Johnny Closes on 1.1 Million Dollar Condo

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Iceman, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

More skaters should use Thoroughly Modern Millie for their programs. :)
  2. meggonzo

meggonzo Well-Known Member

Johnny is flabby?! :scream:
  3. REO

REO New Member

Right?! Why would they use a big old tub of lard like Johnny and not someone really hot like orbitz must be? I just don't get it. LOL
  4. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

:huh:
    I think the question is not why wouldn't you hire Orbitz, but rather in an industry filled with this and this why would you hire someone like Johnny?

Everybody is entitled to an opinion, it's too bad some can't have one without unnecessary ridicule as a response.
  5. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

The dog in the first pic would look great in that outfit!!!!! rotfl
  6. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Johnny's not flabby - the cut's just wrong. :p
    LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  7. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

:respec: That was exactly my point. I would have Johnny in clothings and leave the 3/4 naked look to the professional adonises.
  8. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

Oh god YES! :grope:
  9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I am amazed at how many people do think Johnny is sexy. To each his own. But the shows he is modeling in - are they not charity shows with celebs modeling the clothes?
  10. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

No, the shows Johnny has been modeling in this week are part of New York's Fashion Week. While designers may ask celebrities to be guest models, the models in the shows are professional models.
  11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/johnnyweir/gallery_nigel.html

Hmmm, even though the above photos are from circa 2004, still Johnny seems able to hold his own with the best of the professionals.

But berthesghost ... here I thought you were the master of ridicule and sarcasm. Anyway, why not be like Johnny and have the courage to hold onto your opinions in the face of what you feel is ridicule? Some points being made are just personal observations, and some of these so-called opinions of Johnny seem more to me like poking fun of him, looking down on him, envying him, ridiculing him, but maybe it's "just my 'magination runnin' away with me."
  12. psycho

psycho New Member

Funny, I think that calling anyone whose body looks the way Johnny's does "flabby" and "paunchy" is the epitome of unnecessary ridicule. Some people seem to be able to dish it out, but can't take the heat. :p
  13. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhhh, I see.
  14. aftershocks

Schmoozin’ wid zee z-list looks like fun

No doubt Johnny’s high profile as a skater led to him meeting and becoming friends with people in the design community, which led to his first modeling gigs during Fashion Week and to his participation in some rockin’ photo shoots over the years. Cool that he now has more time to be involved in walking the runway, designing a bit himself, and skating too during Fashion Week festivities. Continued modeling gigs are probably forthcoming, as Johnny seems to do a great job, whilst “having fun and making a living.” He likely will “keep it up” as long as there are designers eager to have him walk the runway in their shows.

Funnily enough, Johnny quipped during his Closet Confessions video for bluefly.com that he aspires to be Kate Moss -- LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/user/stuckonstyle#p/search/1/7-vuitukYhA

?Johnny Paunch? – could be the makeup, lighting and camera angle. Not speaking from actual up close and personal touch test, but surely what some see as the “beginnings of a paunch” is still all muscle, no flab. BTW, iceman, and orbitz, have you checked your own mid-sections lately? :p
  15. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

You just don't get it. Neither iceman nor I are publicly displaying our half naked bodies to the public, fashion or otherwise.
  16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I am continually amused when people bring street standards into skating, dance or fashion when it comes to looks and fitness.
  17. aftershocks

No problem, orbitz. More than likely ... you don't get it either ... not a world-ending dilemma.

It would seem so – input and final approval was probably included in Johnny’s contract. He certainly had a lot to do with the cover theme/ photo. Many writers have little or no say, nor final approval, in how cover art and text on the inside flap are put together.

BTW, you seem to be such a stickler, overedge. And maybe it’s contagious --:p -- Johnny seemingly could teach us all something about adding a bit more joie de vivre and z-list fun to our schedules.

Ouch… :lol:

Analysis – nah, more like commentary
    Rigorous – hardly
    Reliable – hmmm, who knows? Since I’m not a Johnny-come lately, let’s just say I’m relying upon my considerable memories and impressions from following Johnny’s career over the years on and off the ice. Also, relying upon what Johnny relates and reveals in his book.

I don’t think it mattered whether the boys fell for Johnny’s continued flaunting of the streamers. They either kept up their taunts, got tired and gave up, or came over to Johnny’s way of thinking – maybe girly streamers don’t have to be for girls only. ;) -- In the long run, I think what matters is that Johnny gussied up the streamers, got back on his bike, went back to the boys’ hangout and stood up for himself and his choices. Even if it was for something as “silly” as streamers on a bicycle, he refused to be bullied into letting go of his sense of self and conforming to others’ expectations.

Reminds me of Johnny’s admitted immaturity in pulling out of a fs competition because the judges told him not to wear his sp costume (for The PuppetMaster). He later wore the costume at 2003 Nationals. The costume may have been seen as daring/ too fabulous, but gah, why? In fact, the costume is very memorable, and it was a breath of fresh air at the time – something different that worked beautifully with Johnny’s music and choreo. It was the beginning of his breaking the mold …. LOL, he was so cute – “I got a 5.8.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhFvPHB_aKg
  18. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

You are wrong. For autobiographies (especially celebrity ones) this sort of approval or control is almost standard. If you are writing a book to promote your public image, why would you risk some editor or copywriter adding wording that would undercut what you are trying to promote?
  19. aftershocks

Guess that's the "mysterious and puzzling" thing about Johnny Sport, IceAlisa, it can be so amusing and confusing. Be sure to try out that Haute Dogs recipe. If you're a vegetarian, try mixing things up a little with say... some eggplant and mushrooms-- that's what cooking is all about.

From The Quotable Johnny Weir, the most recent quote about what Johnny plans to do on Valentine’s Day, is hilarious, and the quote circa 2004, is as relevant today as it was then. It’s gotta be my fave of the moment:

When fans go negative, I’d love to see them go out there and do it better …

http://quotablejohnnyweir.blogspot.com/

Yes, upon further reflection and deep but not so “rigorous” examination, I think Johnny really is “original, outrageous or whatever.” :p

And maybe he’s not all that puzzling or mysterious either, but just a bundle of contradictions … like most human beings.

Johnny Weir: Everybody Loves Me
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGSjhhKJerM&feature=related

Johnny Weir -- U.R.A. Fever
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL3k3euvT5A&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Anywhere But Here -- Johnny Weir
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nj3dcOAwog&NR=1&feature=fvwp

The last vid montage above says it all for me about Johnny's journey

Is this the end of the moment or just a beautiful unfolding ... Everything I never thought could happen or come to pass ... I wonder if maybe I could be all you ever dreamed ... You are beautiful inside, so lovely.

A Big Thanks to OMGASY :)

In’t it better to at least try to live life on your own terms, and have few or no regrets? Those who don’t realize already will likely find out sooner or later: Life can not always be planned out to a “t” – and there’s always a chance that it might come crashing down all around us. At which point, you either pick up the pieces and keep on truckin’ or give up altogether, or maybe exist in a kind of limbo between what might have been and what is.

You either get busy livin’ or get busy dying. Regina Brett
  20. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

21. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  22. aftershocks

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:lol: I dunno, but they WON'T BE IGNORED!!
  24. Anita18

Yes but at the same time, it has to be mentioned that Johnny Weir isn't getting these gigs because he can actually be a model. It's because he's Johnny Weir, so he can get away with the "paunch" that other models can't.

I'm still not convinced it's a paunch, though. ALL guys have a little something there, even the very built ones. (My bf can pull my size 0 girly jeans all the way up and he's a little squishy there.) That's why I pointed out that the cut is wrong. I'm underweight and even I can look pregnant depending on the cut of a top. Women with relatively large calves shouldn't wear pants/skirts that end mid-calf. Stuff like that.

What Johnny doesn't have is ginormous washboard abs that show through that little something. :p
  25. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

Why is this even "news"? Johnny can do what he wants, who cares how much his house is?
  26. aftershocks

Dunno about the bunny either ... I sure hope not! Well, if it does come with a bunny, it's probably just fur. ;)

And btw, Rex, NEITHER WILL YOU ... Salud!

And 2 + 2 = 4 Or does it? Why not ask Richie Rich and other designers why they seem to think Johnny Weir can actually be a model. :cool:

ITA, bbkenn. But it seems, if this thread is any indication, that quite a few people care about how much Johnny's new abode costs, and they also seem concerned about whether he plans to continue with his "dry-humping" on television, and hanging out with the z-list crowd.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  27. overedge

Because it gets them attention. Probably not because of his potential modelling ability.
  28. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

He's trendy to people right now. It won't last.
  29. aftershocks

http://guestofaguest.com/nightlife/best-2k-i-ever-spent-richie-richs-villionaire-glitter-and-boom/

If you actually watch the video, I think it's quite clear that Richie Rich doesn't need anyone to get him or his show attention. Does Johnny garner extra press? Highly likely, but in the fashion world, I think Richie Rich is obviously very established and known for his quirky esthetic. I think the vid clearly shows that Richie Rich and Johnny are friends who understand each other and enjoy being in each other's company.

In regard to Johnny's "potential ability," ... the fact he's already walked the runway more than once already, I think takes him past "potential." I also doubt that modeling is going to be his main focus of endeavor.

ITA, Frau Muller, that would be cool to see Evan and Johnny walking the red carpet at the RISE premiere, but realistically, not gonna happen. Despite ironically enough the documentary on Johnny having provided some inspiration for the decision to make a documentary on an important aspect of USFS history, (even including the coincidence of the title -- the original title of Johnny's documentary: Black Swan Rising in turn inspired by Maya Angelou's poem, Still I Rise), there is no way that USFS officials want Johnny anywhere near the premiere of RISE. Evan is their guy. He's the Olympic champion. He's in the film -- he's promoting the film -- he's the face of U.S. figure skating. Can the end of one dream give rise to another? Yes, as the film will document, but apparently, only the dreams of the chosen really matter.
  30. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Johnny's documentary inspired Rise?
    genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  31. MrSatterwhite

MrSatterwhite Barely-Known Member

I've heard Johnny's documentary also inspired the movie Black Swan with Natalie Portman. The original title of Johnny's documentary was Black Swan Rising. Coincidence? I don't think so. ;)
  32. aftershocks

No, I said the decision to make a documentary on some aspect of figure skating's history, IMO, took some inspiration from the fact a documentary was being filmed about Johnny. In fact, David Barba and James Pellerito originally planned to do a general documentary about the sport, and then decided to focus their film on Johnny. The success of Pop Star On Ice on the indie circuit surely signaled to USFS that developing a film was an effective way to further promote the sport. In the case of RISE, they have done that while at the same time honoring the 1961 team and bringing their story back into wider public awareness.

:lol: Touché
  33. Prancer

Oh, so this is like how Johnny inspired Blades of Glory.
  34. aftershocks

I think Jon Heder's character in Blades of Glory was inspired by Johnny's The Swan sp performance.
  35. overedge

Yes, because there haven't been any other documentary films lately that have had any kind of commercial success at all :rolleyes:
  36. Prancer

I think Jon Heder's first "program" was inspired by Johnny Weir, but other than that, I can't think of a single thing the character and the person have in common.

But this is old territory.

More :lynch: about Johnny's condo! Or flab. Or whatever the latest is in here.
  37. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This is not a matter of opinion. Either they did or did not get the idea to make a documentary from Johnny. For you to act like you know is just silly. I also suppose that when a butterfly flaps its wings...
  38. aftershocks

The costume Heder wore was directly inspired by Johnny's The Swan costume. I think the program was more of a spoof.

Most of the stuff in here is old territory.

No, BigB08822, who said they got the idea to make a documentary from Johnny. It was Barba and Pellerito who asked USFS for permission to film a documentary about the sport, and they later decided to focus it on Johnny. So, USFS independently decided to pursue developing another film on a different aspect of the sport or the plans for RISE were already in the works before they were approached by Barba and Pellerito. The high profile success of Pop Star On Ice on the indie circuit certainly did not go unnoticed.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  39. Anita18

Well, if Johnny Weir wasn't Johnny Weir and was just another guy, Richie Rich wouldn't have hired him. :p That's my point.

And just because he's walked the runway "more than once" doesn't mean he has any staying power. He's hot right now - we'll see how things go 2-3 years down the road.
  40. aftershocks

How do you know whether Johnny has any intention or desire to continue doing this 2-3 years down the road?

You also seem to be able to read Richie Rich's mind, in addition to predicting Johnny Weir's future.