Johnny Closes on 1.1 Million Dollar Condo

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Iceman, Feb 7, 2011.

1. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I have to say it's amazing how "concerned" some of you are about Johnny's future. He won't be able to afford his apartment long term. His apartment won't appreciate in value. He's going to get into trouble with his neighbors. He's now squandered the only money he's ever going to earn. Poor Johnny, however will he manage in the world? :drama:

2. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Well, not so long ago(while he was still competing) Johnny was saying something to the effect that there were times he had to choose between paying his phone bill or something else. And yet I learn in this thread from someone who knows the apartments he lived in, that the apartment rents were several thousand (as much as four) a month. This gives some indication the boy's strong point is not managing money and , perhaps, lives beyond his means. His fans know this and they are concerned. Of course, however concerned anyone of us is, we have no influence on the outcome.

3. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Don't forget Johnny had a roommate who we assume was helping with the rent, when his roommate moved out, Johnny moved to a smaller, less expensive apartment. I tend to think one of the reasons Johnny was also so strapped for money before is because he was helping to support his family and he paid for his brother's college tuition.

Whatever the reason, I just hope Johnny has an honest, trustworthy person managing his money and investing it wisely for a rainy day.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  4. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

He trained in Wayne, NJ. Where would you have had him live? Rents are very expensive in that area.

5. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Johnny's tweet from earlier today:
    So at least for now, he does seem to be pursuing a comeback. Is it hard to commute to Wayne and/or Hackensack? Or perhaps the Manhattan condo will not be his main residence and instead a landing pad for when he's in NYC?

6. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

This particular fiction has always bothered me. I know someone who knows them - his brother never went to college for any length of time if at all. At most he took a course or two.

7. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

It's not undoable to drive from Manhattan to Hackensack every day, but I wouldn't want to do it. By the time I got to the rink I'd be so aggravated I'd have to spend an hour just zipping around the ice working off my aggravation. But that's me. I'm feisty that way and I have a low tolerance for sitting in traffic. :D

Getting to Hackensack wouldn't be that difficult. It's not so very far from the GW Bridge. Depending on the time of day, his drive from Lyndhurst to Wayne with that Route 3 bottleneck could have been just as aggravating as driving from Manhattan to Hackensack, and even taken just as long.

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

There will be a TV tour of this place eventually, right? So much interest, it should be Pay-per-View.

9. Willowway

Depending on the time of day and considering the fact that he's no where near the GWB, one would have to leave over an hour to get from his new place to The Ice House.

10. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

I used to work right around the corner from where this building is - the neighborhood was such a dive back then. I'm guessing they knocked down the SRO hotel and some brownstones to build this.

Our windows faced 29th Street and we used to watch the Equalizer being filmed there - they often used the hotel for dingy setting.

It doesn't seem that there are any affordable areas of the city anymore - except for the very poor.

By the way, I used to walk back and forth to Sky Rink from here when it was still located in the office building at 33rd and 10th Avenue so Chelsea Piers is not that far if Johnny wants to use their ice. I'm sure they would love having someone of his stature training there on a regular basis.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  11. Willowway

harekrishna43 - Chelsea Piers is a little farther south and west now but in terms of a reasonable commute, you are right - it seems like the only option that makes sense. But who is the coach then? I think it's all smoke that he's blowing because his reality show is (as I have said before) built around a context of his skating life and there needs to be at least talk of a skating life even if there is actually none in the offing. More fiction.

12. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a skater who commuted from Long Island to Hackensack nearly a decade ago? (Wait, wait, don't tell me who! :p) I suppose that the traffic was much less way back then, though. :lol:

13. Willowway

Yes, there was and she won a gold medal. I think the situation is remarkably different though.

Do you honestly think Johnny is that sincere about and devoted to training? Nah...

And does Johnny have a coach (or someone) who will drive him that far round trip everyday? Nah again...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  14. kwanette

You beat me to it!

Yes, it was different. Robin Wagner was a handmaiden of sorts..and we saw where that got her.

15. skatingfan5

Rolling around on the floor of a SLC dressing room? :p Or do you mean 15 months later, when she didn't even rate a phone call from her OGM? :shuffle: Sic transit gloria!

16. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Well, it's because Johnny is a lying liar who lies! :mitchell:

What did he lie about? I don't know. That's not important. I read it on the interwebz, so it must be true. And I want a 1.1 million dollar condo in NYC and I don't have one so it's not faaaaiiiiirrrr if Johnny Weir has it. He's not even my favorite skater.

mag, IceAlisa, purple skates and 3 others like this.
  17. skatingfan5

I read something different -- that Johnny's a TRUE liar, not a lying liar. A lying liar would be telling the truth, whereas a TRUE liar would truly be lying -- not lying about his lies. These are words that someone truly posted -- they probably believe them, but I have a feeling we'll never get to the truth (about whatever it is), and that's no lie. :slinkaway

18. kwanette

:rollin:

19. Willowway

I don't know who has lied and who has told the truth and as someone just said, we'll probably never know. That said, I really believe when I step away from all of this and look at it with a minimum of emotion, that we are all being played because that's the showbiz/z-list game. Is Johnny serious about competing? He might have his moments where he'd like to come back but I don't think it's a sustained or sustainable desire. Is he editing music? Probably. Because it's part of the game - to play the public, give them what they want to hear, give the show some content (other than dry humping this or that) around one's real claim to fame, skating. Will he actually compete? Perhaps a little but will it be a sustained effort? No. There will be a roadblock 'out of his control' ; it could be anything but my money is on blaming the USFSA for something or other that hasn't happened yet. We'll hear about it - I'd really put money on that.

It's all a game and we're being played. Whatever it takes - truth, lies, exaggerations all in an inconsistent stew - it will all be used as needed as long as it helps Johnny's roadshow go on. Who's running it? No one and everyone. It's Tara, it's Johnny, it has a life of its own. Its 'truthiness' (thank you Stephen Colbert) changes from day to day or appointment to appointment. Since we all (me included) continue to discuss 'the continuing saga, the drama of being Johnny Weir' and since we 'stayed tuned for the latest episode' we have all been sucked in and it's workin' for him. Do I take him seriously any more? Not as a skater, not really. But I give him a lot of credit for making up this continuing saga called His Life and milking it (and us) for all it's worth. It's very 21st century and the saddest part of whole thing is how very much it fits today's popular culture idiom to the degree that his act is coarse, undignified and content-light. Not really his fault, not mine either but it's a pathetic commentary on our times.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
    skatefan, igniculus, mag and 3 others like this.
  20. Willowway

double post - sorry

21. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Yes, that's why I said it's doable, but it's not something *I* would want to do. But that's me, and he's him and if he doesn't have a problem sitting in that traffic to drive to and from Hackensack every day then good for him if that's what he plans to do. He's an elite skater, I'm not. I'm just someone who loves to skate and I have no problem being motivated to drive 30 minutes in whatever direction to get to a rink. So if I can be motivated to drive 30 minutes without any medals on the line then I think he's capable of sucking it up to drive an hour to train. And if he can't hack the commute to get to Jersey to train then he's just a big :cat: and he should keep his skinny little ass in Chelsea and drink some frozen Cosmos at Viceroy.

Depending on the time of day it could have taken him an hour to get from Lyndhurst to Wayne. There's a lot of road work on Route 3 and Route 46. I don't know, was he clever enough to have figured out some backroads to the rink in Wayne to cut his commute time? Maybe, maybe not. Sky Rink is closer to this fancy schmancy new condo, of course, but if his coach ain't working there then his coach ain't working there.

Suck it up, Weir! Make that long ass annoying drive!

22. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Peter Burrows is till coaching in NY state, but I don't know how far from Manhattan he is .

Maybe his condo has a helioport and Johnny could take a copter wherever he needs to go. lol

23. pjsweene

pjsweene New Member

The USFSA will probably be blamed for not getting him competition invites (or in some other manner not supporting him).

24. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I saw an episode of Star Trek where Captain James T. Kirk made an android's head explode by telling him "Everything I say is a lie."

Yes, Mistress Southpaw! :lol:

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

This reminds me of Azimov's Three Laws of robotics and his I, Robot stories.

26. Matryeshka

So, if Captain James T. Kirk (or Evan Lysacek in a Capatain James T. Kirk, specifically) went up to Johnny and/or the posters in this thread and said "Everything I say is a lie," which side would explode?

BTW, I don't really care which side it is. I just think it would be really cool to see heads explode.

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Just wait until Rachael Flatt wins Worlds in March. Heads will explode. Mine included :slinkaway

28. Matryeshka

AWESOME. :watch:

:cheer2: GO RACHAEL! :cheer2:

29. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

Johnny Who?

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  30. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: must spread more rep before giving it to Matryeshka again!

Ant