Johnny Weir as commentator at US Nationals

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by n*ice mom, Jan 28, 2012.

1. n*ice mom

n*ice mom New Member

Well Mens SP is on and I am just loving Johnny Weir as a commentator. So relaxed, articulate, and insightful.

I don't generally enjoy commentating because I find it takes away from the performances... whether the passioniately hyper or insipidly simple.

Tonya, by comparison to Johnny, struggles to come up with something meaningful to say and instead delivers only the obvious and in a way that I think either insults the listener's intelligence or the skater's skating. Take the commentary on Jonathan Cassar...Tonya said that because he only has a double axel he has to work extra hard on other elements to make up for it, but Johnny pointed out that while the program was a lesser degree of technical difficulty the program was one of the most proficiently executed. She sounds critical, while Johnny sounds like he is giving a thoughtful critique just like a protocol. And does Tonya even know the COP? She never seems to point out that there is a -3 GOE for doing less than the required rotations or not having the required combo...she just says something like "he will credit for that single/double but it will just be less points."

Johnny, you are a natural born commentator. Your comments are intelligent and celebrate skating. Bravo!

2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I was completely annoyed at first. The gushing over Adam Rippon was :rolleyes: (and I'm a Rippon fan). But he has improved. I just wish he would talk less. I don't want to hear yammering through the entire program.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I think Johnny is doing a great job as well. He was meant to do this!:)

4. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

I agree. Less talk. I would rather hear the skater's music than hear Weir make a pointless and silly comment about a skater's hair.

5. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

when johnny sticks to the skating comments he is great, when he thinks that he needs to tell us about hair, sparkles, "real hair" color, etc. that is :rolleyes: I want him to stick to the skating and tell us what about the skating is good or why that makes it a great jump, spin, footwork sequence.

I want snarky comments about fashion, hair, costumes from FSU, where one can skim over or block them out if one chooses to do so.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Chris_E

Chris_E Active Member

Completely agree. Just talk about the skating and he's great.

7. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

He is KILLING me :rofl:

8. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

eurosport does it best

9. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

Me too. I'm going to have to rewatch all of this later. Fantastic entertainment and I've learned some things too.

10. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Same! He was born for this- he's fun and informative to listen to...unlike the other two.

11. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

Very indifferent to his skating but BEST. COMMENTATOR. EVER.

12. iarispiralllyof

someone on twitter said that johnny congratulated one of the skaters on leaving priscilla?

jeez

13. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Forget IceNetwork, Johnny should host the Oscars next year. And do the post-game gown judging.

14. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

ITA. He's the funniest, snarkiest commentator ever.

15. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Not exactly. It was more along the lines of the skater left Priscilla and the move seemed to be working out for him and congratulations on a well-skated SP. I didn't get an insult to Priscilla out of that.

16. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I think about half of his commentary is entertaining and/or insightful, but he needs to shut up and only talk about 50% as much as he does. And most of his comments are really about him. He might as well be asking "aren't I clever?" after most of what he says. But in there is some really great stuff. And I actually love the counterpoint between him and Tonia :lol:

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I thought it was kinda funny and definitely sort of a dig at Priscilla. Johnny is a master of the passive-aggressive doublespeak.

I noticed Priscilla didn't have any senior men at this event. Actually, any seniors at all in any discipline?

18. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

I was dying just reading excerpts here. Soooo jealous of all you who actually got to watch/listen! :(

19. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I love Johnny on this Backstage show with Peter Carruthers. He can talk, talk, talk here!! Just pipe down some and it will be all good.

20. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Thumbs up! Just one wish- that he would talk a little less during actual programs. But he is a hoot as a commentator, keep him!

21. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I loved his commentary, for the most part. He was honest, insightful, knowledgeable and downright hilarious. I literally laughed out loud several times. I wish he would cancel his comeback and commentate for IN full time! ;)

22. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

Johnny is the only commentator who could yak through the entire program and I wouldn't care. Pink flowers and sparkles, eyebrows, honey badgers and insightful about the skating too... could listen to him all day! :rofl:

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Alex Zahradnicek (last year's Junior silver medalist) withdrew from the Senior men's event. She coached Tony Lu (Novice) in San Jose and then went to Euros to caoch Viktor Pfeifer there.

24. doubleflutz

doubleflutz New Member

I was pleasantly surprised by how sharp he was as a technical commenter, actually. For all his trash-talking and professed ignorance of COP, he was actually better at breaking down aspects of step sequences or spins that could affect levels, unlike Tonia. Better analysis of the jumps, too, which is something she goes on and on about, without always being very insightful. His comments about how Mroz just didn't trust the landing on his 4T, and then again on the 3A, reminded me a lot of what Dick Button said about how you don't "commentate" skating, you have to "narrate" it, create a story about what's going on for the audience. When he wasn't trying to show off how clever he was, I thought Johnny did an awesome job of that, and that's probably something a general audience can relate to more than Scott Hamiltons grunts, squeals, and incoherent babbling.

25. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

MTE. His comments about skating are often quite thoughtful and he had some :rofl: lines, but sometimes I just want to watch the skater skate and listen during warm ups, replays, and KnC time instead.

That said, I did enjoy his commentary and think he could be really good.

26. iarispiralllyof

did he have a bitter fallout with priscilla?

27. midori

midori Well-Known Member

I am not really a fan of Johnny but his commentary is BEST!! I do not mind he talks too much because I have another broadcast source to record without commentary. :D

It is funny, warm and very informative, from elite skater-point of view to eyebrows. That makes me even wish him not coming back next year but keep commentating. :p

28. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Just got done reading the men's SP threads (thank you everyone for PBPs!) Congrats to Jeremy, Adam, and Armin.

That being said I was PML at Johnny's comments!! The posts read like Tonia was the 'straight' man to Johnny's zany comic!!
    'Honey Badger' 'Pink and Sparkle's' 'Eyebrows' :rofl::rofl:

29. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

I thought he was hilarious and insightful! Already rivaling Dick Button in the zany quotes department. :lol: I think he did an excellent job of critiquing without ripping skaters to shreds.

30. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Is that something that should be appreciated in a person?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012