John Galliano's anti-Semitic comments

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Eden, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a thread about it, and if I somehow missed, my apologies in advance.

John Galliano, Christian Dior's top fashion designer, is probably more than welcome to become Mel Gibson's BBF since the two share the same prejudice and hatred toward Jews.

Galliano's lawyer firmly denied that his client had made any racist or anti-Semitic remarks last Thursday, but the following recording, in which he declares that he loves Hitler, shows otherwise.

The releasing of the above tape led to the police investigation against the Brittish designer.

Dior, with zero-tolerence policy regarding race and religion, suspended Galliano from his responsibilities.

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Good for Dior.

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

:eek::mad::(
    Speaking of Mel Gibson, why was there a preview for a movie starring him when I went to see Black Swan the other day? I don't get why he gets so many chances! :rolleyes:

4. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this, Eden! :)

….:respec: for Dior's suspension of Galliano and for Natalie Portman for refusing to wear his dress.

5. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this, Eden. I'm not a fashionista by any means, but good for Dior, and good decision for Natalie Portman not to wear the dress she intended to wear at the Oscars.

6. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Disgusting. Good for Natalie for issuing a formal, public statement:

http://runway.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/28/natalie-portman-condemns-galliano/?ref=fashion

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011
  7. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Good for Dior, good for Natalie, and good for those four women who came forward even though none of them were Jewish. It's far too easy to ignore racism when it doesn't have to do with you personally.

I think this is the first time I've seen photos of Galliano, and he looks like a straight-up douche. :blah:

8. Norlite

Norlite New Member

This might be a little more for Portland than just refusing to wear a dress.

She is the new face of Dior. Not sure, or she hasn't said, what she plans on doing there. I would guess it depends on whether or not Dior ultimately fires him?

9. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

He has now been fired.

10. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

People tend to think that the fashion world is so diverse and open-minded, when it has an UN-PC streak running down its back a mile-wide. I recall seeing a picture of him walking down a runway in Hollywoodized Native American garb of all things. Like a reject from The Villiage People.

I am disappointed but not surprised in Galliano or his idiotic comments. Don't let the doorknob hit you on the way out, John. You might leave Crisco on it. :EVILLE:

11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

DUPLICATE POST

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  12. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

What a knob. I'm guessing the fact that Le Marais has been traditionally a Jewish area in Paris probably passed him by completely. :rolleyes:

13. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Considering she is a beloved and beautiful Oscar winner, and he's a doink, I think they'll do whatever she requests.

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

She might only have a deal for the fragrance part of the brand - it's already been noted that she hasn't been wearing Dior during awards season, so I'm guessing that wasn't part of the deal.

Either way - I applaud her decisiveness and sticking to her values, but also can't help but think she's in a good position to renegotiate that contract now that she has the Oscar, and this opens the door to that.

15. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Glad that Dior gave Galiano the :kickass:. I suppose he can get work doing the costumes for Mel Gibson's next film. :p

16. pixie cut

pixie cut Well-Known Member

Portman was asked about Galliano during the media op after she won her Oscar, but declined to answer. Glad she issued a statement.

17. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Not surprised. I've always found something obscene about him. You just knew there was something ugly behind that sneer of his.

18. LynnW

LynnW Politiking for Purple

I'm glad she issued a statement too, but I don't think it was Natalie who refused to answer. It was a representative of some kind (with the Academy?) who was standing by her who told her not to answer, something to the effect that they were moving on from that question.

19. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

I'm glad Dior fired him, too. If I were their customer I would have certainly stopped being one if they stuck up by him. I don't care for his "creative genius". If you say that someone's parents should have been gassed when millions of Jews had been, you're a vile human being.

As for him dissing someone's looks. I guess he doesn't have a mirror. He looks horrible.

20. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Yeah. In the past, Natalie has never shied away from defending Israel and has taken stances that could certainly be controversial, so I don't think she would have hesitated to answer the question if allowed.

21. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

At Harvard, Portman was Alan Dershowitz's research assistant. He also thanked her in his book "The Case for Israel".

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Civic

Civic New Member

I forgot she was a Harvard grad. It's just not fair! She has beauty, talent and brains.

23. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

About one of her controversial stances, I kinda wish she hadn't signed that Polanski petition. If her child is a girl, she's going to be feeling a bit weird when she turns 13.

24. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

I heard that awkward moment during Portman's press conference.

http://www.thewrap.com/node/25109

25. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

:scream:

26. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

An update:

Galliano issued a public apology for his behaviour "in causing any offence".
    Anti-Semitism and racism have no part in our society, he says in his statement.
    He checks into rehabilitation (for his drinking habits, not anti-semitic ideas).

Nevertheless, according to the
    French public prosecutor, Galliano will go before a court where he could face up to six months in prison and $31,000 in fines if convicted.

link

27. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

This is odd….. In his earlier days he used to claim he is a descendant from Sephardic Jews in Spain, that his maternal grand-mother was Jewess from Spain who married a Catholic …

He even dressed like a Hasidim for a while and created a number of outfits…..
    http://www.celebitchy.com/143792/jo.../fp_6884190_ang_gallianorabin_archives_02_06/

It is not a good idea to verbally attack strangers out of the blue, and shove chairs at people in cafes, and he deserves legal consequences.

No gay man seriously “Loves Hitler” (never mind “Jewish”)…. One of the set-in-stone facts most gays do know is that Hitler intended to exterminate homosexuals.

He had few more episodes of outrage where he insulted an Asian woman, called another woman ugly, etc…..

But I am not sure he is a “hard core” anti-Semite, but rather a Loose-mouth Shtettle-boy from the Pale who thinks he is “golden” and has a right to yell what comes to mind and most offensive at the moment without any “ideology” attached to it….

28. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^ Tinami has nailed the hammer on the head. Props.

29. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

The chair-thrower will be rich soon after milking the well-off Galliano.

Dior will be fine too, thanks to the brilliant PR campaign. As well as their faithful customers like myself. :summer:

Everybody's happy!

Almost. But I am sure Galliano will recover eventually. Sounds cynical, I know.

Btw, since the youtube link in OP is dead by now, on the site of The Sun, that was the first one to publish the video methinks, the video is still available (homepage-search "Galliano"). It was enough for Galliano's dismissal. As for the criminal trial, the French court has to find the video an admissible evidence since the private recording was done without Galliano's agreement. I wonder what the juridical outcome will be.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  30. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Life is like that. One of my best friends from High School is a former model, was class valedictorian, went to Northwestern, married a great guy with major family money (who also makes his own good money), and now lives in Amsterdam as a top executive for a major fashion label.

And while I'm also married to a great guy, I'm hardly as popular or smart, and certainly we are just struggling to make ends meet and never get to travel anymore. Her life is sybaritic, and mine is nothing but struggle.