannon into that mix :)

I have never been a Lipinski fan, but Tara has been a good commentator.

Get rid of, Hammond, Scott, Tonia & Sandra Bezic :p

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

If I have to hear Scott screech through one more triple jump and then tell me how hard that it was to do on tired legs at the end of a program...

I can even deal with him repeating things over and over but the screeching is unbearable. You are a skating icon, are you really THAT excited to see another poorly done 3toe? Was the 3lutz really that scary for you to watch? Did you think they were possibly going to die if they didn't land it?

3. Pikachuusb

Pikachuusb Active Member

:rofl::lol:

4. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Was that Sarah Hughes doing the Ladies LP on the IN? My God she has an awful voice. She didn't have much to say that was interesting either.

5. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

He was around at the booth for a short while prior to the warm-up, but then disappeared for a bit and rushed back just in time to begin commenting. So maybe he got caught up in the halls or hospitality -- he definitely did rush back to first begin his SP commentary. :)

I sat in the first row directly behind the IceNetwork booth (platform, really) all through out Nationals. (I made friends with the audio contractor guy... and who knew there was a team of well over 30 IceNetwork employees at Nationals to make the live commentary feeds happen? About 10 around the platform, and a few dozen back in the production semi).

I had many friends texting and facebook-ing me to tell Johnny they loved his commentary, since they all knew I was sitting about 12 feet away from him. I told him some friends were loving his commentary, and he said:

"Of course. No one cares about the jumps. It's all about the hair and glam!"

This of course, coming from the man who wore multiple fur coats... in NorCal for 50-60*F high temperatures ( :rofl: :yikes: :slinkaway). Many not-officiating officials and coaches were sitting nearby and listening to him on their Skate Bug Radios... and seemed to be getting a kick out of him, at least.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  6. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

:rofl: I really need to watch more TV and get better browsing skills, I miss some of the funniest things.

I can only imagine how funny he was, I hated liking him as a skater because as a competitor at times I wanted to shake him, but everything I loved about him probably comes across all that much more in his commentary. He can't forget to add a double toe to a good snark :40beers:

7. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I would really like him to not do a comeback so that he can commentate more...

8. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Tonia K did commentary. Sarah did the tweets and the Ice Desk at times.

9. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

I'm one of those weirdos who enjoys commentating, unless it is done by Scott, Sandra, or Tonia Kwiatkowski. Johnny goes a pretty good job. I wish he could replace Scott Hamilton. I simply cannot stomach Hamilton's Defcon level 19 screeching.

Johnny and Tara would make a good pair, IMO. She's somewhat dry and informative, and he's more expressive. Hair comments welcome.

10. mjames

mjames New Member

I thought Johnny was top rate. :cool:
    There was a softer more professional tone on the FS coverage-- I thought at least. He is very natural and quick on his feet. I am soooooo excited for his return to competition! :kickass:

11. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Johnny was doing the icedesk with Peter C. prior to the short program.

12. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I thought Johnny was funny and didn't take the role too seriously. You could tell he was having fun with it. He had something positive to say about most if not all the skaters and kudos to him for that.

I actually think he has a nice commentating voice and when he did speak about the technical side of things, they made sense. If he could tone down the fluff about hair/eyebrows and costumes just a little IMO he would make a :kickass: commentator.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think skating needs someone fun like Johnny to lighten things up and make people laugh. It made a nice change from Peter C and Scott Hamilton. IMO

13. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

Johnny's commentary was a lot of fun--he isn't repetitive and he is au courant with current skating, allowing him to make meaningful comments as well as light, frivolous ones.

I appreciated the fact that, by the time Jeremy had skated his short, and certainly during the long, Johnny had lost any hint of patronizing tone toward the person who will be his closest competitor if he does return.

I think he's wrong, though, about Jeremy's "foot warmers" in the short program. The choice of spats and even the "high water" pants has to have been intentional, given that team's attention to detail. The spats make JA's feet/footwork stand out even more than otherwise while the too-short pants adds an element of insouciance--just a young working guy from the late 1930s out dancing after work.

14. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

^ High-waisted pants were very common throughout the 1930s. Just watch any movie from that period and you'll see most actors wearing them. I think they started to go out of style during WWII, when people were trying to conserve resources. As for spats, they were still around during the early Swing Era, so Jeremy's costume is appropriate for the music.

15. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

There was someone else with her commentating for the ladies FS, though. Kim Navarro? Whoever it was did a terrible job. Tonia can be a big :yawn: but the other female commentator didn't even know what a haircutter spin was called.

Now, what I REALLY want to see is Johnny commentating ladies - or better yet, dance. :rofl:

16. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I think it was Sarah Hughes in the booth with Tonia.

17. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

That's what Tonia is for. To call all the haircutters. ;)

18. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I now think of her as Tonia "haircutter" Kwiatkowski. Or Tonia "they dropped the right side" Kwiatkowski... :scream:

And then of course there's Mr. Nancy, who actually had an opinion this Nationals.

19. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:lol: I kind of agree with you. Or maybe Johnny can commentate at the Sochi Olympics and participate, at the least in the team competition!

Definitely Johnny's commentary for IN at Nats this year was great overall. He was funny and insightful, although he was a bit too talkative during the sp. During the men's lp, Johnny had settled in and he did a no-nonsense, amazing job. IMO, Johnny deserves an award for his commentary -- he was that good. I particularly enjoyed his ability to provide great insights in a concise yet informative and engaging way. The men skated well and there was a lot of excitement and triumphant, redemptive moments for both Adam and Jeremy in the last group. Johnny's commentary was very eloquent throughout and especially in those triumphant moments of Adam's and Jeremy's performances. I particularly enjoyed how Johnny painted a picture of what the competition meant while setting the stage for anticipating future competitions:

Absolutely beautiful, breathtaking performance from Jeremy ...
    The thing about the National Championships is that it always produces moments like what Jeremy just had. The standing ovation, the audience that's completely behind you, loving every second of you on the ice. And that's what makes the U.S. National Championships so special. And not only was it a great performance for Jeremy. That was the last firework that goes off at this National Championships. That was the last competitive performance we'll see. And to end it on such a great note, makes everyone look forward to and ahead to not only the World Championships, but [to] the National Championships next year in Omaha.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.