John Nicks Hints At Retiring Before Sochi

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Jan 14, 2013.

1. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

What a wonderful interview.
    I hope that he will decide to coach until after Sochi.
    When he does retire, he will be missed by generations of skaters.

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

What will Ashley do if he retires before Sochi? May be he has already given her enough confidence to carry on without him, but with another coach.

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Hopefully he has discussed this with Ashley and she has a game plan.

5. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Ashley is also coached by Phillip Mills, so it seems likely that Mills could take her to Sochi if she makes the team.

6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Mr Nicks is a true legend of the sport. I loved his appearances in Rise - they really showed his personality and sense of humor.

7. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

The retirement of a coach of this stature is such a loss. I hope this means that he is just not accepting new students but will continue coaching Wagner through Sochi. He has made all the difference for her.

ETA: Sonia Bianchetti left a very nice compliment in the comment section.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Here were Mr. Nicks' exact words re. his possible retirement:

9. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I didn't know he was born british!
    He always looked a bit different to me than the average american coach. For example, as he mentions, his humor during press conferences with Cohen, or the way he would talk about her. I remember when Cohen was at junior worlds, it must have been the late '90s (I only watched the footage later on), he said something like: "She has a mind of her own". Carroll would always control himself, but I believe he wouldn't have known how to be this humorous when something was messing with his directions as a coach.

10. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Wow, that's...a big hint. Oy. I just hope he and Ashley have a solid plan going forward. He's a coaching legend, that's for sure.

11. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Sounds like he and Ashley have sorted out things forehand and I feel relieved that he'd not be hesitant giving Ashley what she needs heading Sochi. She's in good hands:)

He is truly an iconic figure in this sport. With all those amazing skaters he has taught, I think a documentary/film about his life would be quite something!

12. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

13. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I think he came to the US when they needed coaches badly after that tragic plane crash. I know the door was wide open for other coaches to immigrate.

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

From this March 2012 John Nicks article that I posted last year: http://www.ocregister.com/sports/nicks-346526-skating-olympic.html

15. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Here's my podcast interview with him a few years back. He talks a lot about his history. There's a transcription of interview highlights for those who can't listen to the full interview. But his sense of humor is evident int eh interview, so I hope you can listen.

16. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I can't quite see him REALLY retiring before Sochi -- how many times now has a student been able to talk him out of it? -- but whatever he does, I wish him the best. And I'll miss him when he really does go.

17. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Sad to see him go but coaching Ashley to a second US title and possibly a world medal would be a great way to go out. I'm sure she'll continue to consult with him next year but I get where he's coming from. He's 83 years old...how much longer can people possibly expect him to keep teaching?

His career and body of work has been amazing and I really think what he's done with Ashley this past season and a half is a testament to his skill as a coach. Even at the end of his career, he's still got it! ;)

18. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Interview sk9tingfan! Mr. Nicks seems to be a very nice & wise coach, who is really settled in himself. I really like him, he never seems to make negetive comments on other skaters (at least I didn't notice), but is only promoting his own skaters in a very pleasant way. :)

About his retirement - maybe it will take place gradually? He might stop to coach after 2013 except for Ashely Wagner, cause I don't think he'll leave her alone before the so very important Olympic season? In addition Sochi might be a very nice final curtain for him! ;)

19. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

I hope he continues until Sochi with Ashley. They are such a great team

20. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Excellent, excellent interview, loved reading it! :respec:

The one thing that stood out to me was Mr. Nicks close relationship with Sasha, and how when asked about disappointment he mentioned Sasha missing the gold medal in Torino. :( You can tell she was very very special to him. Lol she always reminded me of him, just a girl is all, only difference. :D

Concerning retirement, it brings to mind what my mom told me, sitting around waiting to die. That's why she's still working, and she loves what she does. In fact she called me today during her lunch hour to say she *finally* met her heroine, a 91 yr. old woman that still works for Boeing. She started working there at age 20, and told my mom she doesn't plan on retiring tells she hits the 75 year mark, which will make her the longest employee at Boeing in history! *cheers* Lol my mom just couldn't stop gushing about her, especially the fact that my mom's mom would have been as old as her. :)

Anyhow, just some advice for Mr. Nicks. ;)

Oops, one more thing, I couldn't believe when I read a poster was amazed that Tail Babilonia, a 50-something year old woman still calls Mr. Nicks Mr. Nicks. It's called R-E-S-P-E-C-T! :mad:

21. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Sasha losing out on the gold medal at the 2006 Olympics was my greatest ever disappointment as a figure skating fan. I was absolutely gutted. She had so much talent, grace, and elegance on the ice - she deserved to end her career with an Olympic gold, and its a tragedy that she didn't. If only she could have held it together in the LP

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  22. whoa

whoa Member

For me as well. I wanted to see her win that gold medal so badly. I still remember racing home to catch the NBC broadcast, and as soon as I turned on the TV just in time for her program, I knew it wasn't going to happen. The look on her face was totally different from two days prior. I hope Ashley can win a worlds medal this season and send off Mr. Nicks (officially, at least) on a high note!

23. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Hopefully Nicks will stay through Sochi. Please....

24. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Loved the interview.
    I think Mr. Nicks will do what's right for him. Track to Sochi from California is brutal. I only hope he flies first class. And even then it is brutal.
    Best wishes to Mr. Nicks, and to Ashley. Hope everything works out great for both of them. Coaching, fishing, health, success and the big picture; all of it.

25. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

As OG take place only every 4 years, you also need a good portion of luck to win. So it might be disappointing that Sasha didn't win Olympic Gold, but it happened to some really outstandingly talented skaters (e.g. Kurt Browning, Usowa / Zhulin). However, I find it pretty much disappointing that she never won Worlds. :(

26. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

The video is private, what's in it?

It was nice to read.

As strange as it may sound, I was bummed when she lost in Turin as much as I was every other time she lost a title, and though proved wrong every time, I was always hoped she could rise for the occasion.
    She could have won 2002 as easily as Hughes did, she did her triple-triple in warm up, and then sat it down in the free skate.
    And 2006 world title was her to lose, which she promptly proceeded to do.

True. I think she was able to catch silver only because after the second mistake she was pretty much sure a medal was out of question, which relaxed her. Flashbacks from 2002 probably made her think that way, and thank lord she did.

27. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Maybe Ashley will return to Hlll. You could read that into the statement she made when she left Hill.

It was hard to tell Priscilla I was going to make a change because she's someone who has done so much for me," Wagner said. "It's not that she wasn't good enough, because that wasn't the case. Not at all. And as time goes by, hopefully, we can pick up where we left off."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110614&content_id=20463448&vkey=ice_news

28. 2sk8

2sk8 Active Member

Well, maybe, but Phillip Mills is an amazing coach who really has been A LOT of training time with Ashley, so I wouldn't count him out! In any case, only time will tell. :)

29. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I find it sad that he thinks Ashley can do better than him, when switching over to him was clearly exactly what he needed. Mr. Nicks is an absolutely amazing coach, and my heart really constricts at the idea of him retiring before seeing her through to the Olympics.

That said, he's definitely earned it, and if he chooses to retire I won't blame him at all. I just want Ashley on the podium in Sochi super, super bad.

30. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Kwan doesn't have one, either.

You know, I always SMH when posters say Cohen should have won this or Cohen should have won that. She didn't, and in all except one case (2006 Worlds) it was someone else's night that night and even if she hit, she probably STILL wouldn't have won. Do people seriously think she could have beaten Kwan at Nationals without the fall(s)? Mk OWNED that event. As for Worlds, no one was beating Arakawa in 2004 or Slutskaya in 2005...

She was just a bit unlucky to have come up in an era that had some amazingly consistent skaters. She'd fit right in the current crop of skaters - no one (save Yuna Kim) has been convincing at all. Again, her only REAL chance (IMHO) was at 2006 Worlds. If she hit, even if she lost the FS to Meissner she still would have won overall.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013