Johnny Weir as commentator at US Nationals

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by n*ice mom, Jan 28, 2012.

1. leigh466

leigh466 Active Member

I echo. He is a top-notch commentator. He teaches the audience why one performance outscores another while always staying positive about what a skater has just put out there. He is what has been missing in skating commentary for years. Loved his comments about Razzano and about Keegan Messing, showing an appreciation for wildly contrasting, yet both entertaining and nearly top-of-the pack performances. Good for Johnny!

2. sk8ers

sk8ers New Member

LOVING!! :D Completely entertaining and spot on in program critique. I almost wish we didn't have to go to live NBC feed over the weekend!!!! You get everything with Johnny--ranging from Sparkles and Hair to the comment during Jeremy's short: when a skater of his caliber/talent doesn't go to Worlds it looks bad on US Figure Skating!! He doesn't hold back!!!

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'm shocked, SHOCKED. ;)

4. leigh466

leigh466 Active Member

5. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Weir was funny. I suspect he offened the overly sensitive, but who cares. I laughed out loud multiple times and thoroughly enjoyed every snarky remark.

6. Marlowe

Marlowe Well-Known Member

His campy commentary doesn't work for me, but it's good to know that so many are enjoying it.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  7. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I believe Jeremy's boot covers were spats, and if I am correct, they were totally appropriate for the rest of his costume, his music and program, and it was the only wee little thing Johnny was wrong about all night. He was fabulous, colorful and informative. I learned more from him in one night than in years of listening to others, and there was room to spare--he did not talk all the time, just a lot, which I didn't mind at all. Great performance, sort of hope he doesn't return to competition and can do this instead for all competitions for a long time.

8. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

X_X

9. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

Overall, Johnny did a good job with the commentary, as long as he stuck mainly to what was happening on the ice.

A few appropriate snarks (oxymoron) were very good, but during the first half of Senior men; the never ending hair comments were just too much for me. I didn't count, but I would guess he made over 20 hair comments during skaters 1 to 10.

Johnny, we like (or love) you for who are...you need to don't shove it in my face while I'm watching footwork!

It did appear to me, that someone from IceNetwork may have said something to him, because he seemed quite a bit more focused and together in the second half.

Maybe it was nerves, in the first half, that led to his motormouthing. Once he felt comfortable and was in the zone, he was much better. At that point, he was very, very good.

Overall, I must say, he did keep things entertaining. :rofl:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  10. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed Johnny's commentary last night. He seemed to understand that IN viewers are skating FANS and not casual viewers. I laughed out loud several times and that NEVER happens with Peter and Tonya!! However, he could have done less talking during the skates. I like to just enjoy the moments. I usually hate it when IN adds commentary to competitions but they can bring back Johnny anytime!

11. soxxy

soxxy Guest

This is exactly how I feel. I want to write him a fan letter. I think he even made Tonia better....not so boring.

12. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

13. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I am sorry, but

1. I don't care about the "good use of purple in his costume"
    2. I don't care about the "hairdo"
    3. I don't care about the eyebrows.....

What he's teaching is that "the look" is just as important as the skate (And if that were ACTUALLY true and his view counted he would have that Gold Medal!)

Until he quits acting like a "fashion commentator" in addition to a skating commentator BOO!

14. cameron

cameron New Member

I loved Weir's commentating. I agree that it was a bit too much at first and a bit disjointed...as if he ran to get there on time and was nervous and out of breath (which may have been part of it actually). And, I can see a little less emphasis on fashion and hair; and NONE Of it during a skate. But, he was so good at calling and explaining elements; so good at comparing and contrasting; so informed about about each skater and other things - like coaches and music. So good at pronouncing names. Seriously, I hope IN and NBC and I don't know who else make him full time. I know he wants to compete, but my gosh, he is a great commentator.

If he could hold back just a little more on detail during a skate - especially when it is a top skater - so we could get into and enjoy the program too, that would be great. But, best element caller and quality explainer; best COP commentator; best replay and wam up commentator I have ever heard. And, I love Button; in a different way love PJ Kwong too. But Weir is hands down fabulous and knowledgeable about this sport and its judging. And really he was so supportive of each skater and style too. That surprised and pleased me.

I agree that after they got used to each other, he made Tonya better. She is fine - but he is far more articulate (although you could hear her catching up and getting better, so kudos). Anyway, thanks IN - loved it!

15. Charlini

Charlini Active Member

ITA! :p

16. UDelpairs2012

UDelpairs2012 New Member

He seamed to just love the gays and hate on the straight ones...

17. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Really? Because he seemed to love on pretty much everyone. It's one thing I enjoyed about his commentary - he pointed out a positive aspect of each competitor's skating. (Unless, of course, you're implying that they're all gay. ;) ).

18. doubleflutz

doubleflutz New Member

Keegan "Honey Badger" Messing is gay?

19. UDelpairs2012

UDelpairs2012 New Member

20. n*ice mom

n*ice mom New Member

I think the honey badger is used in a current commercial too. It is supposed to be synonymous with 'fearless.' Where do you get anything else? Nevermind, don't answer that... you have taken us off-topic and are clearly reading too much into Johnny's commentating.

21. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I think those of us who enjoyed his commentary should tweet at Johnny to let him know :) I liked it, there were some laugh-out-loud moments there. Definitely better than Tonya/Mr. Nancy or the horrid Scott/Sandra combo!

22. Marty

Marty New Member

I did not enjoy Johnny's comments during the program.

His comments took away from the importance of the event. To the skaters, the event is not a joke...it is important.

Think about it...if any other of the commentators had said the comments about the costumes, people would have been up in arms. If it is inappropriate for others, it is also for Johnny.

Someone earlier in this thread said that overly sensitive people would not like what he said...I do not consider myself overly sensitive, just a figure skating fan who doesn't think the event should be trivialized (sp) by the commentators.

23. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

I liked Johnny a lot. A little mouthy at times, yes, but he's new at this, and most everything he said had a point. I think he gave me real insight on what it's like to compete and train, much more than Tonia does. Like when he was talking about jumps vs. steps and how fun jumps are to train vs. steps. Talking about costumes had a point, like when he said that Jeremy's spats broke up his line. Positive, honest and funny.

24. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I think Johnny is just reveling in the fact that as a commentator, he can lighten the mood of such a stressful environment as Nationals, the Worlds and Olympic trials, the most important event of the season for the skaters in North America. As a competitor, Nationals was "do or die time" for him; as a commentator, he can be as colorful, comedic, and relaxed as he wishes to be and he has earned that right. I think he tries to extinguish the stereotype that skating is filled with old, uptight, prim and proper snobs and he wants to open the sport to a younger, more fun audience (I'm not saying that older people can't be fun) and, IMO, there is not a thing wrong with wanting to change that perception. You don't have to take yourself so seriously all the time. ;)

25. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

LOL no, he is not. For the record.

26. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Going off-topic: Yes they were spats but IMO not appropriate to the program. Jeremy was doing big band which was mostly 1930's-40's; from Wikipedia: "Spats were primarily worn in the late 19th and early 20th centuries." By the time of big band, spats had mostly died out. Also in what century were high-water pants fashionable? I think Jeremy's costume is pretty bad.

Did you also think Dick Button trivialized the skating events? He said things like calling Sokalova "cupcake", he used rusty hoot, he wanted to put Nicole Bobek over his knee, etc. Being lighthearted about things doesn't mean you don't take them seriously. And I don't think the majority here would be "up in arms" if some other commentator made a few jokes during their commentary.

27. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Johnny is the honey badger of figure skating commentator!

28. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I was annoyed at first but then I just accepted it and began to think it was quite fabulous. He talked a little too much, though.

29. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I loved Johnny's commentating. He's a Dick Button for the 21st Century!!! More - more - MORE Johnny, puh-leeze!

30. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Lol he seems to love the youngins. We all know he's obsessed with Hanyu and kept going on and on about how wonderful Jason Brown and Josh Farris are. And I'm not saying that they aren't wonderful, they are, but Johnny's comments about Jason being bright and shiny and Josh having such a romantic interpretation of Claire De Lune made me giggle :lol:.