Johnny Closes on 1.1 Million Dollar Condo

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Iceman, Feb 7, 2011.

1. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

There you go. More endorsements.

2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Actually, any real estate transaction is a matter of public record. The attorney at my closing mentioned this several times.

3. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Yes, it will be quite easy to go into public records and get most of the details. Where I live it doesn't take much of an effort----just get on the computer and find on the county site.

4. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Congratulations to him on buying a fab apartment in a city that he loves.

He has been working his arse off and deserves it!

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  5. a56

a56 New Member

Perhaps. Although if I had a sugar daddy, I would have asked for a bigger, more spacious three bedroom Manhattan condo.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  6. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Going OT here but if we're talking about the same episode, the soap star was selling her *parents* place, not her own place.

I agree with those who say $1.1M is peanuts in NYC.

7. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

After he complained about how much it costs to train and that he is not rich, buying an apartment over $1 million does not do much for his cause about how financially difficult it is to be a figure skater.

Or put it this way - I don't want to hear him complain again!

8. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Absolute peanuts and in that neighborhood $1.1M will buy an average place but nothing extraordinary.

ETA: Someone upthread implied the location isn't that close to Chelsea Piers or Madison Square Park. True, in a sense, but as someone who worked for 8 years down the block at 28 West 25th Street, I can tell you truly this whole area is upcoming and undergoing a boom. The highrises that went up and the amount of scaffolding I had to dodge every morning on the way to work boggle the mind. The Flatiron District is one hot trendy nabe right now.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  9. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Except Johnny couldn't afford a condo like this when the only thing he was doing was figure skating.

Cupid and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Well he must be raking it in recently because it was only on the Howard Stern show not so long ago that he was talking about how he doesn't rake in the dollars.

11. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Yes, but didn't he recently say he was coming back for Sochi. So who is paying for it when he has to give all these other things up to train.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

No way is he really coming back for Sochi.

It wouldn't be possible to combine Z-list celebrity duties with daily training.

And if you're famous for being famous, you gotta keep being seen in order to appear in the gossip columns thus maintaining your status.

13. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I think that's relative in his mind. Perhaps he doesn't rake in the dollars as compared to Howard Stern, but few do. I think he's raking it in by most peoples standards, but seemingly not enough in his view.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well yes, if regularly buying truckloads of designer clothes is perceived as a need, then you can never have enough. ;)

15. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

how many bedrooms is it?

that seems very cheap. alot better value thant Perth (Australia)

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  16. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

He isn't really "famous for being famous"... he is famous for skating.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Which explains why all the skaters with better results than his are also buying 1.1 million condos.

And not like most Perez Hilton readers give a rat's ass about skating. ;)

18. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

1.1 million for a condo in NYC doesn't seem much money to me too. But 800+ sqft one bedroom seems HUGE to me. Mine is 650 sqft and it is a perfect size for me. I don't know what I would do with the extra 150-200 or so sqft. Well, I know what I would do with it but I probably would've bought a smaller one bedroom (and, presumably, cheaper) or pay more for that second bedroom.

How much could he rent his place?

I love real estate shows. Johnny on House Hunters would rock. I wish his show was shown on Canada. Come on, OUT TV!

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Congrats to Johnny on his new condo. I guess he can't tell the kiddies in his old school he isn't rich now. Anyways where I come from you've got to be rich to afford such an abode.

20. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

It was on Howard Stern that he said that last year he'd made $500,000. I think by most people's standards that is raking it in.

Ant

21. luCN

luCN New Member

well,I think this whole topic has nothing about figure skating

the only thing I know now is Johnny Weir will never comeback to compete again,even though he keep saying that.and Johnny Weir never been that poor,but kept asking for money and expensive gifts from fans. A true LIAR

no he needn't,he can just sell part of the gifts from japanese fans and then buy a even larger apartment by cash.if that Easter Egg he mentioned in his book is real,it may worth over a million dollars ╮(╯_╰)╭

22. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

A true LIAR?

23. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Now I'm really shaking my head over why some people are so upset that Johnny bought a condo? I don't remember such a "debate" when other skaters bought houses or cars etc.

Rottie and (deleted member) like this.
  24. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Yeah not like those disgusting fake liars :rofl:

I don't get it either. I've had my fair share of criticisms of Johnny, but buying a place to live is not one of them.

I also don't understand how people do not understand that he now has a lot more money than he ever did skating. It's surely not a difficult concept to grasp - you skate all the time, you earn little money and spend most of it on ice time/coaching. You stop and cash in on your fame = more money comes in.

My criticism of Johnny way back when was that i didn't believe in his crying poverty when he flashed his Louis Vuiton all over the show. If you can afford accessories I can't, working full time, then you are not "poor" or if you are you need to have a word with yourself.

Ant

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I'm assuming that a lot of what we see him wearing at events is loaned by the designers or stylists, or given to him. It all tends to look a little like cast offs from the bargain bin. :lol:

26. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Because those other skaters haven't been running their mouths off for years about how "poor" they are.

27. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I'm sure that Johnny likes it that way; the Angels can easily find him. (wink)

In general - WOW, Feel the Hate with this topic. I read the overnight postings and this is seriously disturbing...how many haterz are spewing venom over Johnny's success. Serious jealousy against such a beautiful and talented individual.

BlackPack and (deleted member) like this.
  28. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Exactly. If that's what he wants to do, fine, it's his money (I assume, that or his loan) but then it would be VERY inappropriate for him to again complain about not having any money.

Who knows, maybe that WAS a real Fabrege egg and he sold it...

29. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Incidentally, the median income for Manhattan is about $47,000. (That means half the folks who live there make less than that.) If Johnny's 1.1 million is peanuts, what do you call what those folks pay for where they live? :confused:

In any case, I'd say Johnny is doing very well for himself! Good for him!

eta: nanopeanuts?

30. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Which is why most celebreties buy thier real estate in "corporate" names to try to keep people like you and I from easily tracking them down.