John Nicks Hints At Retiring Before Sochi

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I disagree. A clean Sasha would have beat Arakawa at the Olympics in 2006 especially since Arakawa didn't do her 3-3 combo's.

2. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Completely agree. If Sasha had skated clean in her FS, she would have won comfortably.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. RD

RD Well-Known Member

You HAVE to consider that Arakawa might have stepped up her game if Cohen had raised the bar higher. That said, it is not 100% guaranteed she would have succeeded.

As it was, Arakawa only needed to be clean to assure herself silver. I don't think even she thought Slute would mess up and she'd end up backing into the OGM.

No point in playing "woulda coulda shoulda" though, what's done is (long!) done.

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Cohen got three ordinals over Arakawa in 2004, and then Kwan took those and another one. It was a 5-4 split in the end.

5. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Well the biggest international title she won was GPF and that was 2002-3, and the last international competition she won was a GP during the 2003-4 season, so while she was a co-favorite for the Turin title, losing it wasn't really all that unexpected.

6. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

The odds of Arakawa stepping up was much higher than Cohen doing the same anyway. ;) The likelihood of Cohen going clean under that kind of pressure was so low that if it were to happen, at least one of Slutskaya, Arakawa or even Kwan / Kostner was bound to have also gone clean.

7. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

:scream: Hill was the reason Wagner's jumps were so troublesome - she absolutely overlooked or at least failed to fix Wagner's flutz, 2 footing, UR and toe-axel issues.

8. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Thank you; I was just about to mention this podcast, which showcases his intelligence and humour very nicely. One of my favourites, btw.

9. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

I really really hope she doesn't go back to Hill. Personally if John Nicks retires I hope HE chooses who he thinks is the best fit for Ashley. He surely has lots of connections and I trust his judgement and expertise 100%.

I would not want to see someone who may very well be going in to Sochi as a promising favourite for a medal, with just any coach. It would be good for her to have someone with a lot of experience such as Mr. Nicks. Unfortunately I don't lump Hill in there, and it's evident that Ashley and Hill weren't the perfect match based on her results (lack-of) and slow improvement.

10. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I think of Mills as her primary day to day coach, with Nicks as chairman of the board, so to speak. So it's rather gracious of Nicks to create an opportunity for Mills to formally take over the reins in such a prestigious year. That's my take on this, anyway.

11. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

It is interesting some people think Cohen could have won the 2002 Olympics. I really dont think that at all. First off Hughes received marks of mostly 5.8, 5.8. There was only room for 2 skaters, and we know which 2 skaters those were. Probably those judges were planning on going 5.8, 5.9 for a clean Kwan (with or without her triple toe-triple toe), leaving them the option of 5.9, 5.9, 6.0, 5.8, 5.9, 5.8 for Slutskaya to place her either 1st or 2nd behind Michelle if she skated clean depending on what they felt after seeing both, if she did a triple-triple, which triple-triple she did, etc...I dont see the judges going higher than that for Cohen with Kwan and Slutskaya still left to skate, space would be getting too tight at that point. Also that fall on the back end of a triple lutz-triple to attempt was her only mistake and her marks were nowhere near Hughes. I doubt she would have been place over Hughes even had she landed it. In fact she might well have still finished 4th I suspect, or best case maybe 3rd bumping Michelle off the podium.

2004 Worlds, 2006 Olympics, 2006 Worlds, every Nationals from 2003-2006 were all hers to win though (2006 Olympics given the other performances), and she blew them all, minus the 2006 Nationals which she won convincingly.

12. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

me too and i agree that they are. If he does retire, i hope that Ashley is not as reliant upon him as Angela Nikodinov was on Elena!

I think that it's worth noting that Tatiana Tarasova has retired a couple times and been brought back to train atheletes. Right now, she is active with Elena B's students but does not do the day to day coaching.

I think that drawing parallels between Tat and John are easy in that they both take talented skaters with potential and streamline their processes, make their basics stronger and organize their training. Thats basically what Tat did for Sasha and what John has done with Ashley and other skaters.

One thing is for sure and thats that ashley is very lucky to have worked with a master of her sport. I wish them both the best

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

While I have nothing but reverence for John Nicks, I feel for Ashley. She had found the sweet spot of her skating with him and hope she can continue her course. Also, hope arakwafan2006 is right and that Mr. Nicks retires only partially, as in he may not attend competitions but would still consult Ashley and others. He is just too good and too valuable for the sport! :respec:

14. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

I agree. Shizuka was going for a medal, not necessarily for gold. When Sasha faltered, she didn't need to do her 3-3.

15. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I think that's probably what will happen. He's been doing this for 50 or 60+ years so I don't think he'll be able to quit "cold turkey" so to speak. I don't think he'll be there for the early morning practices, or everyday practices, and he probably won't travel to the competitions. He'd probably just come in to consult with his major students before big competitions, tweak the technique, critique the performances, iron out the details, etc. Who else does Nicks have (besides Ashley) who is a top competitor?

I agree. You have to remember that in 2002 Sasha was in the same position Mirai was in back in 2010. It was her debut international competition. She'd never been to worlds so the Olympics were her first major international stage. That lack of international cred probably did her no favors in terms of scoring and the fact that she had mistakes in her LP didn't help either.

16. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Here is another article on John Nicks. It reads:-

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  17. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

*snort* Those two could have their own comedy show. I'd totally watch it, too.

18. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

lol i knew it, the old badger is just putting everybody on, he'll work till the bloody end imho. :D

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Great idea. :lol:

20. bek

bek Guest

I don't want to sound all age discriminatory but given Mr Nicks age, if he feels like it would be a good idea to retire now, I think he needs to listen to his instincts...The stress of the Olympics and a trip to Sochi may be too much for even the healthiest person his age.

He'll probably never retire completely, and I'm sure he can consult etc. But if I were his children and retirement was coming in my mind, I'd be encouraging it too well. At least retirement as the primary coach.....Then again perhaps the thrill of coaching is what has him in such great shape. He just needs to listen to his own body either way.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2013