Johnny in NYMag

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by The Village Idiot, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Muffin

Muffin New Member

I am also not impressed with his professed knowledge of fashion. He doesn't seem to know much more than your average person who reads Vogue and The Fashion Spot and follows fashion as a hobby.

It does not appear he has any qualifications whatsoever to be a fashion designer. As Tim Gunn (of Project Runway & Parsons) said, dressing with flair does not mean one will make a good fashion designer. Does Johnny sew? Does he illustrate? Has he actually made any clothing? Because people who aspire to go to design school usually do that stuff intensely for years before applying.

It sounds to me like he wants a casual interest in fashion to transform itself into a career, but I've seen no indication he is going to put in the work to make it happen, and I don't have a lot of confidence that he will.

2. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Oda's total TES was 79.69 but he had a 1.00 deduction for his fall = 78.69 adjusted TES, or 4th place behind Johnny and slightly ahead of Lambiel. (Oda also had an additional 2.00 deduction for his program interruption, but I'm not counting that against TES since it is not related to execution of elements.)

3. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

And all those comments from native Russian speakers about how good his Russian is must be "total bullshit." Maybe it's not Johnny who has a problematic "relationship to facts and truth." :saint:

4. sunny_sari

sunny_sari New Member

Actually Johnny is the one who always refuses to say he's fluent because he does make the odd grammar and word choice mistake yet he's pretty darn close to it in spoken and written word. When training with Galina's team he said the first year they spoke a little, the second year they spoke half and half and last year the majority of their talk was in russian. He gave an interview where he said one week he was training so much and the only people he saw were his coaches so he went home on a friday realizing he hadn't spoken english face to face with anyone in five days. Galina even calls him fluent when he insists he still struggles over some words.

His russian is excellent and way more advanced then a few words here and there. I have no idea where you got that. He's been speaking and studying it for years and years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ttVkbWw43w
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpm6uhifN7Y&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR_83-Fcw5U&feature=related (3:13 mark)

5. sunny_sari

sunny_sari New Member

6. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I just said he's not fluent, which he isn't. Listening to those interviews... he's speaking Russian like the kind of English you hear Yuna Kim speaking in an interview with NBC. Good, yes, but not fluent. I took Russian in college for 4 years but I wouldn't call myself fluent. Just a few days ago on the gymnastics post-show Johnny admitted that he wasn't "fluent" in Russian.

And if someone cares to argue that he's fluent in French, please... illuminate me. .

7. sunny_sari

sunny_sari New Member

Uh, that's not what you said. You said you hate how he's always saying he's "fluent" which he's not saying. He says he can speak and understand both languages which he can but refuses to call himself fluent even though the "fluency" of his russian is very very good. You just contradicted yourself when you said Johnny always says he's fluent yet said on the gymnastics show that he isn't.

Also you said he can speak a line here and there and understands some of the gist. You were proven wrong. Clearly he's far more advanced than that and to be able to carry on an almost hour-long radio interview with 3 russians speaking at the speed of light at you and understand it all and hold your own.... I'd say he's got some pretty good skill- much better than what you wanted to give him credit for.

8. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

So? That makes it okay for him smoking? :huh: That is no excuse, nor is it a pattern. Many people of his age (and even younger) take up smoking because it has a socializing effect and because they think it's cool. Which is shallow.

In addition, both my parents smoked, as well as my younger brother (between 11 and 18 years old) and I never even considered to try it, despite being "surrounded by it". :rolleyes:

Actually, he has learnt French in highschool, it's not a recent 'claim'. :rolleyes:

9. sunny_sari

sunny_sari New Member

10. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

LOL. I just had native Russian speaker listen to the Radio Avto interview. The comments: "He's fairly fluent." "Grammatically correct." "He's being asked about some fairly obscure things and he understands them." But the best part: "The guy closed the interview by saying, 'This has been an interview with American figure skater Johnny Weir, who is fluent in Russian." So there, from the Russki interviewer himself. :p

11. REO

REO New Member

I wouldn't get too shook about any statements in that article. She made remarks that were out of context or half truths and some that were downright false. You got alot more real info from sunny sari and BittyBug just now than from whoever that "journalist" was. I have no idea what the agenda was for her to make snide comments about Tara's apartment and another person's weight! Apparently she's built like Demi Moore and her abode was featured in Architectural Digest. Also, if I had to read that Johnny doesn't like for people to be put into boxes once more I'd have fallen asleep from boredom. Hey at least a popular mag is writing about him and people are interested!

12. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Yeah, I took German and Arabic in high school, so I must be fluent too. I also occasionally read Vogue, so naturally I can't have a 9-5.

There are a lot of over-the-top claims in this article, but that's just Johnny's personality. He's a serial exaggerator. According to this article, he should have been Olympic champion and probably would have been had USFS simply pushed him politically. Hey, he even got an admission from a mysterious someone inside the USFSA that they screwed him! How convenient.

13. sunny_sari

sunny_sari New Member

Haha, why do you continue to propel an argument you clearly aren't winning? (in regards to the russian thing)

In regards to the can't have a 9-5 the struggles that Johnny is dealing with now and are highlighted on his show and in this article are the same struggles that ALL elite-caliber athletes go through when they transition from training and competing to a "normal" life. Due to the fact that training takes up all of their time that IS their 9-5 and for most of them like Johnny has been since they were young kids. Why is it hard for you to believe that they would stop competing at 26 and all of the sudden find the world a little frightening when realizing they lack practical skills for 9-5s?

Nobody's saying that Johnny doesn't exaggerate because he DOES and isn't dramatic because he certainly IS. That's kinda his schtick. However people have been telling him since the Olympics ended "omg you were robbed," "I think you should have had a medal," "you're a medalist in my eyes." Clearly there was something people reacted to strongly and with passion that can't be translated into marks. Johnny hears this all of the time and continues to hear it every day. Even the gymnast who interviewed him on Around the Gym
    at the gymnastics nationals repeated that to him. It's hard not to internalize that after a while. I think Johnny has and his brain (or heart) probably still exists in the 6.0 system where no doubt he WOULD have had a medal.

I don't think for a second he's claiming he should have won the gold medal in Vancouver. He's not stupid. He's never uttered those words. He said "I'd probably be champion" referring to what could have been if he had done things the right way and played the game all along. That's different than saying "I should have been champion." He's awknowledging what he let slip by him. Whether he regrets it or not, or ever will.... who knows. That's only for HIM to say.

14. REO

REO New Member

Get a grip about this language thing. It has been shown to you that people who actually speak Russian as a mother tongue say he's fluent in the language. Why can't you accept it? Get out your little dictionary and read the definition: "Having facility in the use of a language." Add to that the fact that he himself denies that he is fluent in either Russian or French so what is the problemo? :huh:

15. Muffin

Muffin New Member

But that's not what Johnny said in the article. He didn't say he had a LACK of skills for 9-5. He made it sound like the skills he DOES have are too extraordinary for 9-5. I think he's really out of touch with the real world if he is not aware that there are millions of people who speak French and love vintage Chanel who work 9-5 jobs - sometimes extremely unglamorous and boring 9-5 jobs. I think Johnny's problem is an overestimation of his skills.

16. sunny_sari

sunny_sari New Member

"In spite of all the skills that I do have, to relate to the normal world I have no applicable skills,”

"I know what Halston is. All of these things, but they can’t really be applied to a nine-to-five.”

The operative word again here I believe is "applicable." Johnny is describing the skills and/or talents he's learned along the way as things that aren't practical for him and can't be useful when applied to a 9-5 job. Where is it in the article that he states these skills are to be deemed too spectacular and better than those needed for a 9-5 job? He doesn't demean 9-5 jobs as unglamorous, or boring and actually gives the impression that he longs for direction and something that can be applied in a practical way to help move him forward.

17. reese

reese Well-Known Member

“I think if I had been more p.c., had I played by the rules a bit more, I’d be the Olympic champion this year,” he says.

How lucky for you that you know exactly what he *really* meant by this.

18. sunny_sari

sunny_sari New Member

No I don't know exactly what he means by anything he says. I do stand behind what I said in that there is a big difference between saying "I'd be the champ this time" and "I should have been the champ."

Also given the consistency in his statements about the first and second place winners since the Olympics I find it highly unlikely he considers himself robbed of the gold, especially since not once has he said anything even close to that before. There are at least 4 interviews in which he praises Lysacek's performance and states that he did deserve the gold. He also adores Plushenko and has endlessly praised him, including his olympic performance.

19. Gwoofer

Gwoofer New Member

No he wouldn't. But, many thought the same of Plushenko vs. Lysachek. Arguements can be made many way with many different criteria.

20. REO

REO New Member

My reading of that was that if he had played by the rules throughout his career, the Federation would have kept promoting him and supporting him as their number one skater and he could have been the champion. Not that he thinks that as things played out he should have beaten Evan in Vancouver.

21. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  22. sunny_sari

sunny_sari New Member

23. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

That's how I read it as well. I just don't think Johnny is making much sense. Even if the U.S. Federation "supported him as their number one skater" from 2006 onward, fact of the matter is that he bombed 2009 Nationals while his teammate became World Champion. Why would the U.S. still "promote" Weir as their best skater heading into 2010 when the reigning World Champ comes from the same country? It doesn't make sense. If the U.S. was "promoting" Lysacek and Abbott over Weir, it's probably because they had actually won competitions lately, not because they were better at "playing by the rules". Lysacek and Abbott are very strong skaters in their own right, and they "promoted themselves" by out-skating Weir multiple times in the past couple of years.

Johnny doesn't seem to understand this, and if he does, he won't admit it, probably because it's better for his TV show to believe that his "controversial image" is more to blame for his skating results rather than his actual skating.

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I love the blouse. (But not for $1500, including tax...)

He was quoted as saying, "I can speak Russian. I can speak French." I don't see any "fluent" in there.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  25. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

26. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

His skills do have practical applicability. If he wanted a 9-5 job, he could package and present in such a way that he could get that job. There's lots of things he could do - his linguistic, skating and modeling experience entails a lot of skills and abilities.

Many people involved in fashion and event management do work 9 to 5 and have a job title.

27. psycho

psycho Well-Known Member

28. Rainbow

Rainbow Active Member

Except for the linguistic experience (he just went to classes like a few weeks as far as I remember from an interview) I agree. He could do a writing training and seems talented enough at it in order to try to start in fashion PR -- I seriously doubt that`s the kind of job he has in mind though. No glamour. Likely little pay. And probably a lot less freedom than on the ice. However, I think such an experience would put a lot of "they were so unfair to me" experiences in perspective which might be good for him.

29. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Seems like neither Johnny nor Patti were please with the slant of the article. From today's NY Daily News (admittedly, a total rag):

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

If he's going to be sensitive that people don't think highly of Modlin based on what she says and the way she presents herself -- and there's extensive footage on his show and manleywoman's skatecast, not just a "NY Magazine" article -- he's going to spend a lot of time being pissed off.