Johnny Closes on 1.1 Million Dollar Condo

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Iceman, Feb 7, 2011.

1. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Please, let's not turn this into a fur vs non fur debate, we all know Johnny's views on fur and "been there, done that".

Getting back to the topic, I'm quite sure that no matter what he is saying, Johnny's move to New York City is so he is closer to the fashion industry which has always been his dream.

I may also be in the minority here, but with the proper make up and decent hair styling, Johnny looks really good on camera. He is comfortable in front of an audience and I think he would do well as a model for men's clothing.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  2. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I see Johnny wearing a fur bolero jacket and a fur bikini with fur thigh high boots---each item out of a different fur . lmao And why not add a pair of fake fur eyelashes lol

3. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I've grown weary of his constant references to his being "skinny." Lysacek's a stick compared to Weir.

While it's nice that Johnny's making contacts by doing the catwalk thing, it would be smarter for him to actually enroll in some classes if he wants to make a career out of design and fashion. Just going to parties doesn't get give you knowledge, it just makes you a hanger-on. You have to have some knowledge and expertise, otherwise you're just playing around. (Which might be his intention.)

I remember when figure skating coaches and judges wore heavy fur coats and boots for test sessions, especially on outdoor rinks. It was quite a sight, watching them trudge across the ice to check Compulsory Figures tracings.

4. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

There are many non-fur coats that will keep you just as warm if not warmer than a fur coat. Buy your coat from a manufacturer that gives a temperature rating as to the lowest temp the coat will keep you warm.

Military coats are among the best for keeping warm.
    One way to get a good coat without a lot of money, is to buy used Army and Navy clothing. The N3B coat is legendary for being warm. It is rated to -60 degrees farenheight. You can find one of these coats for less than fifty dollars and be as warm as you would be in an eight hundred dollar coat.

There are also good used coats called the M51 and the M65 that were made for the Korean War. They are most often referred to as fishtails. They can't handle as extreme conditions as the N3B, but they are rated to handle as low as 14 degrees farenheight. The good thing about the fishtail is that it allows you to add lots of layers and is good at keeping out the wind. A good winter coat must keep out all the wind. If you feel any wind coming through your winter coat, you can be sure that you need an upgrade.

5. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

It's not the most exciting, but the park is nice in itself and it's a nice central location (about as central as you can get without hitting the less desirable midtown areas). It's walking distance of Union Square and the Village/SoHo are a fast subway ride away. Upper Manhattan wouldn't be a major trek either. Grammercy Park is also close by and a very nice area to walk around even if you can't actually get in the park. :mitchell:

If I lived there I'd be getting Shake Shack burgers and groceries at Eataly all the time. :lol: Congrats to Johnny, I'm sure he'll love it.

6. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I believe that Johnny has taken some classes/seminars at the Fashion Institute of Technology, but that's about it. I'm not sure how far he wants to go with that. And most likely, he comes up with some ideas, and then uses people in the industry who know what they're doing to bring them to life. But I don't know - maybe he does his own designs himself; I have no idea, having never talked to the man about this. :lol:

7. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Just for the record, he hasn't taken classes there. Not to say he might not know something about design but just that he hasn't been a student there.

8. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

This is exactly what he does. As in "See this jacket? That's what I want, except make the sleeves fuller and the collar should have points." And the expert does all the work and then Johnny puts his name on it.

9. Willowway

I am by no means a 'designer' but years ago when I was sewing alot, I decided I needed more control over what I was making for myself. So I took a few pattern-making courses and a draping course. What fun! Exacting, lots of work and it must be the latent engineer in me but taking a basic pattern and "making" those different sleeves, variation on the collar, etc. is exciting and fun to do. You get exactly (after a bit of trial and error) what you want and it's very satisfying (after the swearing, screaming and hair-tearing during the trial and error part!). I recommend it to anyone who loves to create for themselves.

10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Where did you take such classes? The only thing I can find around here is how to make a pillowcase (but not one with nice french seams- basically just straightline sewing) or pajama pants (but not well fitted oens that I could translate the skills to actual pants).

I love sewing, but my clothes have the same problem as RTW, because I don't really know how to alter!

11. Willowway

In those days, the Cambridge Center for Adult Education (I lived in Cambridge, MA at the time) had the most wonderful courses in pattern drafting (from a sloper which we each made for ourselves), etc. Unlikely to be in that space but it worked.

I don't know where you are but look around and ask at your local fabric shop - they may know. If nothing is happening, there are professional teachers who tour with workshops in this sort of thing. But I loved having a weekly class because it gave me time to do my 'homework' and really absorb the techniques gradually.

If all else fails, there are also good courses on DVD in alterations and/or pattern drafting. Do you get "Threads" magazine? Lots in there about these things. I love reading it - it inspires me.

12. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Local fabric shop- hahaha! Joanns is the closest thing we have.

I've found a seamstress in town who does private lessons- but they are out of my reach pricewise (more than skating lessons.) I'd really like a group setting as well.

I checked the community college to see if they have any sort of fashion degree, but they don't.

I'm thinking Iowa just doesn't have the resources :(

13. Willowway

DVDs and Threads. You can get a lot from those sources. It must be frustrating not having the resources you want. I admit, as someone who lived near Boston and now near NYC, I'm very spoiled.

14. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Not that I'm a fan of this, but this happens all the time. The very famous glass artist Dale Chihuly has been blind in one eye since the early 1970s, and therefore cannot actually blow glass. But he designs the pieces and hires the best glassblowers in the world to make them for him, and his name goes on it.

15. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I agree with you. He is a nice looking guy. But unfortunately (IMHO at least) he doesn't appear too often in proper makeup and decent hair styling. If he looked more like the models in the ads, when he shows up for events and other public gigs, he might be a more visible candidate for modelling gigs.

16. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

The difference being that Chihuly actually studied glass design and did own work for many years before the accidents that forced him to hire others. That's far away from simply looking at someone else's work and telling them that you don't like it and they should change it.

17. Willowway

One key distinction though - Dale C. knows how to blow glass and was an expert glass blower himself at one time (that's how he began to build his substantial reputation as an artist). So he is not ignorant of the technical fine points in any way. Most (almost all) great artists in any field start on the ground, understand the technical through their own experience and build the artistry on top of that.

zaphyre14 beat me to it!

18. manleywoman

As a former glass blower myself, "expert" is relative. He was a decent glass blower, but not much beyond that. Certainly no match for the guys he works with now.

No, he's not ignorant of the technical aspect of the medium at all, nor the equipment and industry, and he's done AMAZING things for the community at large. But the point is there are plenty of artists who hire others to do their work and just put their name on it.

19. Willowway

Right and my point was that no artist (who has earned that 'title') out-sources all or most of technical aspects of their art without knowing that territory very well themselves. The words 'amateur' and 'dabbler' apply to those who bring no technical knowledge, actual artistic expertise and artistic discipline to the table. Where Johnny fits, I won't say - time will tell.

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Agree - it's common practice, always has been, to have apprentices and assistants execute work through various stages of design and creation of art, and certainly fashion.

The results though are almost always better when the visionary has a solid background in actually doing what he's instructing others to do :)

Sounds like this designer is just using Johnny's name for a little extra publicity - no different than most other celebrity fashion lines. Maybe what he should aspire to is a fragrance - there is HUGE money in celebrity-branded scents.

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

If you look at costume sketches for theater, most of them are just that: stylized sketches with swatches often chosen by the designer, but sometimes by the costumers and fabric shoppers, who are given instructions like the weight, color, and fabric, but who have leeway to select among "red, heavyweight silk". The people who make the costumes and supervise the shops add many of the details including the line and fittings, sometimes based on experience with that designer, often based on historical research and standard references volumes, and they look quite different from the designs.

22. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I used to work for a fashion retailer, and I sew very well (wedding gowns, skating dresses, drapes), so I tend to run off about this topic. I also worked for a tailoring shop through high school, so I picked up a lot of education from being in that environment. BTW, they were also furriers - don't leave your fur coats in mothballs. Have them cleaned, glazed and stored if you really care about preserving them. I wear fake fur, but I will say that well-kept real furs are a thing of beauty, more than on the original animal in many cases, lol.

In Manhattan, Fashion Institute of Technology is the most obvious place, but The New School is a close second. It surprises me that Johnny has not taken any classes yet. Even just basic garment construction skills would have an impact. Given Vera Wang's involvement with figure skating, I would have thought she might have given him this guidance. Maybe he has taken courses and just doesn't want to admit it, but that seems out of character given his online presence and TV show. I think it would be great for his TV show, inspiring his fashion-fans to do the same.

Community colleges, community centers (JCC, YMCA), and high school extension classes offer classes in design and clothing construction/sewing. I actually learned to use my machine in high school and they had an evening program for people who weren't in school, but wanted to learn. After college, I took a high school extension course in the evenings on "fitting patterns" which was great, I just never got around to pattern-making or actual tailoring. Our local Joann's in NJ ran several courses, but they were really trying to sell sergers machines and supplies moreso than pattern fitting/tailoring skills. (Think about it: if you can make your own patterns, you don't need to pay $10 for them at Joann's.) Look at technical schools if you want a certificate or degree, but if you just want the knowledge and skills, look at the "Continuing Education" or "Adult Education" sections of college/universities. Online, you have to seek out their departments, because those courses aren't always listed as part of the regular mainstream degree program course schedules. Usually, the department webpage has a link to a pdf of their offerings. If you don't see what you want, ask - sometimes those departments have instructors to call, but they won't add a course to the schedule unless there's interest from the community.

I know of one "Cultural Center" that offers art classes in painting, drawing, sculpture and stained glass. Once or twice a year, they offer textile courses as they call them.

The Singer resource books are excellent and most libraries carry them. They might be out of print now, but I have a half-dozen that I've purchased over the years that I refuse to part with. The illustrations are great.

Many small fabric and sewing stores seem to be offering those type of classes these days. One such store offers pattern-making, fitting, and tailoring, but their big draw is a course that teaches the student how to get the most out of THEIR OWN sewing machines. You bring it in the shop and they teach you how to use and adjust it, even how to keep it running well through proper maintenance. That's great for someone who owns a machine but isn't really sure about what they can/cannot do with it. I have two friends who loved that course - they made something really simple, like a tote bag.

Sorry, I'm thread-jacking. It's a topic near and dear to my heart.

23. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

It's also close to FIT so maybe Johnny is taking some classes after all.

p.s The SS in MS has been "discovered" so even in the worst of weather during off hours, there's a line around the block. Plus they've opened up several others around town.

24. Perky Shae Lynn

Perky Shae Lynn Well-Known Member

Johnny is Johnny. He loves to shock and outrage. You never know when he's being serious, and frankly when he's telling the truth. But he doesn't pretend to be someone he's not. I respect that a lot more then cultivating a public image that has nothing to do with who the person really is.

25. manleywoman

i understand, and agree! But . . .

. . . this proves that you don't have to have the technical knowledge at all, if you're just really good at branding yourself. There are plenty of celebs who design things with no background experience and do just fine.

Damien Hirst didn't know how to work with formaldehyde or dead animals to do what he did (or how to get diamonds on a skull, for that matter). But he outsourced his idea to someone else.

But as you say, time will tell where Johnny fits in there.

26. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Are you sure? Because people here who have met him often say how down to earth and kind and generous he is, and yet the public persona that he's been putting out there is quite different.

He seems to spend a lot of time giving himself labels and referring to what other people say about him, but what's the real person? He also spends a great deal of time talking about brands and celebrities, which is classic "by association" image making - it's possible that his personality and values perfectly match those of Chanel, Lady Gaga, Sarah Jessica Parker, Faberge and Louis Vuitton, or it could very likely be that those are the brands he aspires to, not who he is.

In the end, is he really original and outrageous or whatever, or does he just want people to think he is?

27. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

28. manleywoman

Which is ironic, since he's also said he doesn't want to be labeled himself. But he is clearly into some labels.

29. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

If PETA starts hounding Johnny I'll happily send them (another) nasty letter. Probably in one of their own postage-paid envelopes (sadly the USPS got wise to taping those to boxes of scrap metal, though.) Every time PETA does something obnoxious I go out and buy an animal byproduct that I don't actually need out of sheer spite. Maybe I'll go buy a fur-trimmed coat from Julio Julio at the next ballroom comp--they do lots of fundraisers for the ASPCA, you know, selling fur. (Hm, you know, I could see Johnny in their jeans and menswear...)

I'm curious if Johnny (and/or whoever he's working with on designs) is going to take cut and shape from Russian traditional costume, besides pulling color from Russian decorative arts...that could be interesting.

I can barely follow a sewing pattern. So no comment on the difficulty of actual design.

30. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member