John Coughlin Out Due to Hip Surgery

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Dec 5, 2012.

1. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I actually enjoyed John's honest and open dialogue/blog, an insight into not only him, but others as well. I was thinking of Michelle Kwan in particular, and the stress fracture she sustained during the 1997/1998 Olympic Season. IIRC there was a camera following her around that season, leading up to the Olympics, and what I recall most was how calm & nonchalant Michelle was about her stress fracture. Per usual she was matter of fact, nothing fazed her, smiling with a calm resolve. That's one thing I really admired about Michelle, she never felt the need to talk about herself (never even having an official website), she let her skates do the talking. And so it went with the stress fracture. She was better than ever at that Olympics (which I thought she should have won) as well as at Nationals.

Anyhow, it's interesting how athletes deal with adversity.

Another good example, Nancy Kerrigan, a truly heroic herculean fait accompli from 1994 Nationals to the Olympics. *bow*

2. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Agreed. It can't be easy to have one of the best seasons he's ever had as a skater with medals at the grand prix events end so suddenly. All athletes must be incredibly dedicated to their training and their goals, and this has to have thrown him for a bit of a loop. But I think this journal did a good job of describing the personal motivation he feels as well as his own attempts to keep his motivation under difficult circumstances. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  3. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

What I read into it is that John is trying to convince himself (himself being "the doubters") but it's coming off a little too over-the-top. The way it goes on and on, with phrases that are really in-your-face, is more cringeworthy than typical athletic bravado, more than even Ashley Wagner saying "it's mine to lose". I get it, it's "you and Caydee against the world" but it's about as obnoxious as one of those couples who brags about how in love they are - what they say in public tends to mask private turmoil. I really do wish him well though, and hope he can come to terms with and be realistic about this injury. I'm sure they will be fine in one year, and if they don't make the Olympics then it wasn't meant to be.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  4. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

He did mention this being hard on him and his own dreams, but also said
    Unless John has a line of doubts of his own that goes out the door and around the block, that definitely sounds like he's talking about outsiders doubting him, as well. And, while his approach of Get behind us or get out of the way won't necessarily work for everyone out there, I for one appreciate the honesty behind his post. YMMV, as ever with athlete blogs :).