Johnny Closes on 1.1 Million Dollar Condo

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Iceman, Feb 7, 2011.

1. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Just my off topic vent, I wish the PETA people would put as much effort into protesting puppy mills as they do attacking people who wear fur. If you're not familiar with puppy mills, google and watch but not on a full stomach.

2. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  3. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the links HisW. Johnny is looking fabulous!!

4. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Maybe someone could help me, the whole point of the runway show is to introduce your clothing to potential buyers so why all the crazy make up on the models? The emphasis should be on the clothing.

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

The makeup is mainly for effect, I think. A fashion show is part-theater, after all. A lot of the time, it's more about concepts; most of the OTT stuff you see on the runway isn't meant to go directly to the public. What you might see is some of the design elements in certain designs in some of the off-the-rack stuff, I think. Sort of like concept cars at the auto shows.

Clearly, Johnny's get up isn't street-ready. But don't be surprised if you see some guys wearing a beglittered beanie this spring. :lol:

6. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Why such a short runway? You hardly had time to examine the clothes. Surprised though that a plaid shirt and a pair of jeans----which has been around since....----is something to show at a show as being original.

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The whole Cabaret meets Thoroughly Modern Millie Meets Last of the Mohicans get-up makes him look like a Hollywood montage.

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Eh, the leather loincloth would've looked better on a model who's lean and cut. It looks kind of silly on Johnny's rather flabby lower body.

10. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

Um...that would look really stupid on anyone. :lol:

11. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

More skaters should use Thoroughly Modern Millie for their programs. :)

12. meggonzo

meggonzo Well-Known Member

Johnny is flabby?! :scream:

13. REO

REO New Member

Right?! Why would they use a big old tub of lard like Johnny and not someone really hot like orbitz must be? I just don't get it. LOL

14. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

:huh:
    I think the question is not why wouldn't you hire Orbitz, but rather in an industry filled with this and this why would you hire someone like Johnny?

Everybody is entitled to an opinion, it's too bad some can't have one without unnecessary ridicule as a response.

15. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

The dog in the first pic would look great in that outfit!!!!! rotfl

16. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Johnny's not flabby - the cut's just wrong. :p

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  17. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

:respec: That was exactly my point. I would have Johnny in clothings and leave the 3/4 naked look to the professional adonises.

18. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

Oh god YES! :grope:

19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I am amazed at how many people do think Johnny is sexy. To each his own. But the shows he is modeling in - are they not charity shows with celebs modeling the clothes?

20. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

No, the shows Johnny has been modeling in this week are part of New York's Fashion Week. While designers may ask celebrities to be guest models, the models in the shows are professional models.

21. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/johnnyweir/gallery_nigel.html

Hmmm, even though the above photos are from circa 2004, still Johnny seems able to hold his own with the best of the professionals.

But berthesghost ... here I thought you were the master of ridicule and sarcasm. Anyway, why not be like Johnny and have the courage to hold onto your opinions in the face of what you feel is ridicule? Some points being made are just personal observations, and some of these so-called opinions of Johnny seem more to me like poking fun of him, looking down on him, envying him, ridiculing him, but maybe it's "just my 'magination runnin' away with me."

22. psycho

psycho New Member

Funny, I think that calling anyone whose body looks the way Johnny's does "flabby" and "paunchy" is the epitome of unnecessary ridicule. Some people seem to be able to dish it out, but can't take the heat. :p

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhhh, I see.

24. aftershocks

Schmoozin&#8217; wid zee z-list looks like fun

No doubt Johnny&#8217;s high profile as a skater led to him meeting and becoming friends with people in the design community, which led to his first modeling gigs during Fashion Week and to his participation in some rockin&#8217; photo shoots over the years. Cool that he now has more time to be involved in walking the runway, designing a bit himself, and skating too during Fashion Week festivities. Continued modeling gigs are probably forthcoming, as Johnny seems to do a great job, whilst &#8220;having fun and making a living.&#8221; He likely will &#8220;keep it up&#8221; as long as there are designers eager to have him walk the runway in their shows.

Funnily enough, Johnny quipped during his Closet Confessions video for bluefly.com that he aspires to be Kate Moss -- LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/user/stuckonstyle#p/search/1/7-vuitukYhA

?Johnny Paunch? &#8211; could be the makeup, lighting and camera angle. Not speaking from actual up close and personal touch test, but surely what some see as the &#8220;beginnings of a paunch&#8221; is still all muscle, no flab. BTW, iceman, and orbitz, have you checked your own mid-sections lately? :p

25. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

You just don't get it. Neither iceman nor I are publicly displaying our half naked bodies to the public, fashion or otherwise.

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I am continually amused when people bring street standards into skating, dance or fashion when it comes to looks and fitness.

27. aftershocks

No problem, orbitz. More than likely ... you don't get it either ... not a world-ending dilemma.

It would seem so – input and final approval was probably included in Johnny’s contract. He certainly had a lot to do with the cover theme/ photo. Many writers have little or no say, nor final approval, in how cover art and text on the inside flap are put together.

BTW, you seem to be such a stickler, overedge. And maybe it’s contagious --:p -- Johnny seemingly could teach us all something about adding a bit more joie de vivre and z-list fun to our schedules.

Ouch… :lol:

Analysis – nah, more like commentary
    Rigorous – hardly
    Reliable – hmmm, who knows? Since I’m not a Johnny-come lately, let’s just say I’m relying upon my considerable memories and impressions from following Johnny’s career over the years on and off the ice. Also, relying upon what Johnny relates and reveals in his book.

I don’t think it mattered whether the boys fell for Johnny’s continued flaunting of the streamers. They either kept up their taunts, got tired and gave up, or came over to Johnny’s way of thinking – maybe girly streamers don’t have to be for girls only. ;) -- In the long run, I think what matters is that Johnny gussied up the streamers, got back on his bike, went back to the boys’ hangout and stood up for himself and his choices. Even if it was for something as “silly” as streamers on a bicycle, he refused to be bullied into letting go of his sense of self and conforming to others’ expectations.

Reminds me of Johnny’s admitted immaturity in pulling out of a fs competition because the judges told him not to wear his sp costume (for The PuppetMaster). He later wore the costume at 2003 Nationals. The costume may have been seen as daring/ too fabulous, but gah, why? In fact, the costume is very memorable, and it was a breath of fresh air at the time – something different that worked beautifully with Johnny’s music and choreo. It was the beginning of his breaking the mold …. LOL, he was so cute – “I got a 5.8.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhFvPHB_aKg

28. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

You are wrong. For autobiographies (especially celebrity ones) this sort of approval or control is almost standard. If you are writing a book to promote your public image, why would you risk some editor or copywriter adding wording that would undercut what you are trying to promote?

29. aftershocks

Guess that's the "mysterious and puzzling" thing about Johnny Sport, IceAlisa, it can be so amusing and confusing. Be sure to try out that Haute Dogs recipe. If you're a vegetarian, try mixing things up a little with say... some eggplant and mushrooms-- that's what cooking is all about.

From The Quotable Johnny Weir, the most recent quote about what Johnny plans to do on Valentine’s Day, is hilarious, and the quote circa 2004, is as relevant today as it was then. It’s gotta be my fave of the moment:

When fans go negative, I’d love to see them go out there and do it better …

http://quotablejohnnyweir.blogspot.com/

Yes, upon further reflection and deep but not so “rigorous” examination, I think Johnny really is “original, outrageous or whatever.” :p

And maybe he’s not all that puzzling or mysterious either, but just a bundle of contradictions … like most human beings.

Johnny Weir: Everybody Loves Me
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGSjhhKJerM&feature=related

Johnny Weir -- U.R.A. Fever
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL3k3euvT5A&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Anywhere But Here -- Johnny Weir
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nj3dcOAwog&NR=1&feature=fvwp

The last vid montage above says it all for me about Johnny's journey

Is this the end of the moment or just a beautiful unfolding ... Everything I never thought could happen or come to pass ... I wonder if maybe I could be all you ever dreamed ... You are beautiful inside, so lovely.

A Big Thanks to OMGASY :)

In’t it better to at least try to live life on your own terms, and have few or no regrets? Those who don’t realize already will likely find out sooner or later: Life can not always be planned out to a “t” – and there’s always a chance that it might come crashing down all around us. At which point, you either pick up the pieces and keep on truckin’ or give up altogether, or maybe exist in a kind of limbo between what might have been and what is.

You either get busy livin’ or get busy dying. Regina Brett

30. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member