Johnny to be honored with Human Rights Award

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by judiz, Sep 10, 2010.

1. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

The Human Rights Campaign is honoring Johnny Weir with its Visibility Award at the 11th Annual Seattle HRC "AsOne" Gala Dinner on Saturday, September 25, 2010,

http://www.hrcseattle.org/dinner click on guests and awards on right side of site for more info.
  2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Kudos to Johnny! Thanks for the link, judiz.
  3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

4. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Mazel tov!!!
  5. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Well HRC just lost my membership renewal.
  6. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Ooooh, I can't wait to see what kind of an outfit he puts together for this...:watch:
  7. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

It will be fur.
  8. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Does he get an appearance fee for doing gigs like this one?
  9. Helenista

Helenista New Member

Good for him!
  10. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

11. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Huh?

Well, he certainly is visible, I'll give him that....
  12. shine

shine Well-Known Member

So what has Johnny done? :confused:
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  13. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

This is so backwards.

Johnny has spent his entire time in the limelight NOT coming out of the closet. Yes, I think sexual orientation is private and that no one should "announce" pointless stuff like this, but if you are going to give someone a human rights award for being gay (what else could they give it to him for?) then you could at least pick someone who is officially out and who isn't waiting to be out of the spotlight to come out.
  14. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Love Johnny, but I agree. Shouldn't they be rewarding actual activists rather than be kissing asses of celebrities?
  15. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I´m not quite sure, but got the impression that he actually came out in a magazine interview during the summer? There was some controversial skating stuff in that interview and skating fans just seemed to concentrate on discussing those and not his coming out of the closet....
  16. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

It seems like Johnny has put in considerable effort in those AIDS fundraisers.
    Does that count?
  17. Ninchen

Ninchen Active Member

Congrats Johnny! :)
  18. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I think there are plenty of celebrities who are activists...but I don't consider Johnny one of them. Hopefully he doesn't wear fur :p
  19. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think the HRC sometimes give out awards to high-profiled people that they know will bring more publicity to the organizating itself and not necessarily because the recipients deserved it. I remember a few years back when the HRC in D.C. gave the award to Lance Bass and his then boyfriend Reichen (from Amazing Race), and many people just went "Huh?"
  20. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

:(

Really sad that the true activists don't get recognition. It goes to the Pop cultrure fame whores. :rolleyes: :huh:
    orientalplane, Rex, pixie cut and 3 others like this.
  21. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Who do you have in mind that should be getting an HRC award but got slighted? If you have someone particular in mind, may be you can contact HRC and voice your opinion?
  22. ratatouille

ratatouille New Member

Off topic, but I miss Johnny's performance.
  23. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow New Member

The people who decide who gets the award must all be straight. :p
  24. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap New Member

The only thing I can really think of that Johnny has done has been stand up for gender identity diversity awareness and being against bullying. I think that's important, especially considering he's a pop icon, I just don't care for him. A human rights award seems to be a stretch.
  25. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Exactly what I was going to say, except I do like Johnny. I just don't think he's really done anything noteworthy as a "Human rights activist". But, hey, whatever. It's publicity for him, and skating by association. And positive publicity at that, I guess.
  26. query5

query5 New Member

congrats johnny
  27. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I like Johnny, but I don't get why he was awarded this honor.

Congrats anyway. I'm sure he'll make the best of it.

O-
  28. LadyGray

LadyGray New Member

I bet he's getting recognized for his high-profile press conference in Vancouver during the Olympics. He was so eloquent and gracious in the face of terrible behavior by some insensitive commentators. I love him and think he deserves this award just for those very public, well-articulated comments.
  29. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

http://www.atlantahrcdinner.org/visibility_award.aspx

Isn't Johnny planning on officially speaking about his sexuality in his upcoming book?

Yes, along with his candidness and openness about his individuality, which he shows and encourages others to be themselves on "Be Good Johnny Weir." He supports the Elton John Aids Foundation, Elie Weisel Foundation for Humanity, UNICEF, Cool Kids and Heatherette Human Rights Campaign.

http://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/2078-johnny-weir

Anyway, congratulations, Johnny! :cheer2:
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  30. REO

REO New Member

Because pop culture people cannot possibly be involved in human rights activism? That damn Elton and Michael Jackson. Such selfish pop icons. :rolleyes:
    Reference musesk8r's post and LadyGray's. The honor is not undeserved. I'm not sure what people want him to be as far as activism goes. He's not wealthy and he's only 26 years old. He does what he can when he sees a need or is asked for help and it's more than alot of people in his position give. Congratulations Johnny! You're a good guy and you deserve this accolade. :cool:
  31. psycho

psycho New Member

How did I know which direction this thread would take?;) Some people are so predictable.:watch:

For some balance, here's another things Johnny did that makes him a worthy recipient:
    http://www.slate.com/id/2261929/
  32. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Are you including yourself in that group?
  33. Lilac

Lilac New Member

Congrats Johnny!
  34. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Especially his response to the two clowns from the French-language RDS.
  35. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I had no idea Sheryl Swoopes was gay, so I guess their definition of "open and honest" doesn't include shouting from the rooftops.

Johnny's always been unrepentently flamboyant, so to me, that's almost more difficult than being "openly gay."
  36. dots

dots Well-Known Member

OMG ! Are you sure? :wideeyes: Next thing you know Perez Hilton will get one too :slinkaway
  37. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Well, he is getting something called the "Visibility Award" -- which sounds like it is for something highly publicized.
  38. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

The connection between 'visibility' and 'human rights' is a tenuous one IMO.

It would seem that the candidate's visibility would have to promote human rights. Johnny's RDS comments certainly did address the issue of sexual orientation as a human right, but I would guess that there are activists out there in the BGLT community (not sure it's the right acronym) who put much more on the line than Johnny did and put in hours of work for the cause, which Johnny did not.

39. REO

REO New Member

The Olympics is a huge forum. You don't get more visible globally than that. Perhaps there are others who also deserve the award but there is only one per year. Johnny was very visible this year so it's his time. His award does not negate others who do good work.
  40. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Well, since the award REQUIRES that the individual be LGBT, I guess we don't have to wait for Johnny's book to at least know he is either G or T.