Johnny Announces He Will Compete in Sochi

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Nov 8, 2010.

1. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  2. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Ditto. We'll see whether he can qualify at that point. . .

3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

He is in no position to just announce he will skate in Sochi, which is not that what that silly gossip fluff you linked to said either. He can only accurately state he would like to try and make the team for Sochi. He barely made the Olympic team in 2010, I would actually be shocked if he made it in 2014 (should he even try which I also highly doubt).

4. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

If Todd Eldrige could do it Johnny can.

5. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Sure he will...

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Elredge is a World Champion, 6 time U.S Champion and 6 time World medalist. Unlike Johnny he could return at 30 and be almost gauranteed a spot because of who he is.

7. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

If he has the desire and the work ethic over the next three-plus years, then good luck to him! Hope he doesn't do a "Sasha" and try to come back during Olympic season. He'll need to really commit if Sochi is in his plans.

8. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

If he can make the team, that is!

9. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

Kind of hard to believe since he is running off in so many different directions. This year, since the Olympics, he has done little more on ice than slink around to teen music. If he was really interested in competing with all of the strong young kids and their quads he would have to start working on artistry and begin learning about music. Of course, I doubt that we will ever see him compete again. He seems to say whatever comes into his head at the moment. I wish him well whatever he chooses to do.

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I don't think "announces" is the accurate verb for this thread title since all he is quoted as saying to HollywoodLife.com is:

11. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

Weir, Plushenko, and Joubert are all going to be skating at the next Olympics with walkers. :p

TDsk8, PeterG, sk9tingfan and 3 others like this.
  12. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I would love to compete in Sochi too. Mind you, Johnny has a considerably better chance than I do :)
    But if he really wants to, he should start competing sooner rather than later. I think Sasha Cohen showed us that being an ex-Olympian doesn't guarantee you any kind of special treatment if you decide to go for another Olympics.

13. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

He did not announce anything.

14. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Exactly. The publication is a total gossip rag that is trying to invent a story out of nothing.

At any rate, I seem to remember Johnny saying more than a few times that he wouldn't publish his book until he was done competing. His book is coming out in January. :shuffle:

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  15. luCN

luCN New Member

this thread title is really silly.Johnny didn't announce anything.

Yes,maybe sometimes he's a big mouth,but most times it's the reporter's faulse:eek::angryfire:mad:

16. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Uh, yeah ... consider the source of so-called announcement. This is sooo not news -- just an excuse to clog the netwaves ... Neither Johnny nor Evan have said they are not competing again in the eligible ranks, because these days few skaters will actually say they are retiring, which allows them to leave their options open. However, I'd be surprised to see either Evan or Johnny actually compete in Sochi ... on Olympic ice that is. ;)

Goes without saying the tone of this missive (by the writer) is rather clueless, unsurprisingly.

Next thing you know, "Hollywood Life" will scoop that Tara Lipinski will skate in Sochi with commentary by Michelle Kwan ,,, :p

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  17. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Johnny will get to skate in the Opening ceremony with Plushy and Yagudin :p

18. aftershocks

Sounds about right to me. :) I'm convinced Johnny will be in Sochi in some capacity. Right now, I believe Johnny is trying to lose a bit of weight (pretty sure it only gets more difficult to be in tip-top shape as an athlete the older you get). :p Not saying it's impossible... Plushenko coming back for a third Olympics was truly unbelievable, especially after all the injuries he went through earlier in his career. In any case, I think Johnny is not really contemplating facing the rigors of competition, the downside, the politics, and the likely flat-out rejection he'd face from U.S. Fed.

@BittyBug -- maybe by Sochi, Johnny will be coming out with another book, and new costumes for a rapidly growing skater clientele, rather than a competitive Olympic program. I'd love to see Johnny commentating too -- perhaps he will for American or Russian broadcasts.

19. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Sasha is more than just an ex-Olympian, she is an Olympic silver medalist. Weir is an ex-Olympian.

What about Olympic gold medalists Ilia Kulik and Alexei Urmanov? Russia has many Olympic gold medalists to choose from.

More likely that there will be a thread about Kwan competing in Sochi :lol:.

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

And an interview in which she says she'd like to be at Sochi, which will inspire a headline that she's coming back to compete.

21. aftershocks

Sasha's a former Olympian who won a silver medal, in the process of blowing a gold medal opportunity. Johnny's a two-time Olympian who placed 2nd after his Olympic short program in 2006 (arguably a first place performance), and then fell to 5th overall after blowing a chance to medal with a "deer-in-headlights" lp skate.

Maybe all of them will skate together in a spectacular opening ceremony. :D Everyone knows Johnny loves Russia, and Russian skaters, etc. They seem to love him back -- he even received an award in honor of his love for Russia and his friendship with Russian people.

Highly likely... one of those :p threads.

22. Sk8tn

Sk8tn New Member

Well, Eldredge also had maintained all of his technical difficulty and was dang close on adding the quad (one ratified quad at Sectionals).

If Johnny is going to get back into at least the same shape he was in at the Olympics, who knows what can happen?

23. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

:p:lol: Johnny would never announce that he will compete in Sochi. He knows he would have to qualify first if he even has the desire to try for another Olympics.

24. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

It's funny -- if there was one member of the Vancouver Class of 2010 I felt certain would turn pro after the Olympics and never look back, it was Johnny. I doubt like hell that he's going to compete as an eligible again, but I'm really surprised that he's left the door open.

25. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

He's working on his 3a again:
    JohnnyGWeir Going ice skating and gossiping with @TanithJLB. Triple axeling today. God protect my ankles! about 1 hour ago

Twitter

26. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

If he tries to compete for the US, he would need to qualify, but Azerbaijan and some of the other small ex-Soviet republics would probably welcome him with open arms...I guess Baltic countries would need to be excluded both because their citizenship requirements are stricter and the whole love-of-everything-Russian wouldn't go over quite as well.

27. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Come on guys. We're all pretty media savvy and way more than us, Johnny is media savvier. The interest in him (and his show) is going to be much higher (and the sponsors will like it much more) if he is perceived as still being "in the hunt," a serious skater still trying to win one for his country, and so on. A few non-specific mentions of Sochi here and there are probably going to be standard for a while.

Jenny and (deleted member) like this.
  28. igniculus

igniculus Well-Known Member

Still, the two restuls cannot be compared in any way.

29. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

OMG, you ARE serious, aren't you :rofl:?

30. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew