Johnny at Nationals 2011, Getting Trophy - What Will Happen?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Frau Muller, Jan 20, 2011.

?

How will the USFSA handle the Johnny-Reader's Choice Trophy situation?

Poll closed Jan 31, 2011.
  1. Johnny gets trophy in person, during the Exhib or in-between a competitive session of Nationals

54 vote(s)
    72.0%
  2. Johnny gets trophy...in a special ceremony at Art Devlin's, in Lake Placid, the week before Natls

6 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. USFSA announces mistake in counting votes; the award will really go to Evan at the Exhib

9 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. The trophy will be mysteriously "lost" and cannot be awarded. Sorry, Johnny!

6 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Fact: Johnny Weir is the USFSA Skating Magazine's Reader's Favorite skater for 2010.

Fact: The trophy has to be given. It cannot be taken back (we think).

Fact: USFSA had, a while back, announced that it's Reader's Choice trophy would be presented to the selected skater during the 2011 Nationals in Greensboro.

Unknown: Will Johnny's book and 'attitude' about the USFSA have an effect on whether or not the presentation ceremony happens? What will happen?

Vote for your guess on what will happen. I am still hoping that he gets the trophy at Nationals, so I voted #1. :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I had to pick the third option. :rollin:

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

:confused: Was Johnny's book *that* damaging to the USFS that they would consider not giving him the award, or not giving it to him in public? Sure, he said some not very nice things, but he certainly isn't the first skater (in the US or elsewhere) to publicly diss their federation. I am sure that USFS knows he didn't get along with them, so I can't see his remarks being that damaging that they would want to get back at him through the award.

It would also be a publicity disaster for USFS to cancel the award or the award ceremony, and I can't see them being foolish enough to risk that.

The bigger question might be, will Johnny show up for the ceremony, and if so how he will act in the ceremony (or dress for it :lol:) if he truly is that mad at USFS or wants to make some kind of statement about how they allegedly treated him.

4. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

Purple and Michelle Kwan, obviously. :blah:

5. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Again, Johnny wouldn't think of not showing up. That award was earned as a result of his fans. Bypassing it would be dissing his fans. He'll be there. If he's not, it's not because he doesn't want to be there.

6. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Frau Muller, you keep bringing this up, but as far as I can see you're the only one who has any doubts on the subject. Why not just relax and expect that everything will go fine and he'll get the trophy? Awards typically aren't withdrawn just because someone writes a book.

oleada and (deleted member) like this.
  7. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

It's a bit Priscilla (Queen of the Dessert, not Priscilla Hill), but I'd love him to arrive atop his touring bus (driven onto the ice naturally) sitting on a big silver stiletto throwing glitter to the audience, before being carried down by a cherry picker operated by the president of the USFSA to collect the award.

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Helenista

Helenista New Member

That would be classic!

9. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

I'm the only one who voted for the trophy being mysteriously lost? :)

10. GoldenMichelle

GoldenMichelle Active Member

Well it *is* the Michelle Kwan trophy. I don't see purple winning this one though :D

11. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Is there another option - the ceremony goes ahead as planned, Johnny receives the trophy, but years later Johnny will reveal that the people presenting the awards all took turns to spit on him before he went out and would later go on to find his dog and kick it, and that's why him receiving the trophy was really a way of holding him back and being critical :drama:

Ant

CynicElle and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Frau Muller

Ooooo...because it is delicious speculation. :D

Essence of Soy, I love-love-love the idea of Johnny showing up in his touring bus. He absolutely must wear a hot-pink boa, to stand-out from the USFSA officials who undoubtedly will be wearing their standard-issue navy blazers,maroon ties, khaki pants and brown loafers.

13. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

lmao at option 2.. I guess they'll have to give him a trophy but maybe they'll skip the ceremony

14. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I think Johnny will be front and center. USFSA is using him in their TV ads for nationals. They passed over Rachael and Mirai.

15. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

I think the presentation of the award has always been very lowkey. As far as I remember it's the editor of Skating magazine saying a few words and presenting the award in the kiss & cry. There's no big ceremony.

16. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I had to pick the second choice which makes me :rofl: only because I know that its not true.

17. Frau Muller

Just a few days before Johnny picks up his trophy! Be there or be square!!!

18. Frau Muller

Apparently, Johnny is not in Greensboro...at least not yet. During last night's Sr Men's SPs, he Tweeted that he was enjoying watching the coverage from home, in his undies (ha!), & wished all competitors well.

So...what's going on? Maybe Johnny will be flown to Greensboro in "photo-finish style" to pick-up his Reader's Choice Trophy tomorrow? Did the big tour bus get a flat tire?

19. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

Johnny just sent this tweet:

20. Frau Muller

Hoorah!

21. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

So when, exactly, are they gonna do this award anyway? Even if it is only a one-minute, low key thing in the K&C? If it will be while IN is broadcasting, I wanna make sure to be watching.

22. Lexxandra

Lexxandra Active Member

From icenetwork.com twitter:

23. Frau Muller

Thanks. So it will happen right after the first 2 flights of the Men's finals, before the break leading up to the 4pm NBC live telecast of the last 2 groups.

24. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

LOL, I love your scenario, essence of soy! It would add some drama and excitement to the as usual, very staid proceedings. Will be lovely to see Johnny, what he's wearing, and whether they will allow him some time to actually say anything.

Really laughable, but unsurprising, how golden boy Ev gets his own presser all by himself, posted up on ice network -- while the senior mens' post sp presser has been missing in action. Guess it's still all about Ev*, even when he's not in the competition. Well, perhaps the fifth option you left out Frau Muller is: Johnny gets the MK award sandwiched in between the early and later round mens event with as little fanfare as possible, while Ev gets his own presser, and is named USOC Athlete of the Year, and is invited to skate in the Exhibition Gala, even though he was not part of the competition.

Gosh, I don't think there is anything Ev has skated to that I'm itching to see again. He's actually IMO probably a better dancer than a skater (funnily enough). Oh but, sorry, yes he's our Olympic Champion and truly deserves our respect and our cheers and our love. Ev's okay really (I'm just teasing ;) )... especially since he won it all and relaxed a little and feels like he came out of Johnny Weir's shadow. I'd just rather see Johnny than Evan skate in the Exhibition. Or, better yet, allow this event to belong to the skaters who competed and placed in the top spots.

*All About Ev -- catchy title for a book

25. Wyliefan

Yeah, I can tell. :rofl: :rofl:

26. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Lambiel was invited to perform in 2011 Europeans gala, so why not Lysacek (the reigning Olympic champion) in US Nationals...?

27. Frau Muller

So how was the presentation?

Also - How come NBC kept using the zoom lens to show us a fuzzy image of Evan sitting in his bulletproof-glass skybox, yet never mentioned or bothered to seek-out Johnny, who supposedly was in the audience during yesterday's Men's LPs? I'm sure that NBC would not have needed a zoom lens to find Johnny, LOL!

NBC also had a pre-recorded backstage interview with Evan, by Andrea Joyce. But Andrea couldn't find Johnny?

28. Wyliefan

:rofl: What -- since the presentation went off without a hitch, you have to find something new to be upset about?

29. Frau Muller

So there was a presentation? I was asking if anyone saw it & a report. Read the top of my post, you Do-Do Bird.

30. Wyliefan

The presentation has been reported on all over the boards.