Johnny Weir as commentator at US Nationals

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by n*ice mom, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Subway

Subway New Member

We've got so many lousy figure skating commentators though - who know nothing. Rod Black makes me cringe. Tom Hammond knows horses better than figure skating. Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic ought to know more about figure skating but often don't act like it, talking about non-judged stuff and making people think it's judging criteria. At least Weir is entertaining and does the job well, especially if you want to grade on a curve. I think so.

2. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

No, he did not. They parted amicably.

I agree, Johnny would never insult Pricilla.

As far as his commentary, I didn't get to hear it. Wish I had. But, isn't this his first time? A learning experience, he'll grow into it and get better with time. Tanith sounded like a 12 year old when she first started, now she sounds good.

3. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

He did commentary on 2010 Worlds Ladies and Men's events for Universal Sports.

4. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

^^ Well, that was just general comments at the end of each segment of competition. I think this was his first time doing play-by-play commentary. I thought he did a very good job. He talked a bit too much, maybe tried too hard to be funny in the beginning with the constant hair critiques, but he settled in quite nicely and gave a lot of constructive criticism on spins, jumps and steps, interpretation, etc.

Methinks a Tara-Johnny pairing would be my dream team! :swoon:

5. Subway

Subway New Member

Well now you've just spoiled it. :p

6. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I did not get to see Johnny commentating, but reading this thread I am cracking up at some of Johnny's comments. He sounds like a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stale and bland field of current commentators, but of course I am biased because I love Johnny...off to search you tube to see if I can find a video clip.

7. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

I'm the kind of person who wants to watch my figure skating commentary-free. But if we HAVE to have a commentator, I prefer Johnny. Some of the fashion/hair talk was a little OTT, but when he did talk about the actual skating, it was informative even for those of us who are knowledgeable skating fans. Most other commentators dumb everything down, even on IN, where it's assumed that the only people subscribing are more than just casual fans.

8. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

He got honey badger from college football. It was the nickname given this year to LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu, because he is small, but very aggressive. It's actually not very original.

9. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I thought that Johnny was terrific. When I first heard that he was commentating, I was a little nervous, this from a long-time fan of Johnny th e person and Johnny the skater. But, he was articulate, complimentary, not a snark, he infused wit , he did his homework. Let IN know, I did.

10. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I listened to Johnny's commentary via Skate Radio (in the arena) for the Men's Short Program.
    I found it to be entertaining as well as informative.

11. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

That's a good idea; what e-mail address would I use if I wanted to offer feedback?

12. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

This! I was DYING laughing at his commentary, eyebrows and all. The comments about presentation were very insightful. I will take him any day of the week over Scott and Sandra, whose commentary made me :rolleyes: :mad: :scream:

I'm tired of Tonia only telling us about the skater dropping a shoulder (especially on jumps where it's obvious that wasn't the problem). She's dry and boring, though to her credit she doensn't talk too much.

13. soxxy

soxxy Guest

What got me was Tonia would talk during the entire performance, then as soon as the skater stopped, she stopped talking. She waited a minute for them to get in the K&C to talk again.

14. leigh466

leigh466 Active Member

I just do not see how anyone could complain about Johnny or even poor Tonia after listening to Scott and Sandra. They are SOOOO awful; words could not possibly describe how pitiful they are. They say nothing informative. They do not ID the jumps. They do not understand the scoring system, so they cannot explain it. When Jeremy has just landed his quad and is about to give us a masterpiece, they keep blathering on and on about nothing rather than letting us enjoy the skating unfolding before our eyes. They jinx every skater by talking about a fall and then it happens (LOL, joking, but still, it is really annoying how that continually happens! lol) They are redundant in their idiocy, and just plain dumber than a sack of rocks!

Johnny was silly sometimes about hair or eyebrows or whatever, but 95% of the time he gave insightful commentary, praised each skater, knew for real what they had done wrong approaching a botched jump, understood the scoring system, could appreciate the difficulty of spin positions and tell us, etc. etc. If I kept thinking I could go on and on. The comparison is so glaring. johnny=knows what he is talking about. Scott and Sandra=Do Not Know What they are talking about, or do not care to act as if they do. Both should. Why they are so insipid is beyond me.

15. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

But didn't the LSU people get it from the Randall video?

16. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Not to mention the fact that I kind of doubt Johnny watches football, much less college football.

If you haven't listened to the 2nd half of the men that just went up on demand on IN, I think you'll find a very different Johnny. I don't know if they asked him to tone it down, or if he was just a little nervous during the short, but in this segment he is calm, restrained and very selective in his commentary, with nary a mention of fashion or hair. Still some funny quips, though, with a pointed reprise of his honey badger remark (I'm guessing he got a lot of comments on that one :lol: ).

And once again, Johnny found something positive to call out about every skater, even as he might have also been pointing out errors. I really enjoyed hearing his thoughts. :)

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:respec: Love him! Hope IN keeps him.

18. jlai

jlai Title-less

Just to add, I think I like Johnny's voice as a commentator. Not annoying like errr...Scott's

19. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

The honey badger reference also could have come from Glee last year.

20. Michalle

Michalle New Member

Y'all, if there was a honey badger reference other than the youtube video posted on this thread, then it was in itself a homage to the youtube video... the youtube video came first, became a big hit, and lots of pop culture references to the video came later.

21. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

The entire honey badger phenomenon started with this viral video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

LSU's player got his nickname from that. Johnny probably doesn't watch much college football so I would think he got the reference from the original video although anything is possible, haha

22. fluorescein

fluorescein New Member

23. kwanette

If you are on Twitter or Facebook you could do it there. There is also "Contact" on IN's home page.

24. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Just saw it - it is for pistachio nuts. It has a voiceover from the viral video.

To me, this is the original honey badger film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOrdXpM9vOw

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  25. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

26. meggonzo

meggonzo Well-Known Member

He said it was from youtube in the Ice Desk segment with Peter Carruthers after the men's short.

27. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

After listening to Sarah Hughes, I thought Johnny Weir was brilliant.

28. kwanette

Jeremy Abbott@jeremyabbottpcf

Watching @icenetwork impressed with @JohnnyGWeir commentary! Great job!

29. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

One more thing in Johnny's favor- I went to rewatch Adam's and Jeremy's programs on icenetwork. I strongly prefer no talking during the actual programs, and was really concerned that the constant chatter would ruin it for me. And was so pleasantly surprised that Johnny was very concise and to the point - he named the jumps and had a few comments, but really put Adam and Jeremy center- stage. If anything , the female commentator ( was it Tonya?) - was more intrusive)
    So if Johnny actually shows sensitivity to when and how much to talk- then he's perfect for the job. I hope, whatever his competitive plans are, he continues commentating long- term.

30. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I was much happier with Johnny's amount of talking during the actual performances in the LP. I think that they should have let Tonia cover ladies only. She talked way too much. I was so looking forward to seeing Jonathan Cassar's performance, but was disappointed to see how much chatter there was during.